Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renovation of derelict cottage - Mayo

• 24-09-2020 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice in relation to a renovation project i am considering, if anyone can assist i'd be extremely grateful.

Background;

- My father (Irish born & raised) has land upon which is the old family cottage (derelict for at least 80+ years)
    - Cottage as it stands (or barely stands) is in a poor state of disrepair - roof collapsed many years ago but probably 60% of the overall structure still remains

Plans;

- I (English born non Irish resident) would like to restore the cottage to a habitable state with a view to using it as a holiday home to enjoy for the years to come with my young family.

My father's brother in law built a new house on the land next door around 20 years ago without any bother (he does, however live there and is a resident).

I'm pretty confident planning permission would be required for the scheme, but as a non-resident, would this be likely? If someone could provide some insight into the planning process to help me find out whether this dream could actually be a reality?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

You will get a better answer in the construction and planning forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

The use of the structure as a residence will likely be considered to have 'withered' at this stage so you won't be able to simply re-roof it and move in. Planning permission will likely be needed for even the most basic renovation/remodelling. You will as part of the planning process be required by the Local Authority to upgrade (or probably installing a new) effluent treatment system. The cost of any such system will depend on the quality of the soil, drainage wise.

There is no 'local housing need' in large parts of the county away from the main towns, and the the fact that there is a dilapidated structure on the site is in your favour. make sure you include for enough land to be designated to the house to accomodate a new effluent treamtnet system (half an acre / 0.2 hec should suffice depending on site shape).

Get independent professional advice, it is unclear who is paying for the works or who will take ownership of the house, if half an acre of farmlnd is required to make it work people can understandably become rather less supportive of the enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

lostcat wrote: »
    The use of the structure as a residence will likely be considered to have 'withered' at this stage so you won't be able to simply re-roof it and move in. Planning permission will likely be needed for even the most basic renovation/remodelling. You will as part of the planning process be required by the Local Authority to upgrade (or probably installing a new) effluent treatment system. The cost of any such system will depend on the quality of the soil, drainage wise.

There is no 'local housing need' in large parts of the county away from the main towns, and the the fact that there is a dilapidated structure on the site is in your favour. make sure you include for enough land to be designated to the house to accomodate a new effluent treamtnet system (half an acre / 0.2 hec should suffice depending on site shape).

Get independent professional advice, it is unclear who is paying for the works or who will take ownership of the house, if half an acre of farmlnd is required to make it work people can understandably become rather less supportive of the enterprise.

His father owns the land so the locals have no real say
    One Avenue would be to to do everything in his fathers name as he originally a local
    Assuming the OPs father is still alive of course

Advertisement