Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vesta Living - Clongriffin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Fompi

Mr.S wrote: »
    I think that’s his point, don’t use ‘em if you can as the benefit is fire safety.

Ah ok. Well. Unless you live alone with no pets, I can't see how it could be done. And what about the corridor constantly being in the dark...
    I get the point but I couldnt live like that

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KP247

Fompi wrote: »
    Ah ok. Well. Unless you live alone with no pets, I can't see how it could be done. And what about the corridor constantly being in the dark...
    I get the point but I couldnt live like that

By remaining closed they give the occupants of the bedrooms valuable time to escape/stay clear of smoke in the event of a fire. Ultimately, it's your call, fingers crossed there's never a fire.

KP247 wrote: »
    By remaining closed they give the occupants of the bedrooms valuable time to escape/stay clear of smoke in the event of a fire. Ultimately, it's your call, fingers crossed there's never a fire.

Totally understand. But I have a cat

Totally understand. But I have a cat

Just need to train it to extinguish fires :pac: sorted :D

Just need to train it to extinguish fires :pac: sorted :D

Hahhahaha he's way too lazy for that unfortunately :D

Joke aside, I wonder how many people actually leave the doors closed...

• Advertisement

Hahhahaha he's way too lazy for that unfortunately :D

Joke aside, I wonder how many people actually leave the doors closed...

Unfortunately not enough, hence the severe punishments for people found neglecting them: :eek::eek::eek: -

“It shall be the duty of every person having control over premises to which this section applies to –
    (a) take all reasonable measures to guard against the outbreak of fire on such premises,
    (b) provide reasonable fire safety measures for such premises and prepare and provide appropriate fire safety procedures for ensuring the safety of persons on such premises,
    (c) ensure that the fire safety measures and procedures referred to in paragraph (b) are applied at all times, and
    (d) ensure, as far as is reasonably practicable, the safety of persons on the premises in the event of an outbreak of fire whether such outbreak has occurred or not.”

A person convicted for an offence under the above may be liable to a maximum fine of €12,697.38 and/or imprisonment for a period not exceeding two years.

Don't worry Fompi, we won't tell :D

Unfortunately not enough, hence the severe punishments for people found neglecting them: :eek::eek::eek: -

“It shall be the duty of every person having control over premises to which this section applies to –
    (a) take all reasonable measures to guard against the outbreak of fire on such premises,
    (b) provide reasonable fire safety measures for such premises and prepare and provide appropriate fire safety procedures for ensuring the safety of persons on such premises,
    (c) ensure that the fire safety measures and procedures referred to in paragraph (b) are applied at all times, and
    (d) ensure, as far as is reasonably practicable, the safety of persons on the premises in the event of an outbreak of fire whether such outbreak has occurred or not.”

A person convicted for an offence under the above may be liable to a maximum fine of €12,697.38 and/or imprisonment for a period not exceeding two years.

Don't worry Fompi, we won't tell :D

hmmmmm, €12,697.38 fine OR a cat that constantly scratches the doors to get in, or out, or neither, or both. Or worse, having to sleep with the cat AND the litter tray.
    I'll take the fine, thanks :D

hmmmmm, €12,697.38 fine OR a cat that constantly scratches the doors to get in, or out, or neither, or both. Or worse, having to sleep with the cat AND the litter tray.
    I'll take the fine, thanks :D

Jeez and I thought having a beagle puppy was tough work :D

Jeez and I thought having a beagle puppy was tough work :D

awww my favourite type of doggo <3

Are the TV channels provided through the Virgin connection SD only, or has someone gotten HD to work?

I notice that some of the channels picked up are the HD version but are getting displayed are SD.

Same issue here... I asked when I moved in in February, if we could have the HD (even if we have to pay more?) but they seemed to have no idea what I was talking about. Husband is really missing his HD sports channel. And it's a shame when we have a good TV, we can really see it's SD only :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 eagle.eye

One more thing on the art topic - has any of you managed to remove the pictures that were installed in the apartments? We were hoping to use the hooks to hang some of our heavy or non-command-strips-compatible pictures but it looks like the pictures are glued to the wall!
    So not only there's no hook but also no chance to replace them with family photos :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 OutlanderWitch

I think my other half said the picture are velcro stuck to the wall. I'll ask him about it tomorrow

We're nearly three weeks here now and getting along ok. For the most part everything works. I have been having a bit of a mare with the air in the place, and a lot of trouble sleeping. I have insomnia and I work late hours (until 6am) so I need a very quiet, dark and cold room to sleep in. The "black out" blinds aren't quite so black out because of the gaps around the edge, so I stuff a blanket up on top of the blind to block out the rest. Going to contact Vesta and ask can we put up curtains as room is far too bright for light sleepers.

Dry air is a real problem. The vents run air so dry that I wake up with a sore throat each morning. Have had a dry cough that started after the first few days (not covid 😂). Only solution is leaving the window open all night but then the noise of what appears to be most musical birds I've ever come across keeps me awake. I'm slowly becoming a old wan yelling at birds. We've gone so far as to leave open the balcony door wide open and prop open the rest just to try and create more natural airflow in the apartment. We're looking into humidifiers instead of the vents to try and help the auld lungs.

I sound like a walking disaster!

We've had the heating turned off since day one. Dear God the place is warm! I think the windows and doors are open almost 24 hours a day.

Other than all that I'm loving it 😀 can't wait to have neighbours and meet everyone. We have the entire floor to ourselves which is making everything feel even more apocalyptic than ever.

Oh also, Pinergy happens to be one of the most expensive electricity companies. We've already contacted Vesta and they confirmed you can change providers, you're not obligated to stay. We're waiting for some kind of code atm and then will be shifting. There's others that are 30% cheaper!

Regarding the pictures: mine were easy to remove, I just needed to pull towards me from the bottom then push up. They were stuck to a massive piece of wood which appeared to be stuck to the wall. Thankfully I had frames deep enough to fit on this piece of wood. At first I thought I would just open them up and replace the picture but it turns out they would be ruined if you do, so they're sitting in the boiler room.
    Friends moved in next door and I went over to do my trick on the frames but they appear to be fully stuck to the walls, no way I could move them either from the botton or the top... what the ????

The blinds now, you made me laugh Outlander, because I do the exact same thing to block the sides, but with scarves on each side!
    I also wake up with a sore throat and of course it's the Covid until I realise it might just be the air, hahahaha. I'm not too bothered though.

The birds. OH MY GOD I LOVE the birds, don't you dare yelling at my birds :D It totally feels like we're in a jungle! I keep my windows open only to hear them, such a delight. (but, ok, I can understand they might be a bit too loud :D)

The warmth. It was 25° yesterday in my apartment. Without heating. So yes, it's warm. Really warm. Really REALLY warm. But when I went to my friends' apartement I noticed a big drop in temperature compared to mine. They're on the 1st floor, I'm on the 5th so I assumed I get ALL OF THE SUN and they dont have any. I also assume apartments on the north side are not as warm... But I like it, not complaining (remind me of that in July when I complain I'm roasting)

And finally, WHAT? We can change provider :o Now that's a good news!!!! How do you do that? Technically I mean?
    I'm spending around €30 per week without ANY heating at all so yes, that's really expensive.

What's a MPRN code?

The electricity meter identifier that gets issued to all properties and is linked to whatever provider to pick.

so Vesta has to provide this code for me? Or I can find it somewhere?

Did you change yourself?

It’s usually on your electric bill or confirmation order when you change providers, but as it’s currently prepay and there are no bills - Vesta need to provide it to you.

No I haven’t done it in these apartments but Switching is very standard and most people do it every year to avail of the new customer switching bonuses.

I’ve never switched from Prepay to standard plans, but I assume it’s no different but Pinergy might come take their PAYG meter back. I’ve heard they usually just leave them and disable them though.

I've been in this country 10 years and never changed providers... I thought they were all more or less the same but this time I find Pinergy REALLY expensive. Right, so if they are supposed to take their meter back (or disable), that means the new provider has to put their own meter?

The providers are all the same in the sense they provide electricity (;)) but there are tons of different price plans and offers.

Plus, to attract new customers, all providers offer new customer or switching bonuses - eg if you switched to Electric Ireland today you would get €175 in credits and a 5.5% discount on the unit charges. If you do this every 12 months, you can always avail of a new providers switching bonus :)

Every property has an electricity meter that remains even when you switch, but there's an additional meter for Prepay accounts which might might need to be removed (by them) or they just disable it and leave it (most likely).

Prepay is more expensive by default as it pushes connivence and more control on your "bill" - but in reality you pay extra for that. It's also easier for landlords to manage so probably why they did it for all these apartments by default.

Thanks for all the info! I'll see if I'm brave enough to spend time on this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dedgunns

Thanks for all the info! I'll see if I'm brave enough to spend time on this :)

Thanks for this info. Will definitely change providers when we move in. Checked bonkers there, pinergy are estimated as one of the most expensive options....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mackers42

Hi!
    Bit spooked at the moment, we got a new tv delivered and then almost 10 mins later there was drone outside our balcony looking at the tv, the guy took the drone in his car and drove off, called the cops. Any advice? Is there an issue with the area?

Mackers42 wrote: »
    Hi!
    Bit spooked at the moment, we got a new tv delivered and then almost 10 mins later there was drone outside our balcony looking at the tv, the guy took the drone in his car and drove off, called the cops. Any advice? Is there an issue with the area?

??? :eek: Never had any problem so far, that's really weird :confused:

• Advertisement

I’m genuinely scared to be honest, in terms of breaking the lease and moving out what do you reckon would happen?

I know it's scary but I wouldnt move out for this!? Bad things happen everywhere and we're definitely not in a bad area. Try not to worry too much, just keep an eye out

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AC2020

Hi!

When we first moved in after about two weekend when our parents came to visit they spotted a drone outside our balcony on 5th floor never seen since but couldn’t see where came from

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AC2020

Hi

Just wondering has anyone hung up curtains and how did they go about it? Our little boys room is really bright in the mornings and even going to bed. We need more black out 🙈 thank you

AC2020 wrote: »
    When we first moved in after about two weekend when our parents came to visit they spotted a drone outside our balcony on 5th floor never seen since but couldn’t see where came from

Thinking about it I reckon it’s just Vesta checking something I really don’t think my tv is like a drug lords dream tv 😂

Regarding the pictures: mine were easy to remove, I just needed to pull towards me from the bottom then push up. They were stuck to a massive piece of wood which appeared to be stuck to the wall. Thankfully I had frames deep enough to fit on this piece of wood. At first I thought I would just open them up and replace the picture but it turns out they would be ruined if you do, so they're sitting in the boiler room.
    Friends moved in next door and I went over to do my trick on the frames but they appear to be fully stuck to the walls, no way I could move them either from the botton or the top... what the ????

The blinds now, you made me laugh Outlander, because I do the exact same thing to block the sides, but with scarves on each side!
    I also wake up with a sore throat and of course it's the Covid until I realise it might just be the air, hahahaha. I'm not too bothered though.

The birds. OH MY GOD I LOVE the birds, don't you dare yelling at my birds :D It totally feels like we're in a jungle! I keep my windows open only to hear them, such a delight. (but, ok, I can understand they might be a bit too loud :D)

The warmth. It was 25° yesterday in my apartment. Without heating. So yes, it's warm. Really warm. Really REALLY warm. But when I went to my friends' apartement I noticed a big drop in temperature compared to mine. They're on the 1st floor, I'm on the 5th so I assumed I get ALL OF THE SUN and they dont have any. I also assume apartments on the north side are not as warm... But I like it, not complaining (remind me of that in July when I complain I'm roasting)

And finally, WHAT? We can change provider :o Now that's a good news!!!! How do you do that? Technically I mean?
    I'm spending around €30 per week without ANY heating at all so yes, that's really expensive.

:pac: They're things only a total insomniac like myself would care about ha. My partner is the heaviest sleeper in the world, a train could drive through the room and he wouldn't budge, and meanwhile I'm trying to quieten birdsong! I'm also on a high floor and facing the park so it's sun all day long. It's easy enough to keep the living room cool now, the summer might be a fun challenge :D I'm surprised with how little wind the balconies actually get! I was up on top of the penthouse roof during the open day and was nearly blown off of it, but balcony seems to be pretty protected.

Yep delighted to be changing provider, we've been around that price too per week so it'll be much better after we switch.

Also, even if anyone doesn't want the hassle of changing, it's worth calling up and saying you want to, they immediately offered us a better rate to try and get us to stay.

Thinking about it I reckon it’s just Vesta checking something I really don’t think my tv is like a drug lords dream tv &#55357;&#56834;

When we were picking our apartment off the website, we thought how it would be handy to fly a drone up to film from the floors we were considering, so we could tell what the view was like. We don't have one so we didn't do it, and while it is super unlikely that he was doing the same, it is possible. Basically I'm saying there could like a hundred reasons you wouldn't imagine that could be the answer.

Also my partner saw the drone and noted he thought it was a Mavic Pro 2, which is a €1.5k drone. Might be a bit too high spec for standard tv burglers.

So no issue from moving off pre-pay to another provider? Excellent!

Haven't got to that point yet unforch. We're waiting for Pineregy to email us the code. They are taking longer than expected , probably due to covid. We talked to them, got their counter offer, declined and then they accepted our leaving and said they would email code. Assuming there is some kind of final discussion they had to have with Vesta themselves. Can't forsee any further problems once we get code. We've been chasing them up with emails but I think we'll have to call them again to get it.

I could be wrong, but it would also appear than Pinergy have no cheaper night time rate, so that whole giant storage heater than only turns on at night to save electricity costs isn't saving anything extra and will get charged as standard rate.

When we were picking our apartment off the website, we thought how it would be handy to fly a drone up to film from the floors we were considering, so we could tell what the view was like. We don't have one so we didn't do it, and while it is super unlikely that he was doing the same, it is possible. Basically I'm saying there could like a hundred reasons you wouldn't imagine that could be the answer.

Also my partner saw the drone and noted he thought it was a Mavic Pro 2, which is a €1.5k drone. Might be a bit too high spec for standard tv burglers.

Thanks it was completely over the top yesterday 😊, not sinister at all. One of those days
    Just wondering since you have investigated everything incredibly well did they provide a cable for the tv when you moved in?

They don’t provide a TV cable but can be bought in any electrical shop / online for a few euro!

We moved in a week ago and we received a TV cable along with the key cards. Maybe just ask at the reception desk tomorrow :)

• Advertisement

Oh weird when we moved in they told us to bring our own :D

I suppose they keep improving. Also when we moved in, the apartment was clean. No dirt or dust at all.

Advertisement