Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Being asked for contribution

• 21-09-2020 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

I would like peoples opinion here, we live in an estate where we have a common green area. Couple of the locals decided to do up the green area - put some underlay, mulch, flowering plants etc. We thought maybe some of them had some free time and decided to do it up.

Well 2 weeks ago we got a letter saying that such and such was done and they are looking for €100 contribution towards it. With plans to add more improvements over the course of the year.

The letter wasn't a demand, but merely a request for the work they did. There are close to 40 houses in the estate, so if everyone would donate that will be €4,000

I don't feel like contributing, but the OH says we should - considering we live in the estate. What are people's thoughts on this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

id ask for a copy of receipts. I had a mate living in an estate with a similar scenario before, turns out the mastermind behind the whole thing's son was the landscaper doing the work and he had built in 200 a day labour for 5 days into the 'donations' spending.

if its just to buy gravel and mulch etc.. thats grand but with so many out of work id especially question if it was a cash grab.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Will it improve your estate and will you/wife be ok with being one of the few who won’t pay?

I doubt they are taking payment themselves, if you have cause to be suspicious of the costs involved, just say you would like a printout of costs at the end of the year.

They can’t force you to pay, but having a nicely kept estate would be important to most development owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

id ask for a copy of receipts. I had a mate living in an estate with a similar scenario before, turns out the mastermind behind the whole thing's son was the landscaper doing the work and he had built in 200 a day labour for 5 days into the 'donations' spending.

if its just to buy gravel and mulch etc.. thats grand but with so many out of work id especially question if it was a cash grab.

Yeah true - But is it common for such a thing. From what I can tell none of us we're asked for input.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They completely did this the wrong way around.

I wouldn't mind contributing to something like this at all, would be lovely to have someone take it upon themselves to do up the green area.

However, it's the presumptive going ahead with it and then sending me the bill after that would annoy me.

They should have sent a letter around saying that they were going to take it upon themselves to do this and they estimate it would cost x amount per household.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Well 2 weeks ago we got a letter saying that such and such was done and they are looking for €100 contribution towards it. With plans to add more improvements over the course of the year.

The letter wasn't a demand, but merely a request for the work they did. There are close to 40 houses in the estate, so if everyone would donate that will be €4,000

I don't feel like contributing, but the OH says we should

If you believe €100 is excessive you can see what was done, you can see what is planned.
    Bear in mind that not all 40 houses will contribute.
    You would be surprised how many residents will contribute nada.

Ultimately you have a choice, get involved or do nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

We have this where I live and I do pay it. It is done by the resident association. The process is very transparent. Accounts/quotes are put in your letterbox if you were not at the meeting. It makes the estate looks well and does add to house value. Money is dropped into one house and they ask that it is dropped in anonymous.

Yeah true - But is it common for such a thing. From what I can tell none of us we're asked for input.

sadly so. Theres always one Del Boy with a ride on mower in an estate who reckons he can get a swift few hundred a year to cut some grass or plant a tree.

Miaireland wrote: »
    We have this where I live and I do pay it. It is done by the resident association. The process is very transparent. Accounts/quotes are put in your letterbox if you were not at the meeting. It makes the estate looks well and does add to house value. Money is dropped into one house and they ask that it is dropped in anonymous.

this is absolutely the right way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If you feel it’s worth it contribute but make it clear that there should be a statement of what was actually spent and that you won’t be contributing again unless it’s notified beforehand.

So the 100 euro ain't a problem. But we are part of a local WhatsApp group too, why not post on it saying we plan to do up the green, any suggestions etc. Make everyone feel part of the process and maybe help out with some of the work etc.

I am also not scared they will run off with the money. Just the fact we aren't asked for opinions or suggestions, but only to pay the contribution.

• Advertisement

sadly so. Theres always one Del Boy with a ride on mower in an estate who reckons he can get a swift few hundred a year to cut some grass or plant a tree.

You must live in a rough spot , my experience of this has always been people giving their time with no personal gain. We were part of the group in one place we lived, no one ever took a cent for themselves and it was very satisfying for everyone involved to look at how nice the place looked. I have no doubt it added value to our house when we sold it as the estate looked like a really nice place to live.

So the 100 euro ain't a problem. But we are part of a local WhatsApp group too, why not post on it saying we plan to do up the green, any suggestions etc. Make everyone feel part of the process and maybe help out with some of the work etc.

I am also not scared they will run off with the money. Just the fact we aren't asked for opinions or suggestions, but only to pay the contribution.

Ask 40 people for suggestions, you get 40 different suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

4k is a massive amount and I’d be very hesitant not only to see someone stung for this, but to also allow a precedent be set for this kind of retrospective spending and then asking for money. I’d also worry about personal ( ie awful) projects being indertaken by an enthuiastic few that are garish, downgrade the area or are hust expensive vanity projects that change the integrity of the area/green. . I’ve seen it before ( the doo-er uppers) and I would agree that there has to be some kind of majority advance concensus. I’d also be asking to see accounts for the spend - if the 4k figure is real then there should be some accountability for it. For some e100 is a lot, and often others just reap the benefits but will always refuse to contribute. They may have been bored or overenthuiastic but it sets a poor precedent and I would worry about it becoming a repeat event and source of financial embarassment and hostility between neighbours.

( Mulch/bark blows away. I personally consider it a total waste of money albeit temporarily pretty).

4k is a massive amount and I’d be very hesitant not only to see someone stung for this, but to also allow a precedent be set for this kind of retrospective spending and then asking for money. I’d also worry about personal ( ie awful) projects being indertaken by an enthuiastic few that are garish, downgrade the area or are hust expensive vanity projects that change the integrity of the area/green. . I’ve seen it before ( the doo-er uppers) and I would agree that there has to be some kind of majority advance concensus. I’d also be asking to see accounts for the spend - if the 4k figure is real then there should be some accountability for it. For some e100 is a lot, and often others just reap the benefits but will always refuse to contribute. They may have been bored or overenthuiastic but it sets a poor precedent and I would worry about it becoming a repeat event and source of financial embarassment and hostility between neighbours.

( Mulch/bark blows away. I personally consider it a total waste of money albeit temporarily pretty).

Makes you wonder why anyone bothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

We are coming into winter time now and frosts are expected next week. WTF is the point of putting out flowers and mulch at this time of the year? €100 is a lot of money.

Busybodies look for easy tax free cash, IMO. Ignore it.

If it improves the area I wouldn't have a problem contributing as it will make the place look better and may increase the value of the houses.

But if it was a load of unnecessary work I'd be letting them know not to come knocking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

100 quid per household does seem very steep in fairness. Its no harm asking politely on your whats app group, if they can post a breakdown of the expenses /accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

They should have consulted people in advance. There’s no excuse with WhatsApp already being used in your estate.

They should also be providing a detailed breakdown of exactly what was spent to date and what costs they have planned for the remainder of the work.

Throwing down a few bags of mulch and then expecting €100 from everyone without being up front and clear is a bit rich.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Ask 40 people for suggestions, you get 40 different suggestions.
    Makes you wonder why anyone bothers.

For a person who made the earlier comment, you certainly don't like other people giving their opinions right ? :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your comments, I think I will just give it this time - After all it is 100 bucks and we may stay in the estate for a while !

Will ask for breakdown of the prices too

• Advertisement

For a person who made the earlier comment, you certainly don't like other people giving their opinions right ? :rolleyes:

Tom, have you any reason to think your neighbours are pocketing cash or in this for personal gain? To accept some of the crap posted here, is so assume you live next to thieving scumbags trying to shaft their neighbours.

Tom, have you any reason to think your neighbours are pocketing cash or in this for personal gain? To accept some of the crap posted here, is so assume you live next to thieving scumbags trying to shaft their neighbours.

But I think having multiple point of view is good to make a decision !

Me and the OH have spoke about this in length and the reason I posted this here is to get some more opinions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Putting down flowering plants the last week of September isn't very bright?

You would need a vast quantity of said plants to reach 4k!! Have they created a center park type environment?

I always support enthusiasm but you can't be serious in this case.

Secondly its generally better to discuss and propose any idea first before undertaking and spending your own money. Usually money is collected and the money buys what it can. I have never had a scenario where individuals spend 4k and hope their neighbours will reimburse them??

How realistic does that sound?

I would want every receipt and cost marked out before I parted with cash. Maybe post a picture of this work they have done.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’ve posted already but I’d like to add, make sure all the money is going on materials. If these people are looking for money for their time I’d be telling them to do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

€100 now, how much in the future? How much per year?
    Asking for money without saying how the money was spent is suspicious, especially when the pinch is being felt by everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Lantus wrote: »
    Putting down flowering plants the last week of September isn't very bright?
    it is when you plant spring bulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

it is when you plant spring bulbs

and autumn bedding plants

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

100eur is a lot. I live in a similar sized estate and that kinda money also pays for grass cutting for the green areas.....and some kids events.

Sounds to me like somebody is turning a profit on this......if they have a reasonable return expect a second call for money next year for a tidy up & new plants again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

OP, I think you'd be foolish to just handover 100 quid without knowing how they came to that number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Miaireland wrote: »

Thats the only proper way to do it

Advertisement