Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,045 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ginger83 wrote: »
    States its a national study, 85,000 farm.

I'm not saying everyone gets it but from my experiences i've spent 30yrs listening to farmers whinging its not worth it yet in that time i can't remember 1 ever giving it up.

Can't remember 1 ever giving it up.
    Ah come on ffs!
    I've been to 3 dairy clearance sales this spring and there were more around the marts that I haven't been to. (Just in the locality (southeast) ).
    It's not an exodus but there's always a % who "give up" every year.

How do you not know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

There figures only include the day to day running costs of the farm they don't include the loans that the farm has or the farmers wage.
    Not fair that it's broadcast that way as it gives off an untrue picture.

I'm sure you're right but neither has the national average wage.

Can't remember 1 ever giving it up.
    Ah come on ffs!
    I've been to 3 dairy clearance sales this spring and there were more around the marts that I haven't been to. (Just in the locality (southeast) ).
    It's not an exodus but there's always a % who "give up" every year.

How do you not know this?

I'm sure some do, for various reasons, celtic tiger debt etc. I'm just saying I don't know of any who have left.

I'm sure some do, for various reasons, celtic tiger debt etc. I'm just saying I don't know of any who have left.

Are you a farmer?
    Do you attend Mart sales days?
    Are you in the loop?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sillycave

We got out of dairying this year for a couple of reasons but one of the biggest was money (or lack off)
    I know in my area alone in the last 3-5 years a couple more who have got out
    I can tell you one thing that if we could have came out with anywhere near that sort of money at the end of the year there would still be cows on our farm

• Advertisement

Are you a farmer?
    Do you attend Mart sales days?
    Are you in the loop?

My wife came from farming background but drystock. She'd disagree also but they never had dairy.

Sillycave wrote: »
    We got out of dairying this year for a couple of reasons but one of the biggest was money (or lack off)
    I know in my area alone in the last 3-5 years a couple more who have got out
    I can tell you one thing that if we could have came out with anywhere near that sort of money at the end of the year there would still be cows on our farm

I'm sorry to hear that, not here to have a pop, just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

There figures only include the day to day running costs of the farm they don't include the loans that the farm has or the farmers wage.
    Not fair that it's broadcast that way as it gives off an untrue picture.

Exactly why profit monitors are a ball of ****e and shame on Tegasc and who ever else who abuse our financial details and allow them be prostituted so easily

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm making a decent stab of it dairying here and happy enough, but the simple reality is that I could walk into at least 10 other jobs in the morning and make more money for alot less effort/stress etc.

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm making a decent stab of it dairying here and happy enough, but the simple reality is that I could walk into at least 10 other jobs in the morning and make more money for alot less effort/stress etc.

Would you have many milking cows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

https://twitter.com/dairymanNZ/status/999031945555144704?s=19

7 dollars a kg, how does that translate here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mooooo wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/dairymanNZ/status/999031945555144704?s=19

7 dollars a kg, how does that translate here?

About €4.10 /kg of solids. Kg of solids to us ATM is worth €4.97 on the Glanbia statement

Did you go to the Mart after?

I sent you a pm there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Yeh got the pm Say, too busy today, will try Blessington tomorrow instead!

115. More cows doesn't have much relevance in how "rich" you will get from dairying, once your above a critical mass of say 70cows in a well run system, you're at your limit for doing everything in house, you then need to start contracting out most machinery work, up at the 115 you definitely need more hired labour for likes of calving season etc, that or throw money at items such as auto calf feeders, auto drafting etc etc. Pushing up about 160 then you're into fulltime labour units etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭visatorro

115. More cows doesn't have much relevance in how "rich" you will get from dairying, once your above a critical mass of say 70cows in a well run system, you're at your limit for doing everything in house, you then need to start contracting out most machinery work, up at the 115 you definitely need more hired labour for likes of calving season etc, that or throw money at items such as auto calf feeders, auto drafting etc etc. Pushing up about 160 then you're into fulltime labour units etc.

Moo money, moo problems!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Often you hear guys asking how many cows to make a living but its more important to get the system right than thinking of what the number is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

It would appear that fixing at 30 or under will now more than likely have been a mistake, if this is the bottom of the cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

Great to hear, rather than the dribble we have been listening to from elsewhere...

It would appear that fixing at 30 or under will now more than likely have been a mistake, if this is the bottom of the cycle

Have portions fixed at 30.6 and over 31 and regret nor will I doing it .milk will go well under 30 and maby nearer 20 as well as going in mid/high 30s .ill take the hit when higher but reap the benefits when lower as I couldn’t nor could any Irish farmer a prolonged spell in low/mid20s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭jaymla627

95% of my 2018 milk is fixed here, with glanbia so it's a no -brainier, given co-op supports are paid on top of fixed milk and are used to prop up base millk price at every opertiunity...
    Butter is driving the revival at the minute, smp/wmp are noting to get excited about price wise, I love the security of having milk fixed can plan my budgets and do projections without worrying about another year like 16

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

I thought we were heading to sub 30 cent but looks like that was wrong thankfully. It seems like no one has a clue where prices will be in 3 months time.
    Jack Kennedy was talking up prices during the spring and he was getting slated on here. I thought he was wrong aswell.

Bel has upped their price to 37cpl + vat for all 2018.

Seems the French Coops are going to push farmers into non-gmo.
    Lots of Coops, including my own, are pushing hard for this. Looking like an extra 1.7cpl for non-gmo milk and an extra 0.8cpl for cows that are grazed.
    Lactalis are even going with it, and they wouldn’t be a small Coop...

Probably get the non-gmo bonus for a while and then it’ll taken for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Bel has upped their price to 37cpl + vat for all 2018.

Seems the French Coops are going to push farmers into non-gmo.
    Lots of Coops, including my own, are pushing hard for this. Looking like an extra 1.7cpl for non-gmo milk and an extra 0.8cpl for cows that are grazed.
    Lactalis are even going with it, and they wouldn’t be a small Coop...

Probably get the non-gmo bonus for a while and then it’ll taken for granted.
    Do you see it benefiting you much on the crops side of things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

jaymla627 wrote: »
    95% of my 2018 milk is fixed here, with glanbia so it's a no -brainier, given co-op supports are paid on top of fixed milk and are used to prop up base millk price at every opertiunity...
    Butter is driving the revival at the minute, smp/wmp are noting to get excited about price wise, I love the security of having milk fixed can plan my budgets and do projections without worrying about another year like 16

Skim is moving out of intervention fairly quickly and is expected to be mostly gone by the end of the year. And a profit for the EU in holding it albeit a small profit compared to previously.

And without an overhang of skim stocks, skim will tip along nicely as well so all positives in the short term, I think.

• Advertisement

Do you see it benefiting you much on the crops side of things?

Can’t say really because there’s no gmo allowed here. Gmo soya is pretty much all that French farmers use anyhow.
    I’m gmo free already and self-sufficient in feed.

Advertisement