Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lodger terms and conditions

Options
  • 06-10-2015 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

leanbh wrote: »
    My brother is thinking of taking in a lodger Monday to Friday only, a student. What's the usual way holidays are dealt with. Do people charge a lodger for mid term and Christmas? Or is that usually waived?
    Also do people generally let them wash clothes or do they bring clothes home at weekends? He's not great at washing!! He cooks a mean curry so dinner shouldnt be a problem!!

Really depends on what he wants to do.
    The lodger should be washing his own clothes. Whether your brother let's them use his washing machine or brings it home is his choice.
    People I know usually provide breakfast but the student gets their own meals in college.
    He's keeping the room available to them during holidays. No reason not to be paid but again it's his choice.
    The one thing to do is make the rules clear to the lodger and if they are broken they go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Meals are generally included in a digs type situation but a lodger should be more of a houseshare with an owner occupier situation. I find it strange that you even need to ask if they should be allowed wash their own clothes. A lodger usually has a room of their own and access to common areas and equipment including the kitchen and washing machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

athtrasna wrote: »
    Meals are generally included in a digs type situation but a lodger should be more of a houseshare with an owner occupier situation. I find it strange that you even need to ask if they should be allowed wash their own clothes. A lodger usually has a room of their own and access to common areas and equipment including the kitchen and washing machine.

Meals aren't necessarily included. My neighbour has students and they eat their main meals in college.

I think you need to clarify exactly what the setup is.

Taking in a lodger can fall under two headings really. Renting a room same as in a housesshare where the person has their room and access to the common areas and all facilities and bills are shared between everyone in the house etc. This would be the more common situation nowadays. People would tend to have have 24/7/365 access to the house and their room in this scenario though.

The other is a digs type scenario as mentioned above, usually only done with students nowadays where the rent is all inclusive and meals are prepared for the lodger etc.

Which type is your brother looking to do? If I was him it would be the first option without doubt.

As for holidays etc, if they are allowed to stay in the house then they should pay (even if they don't actually stay there) if he specifies they can't stay during holidays then they shouldn't pay. If he is specifying they can only stay Monday to Friday this should be accounted for in the rent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭leanbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I wouldn't pay for a week that I wasn't using the room. I don't recollect how it worked when I was in digs (it was many years ago), but I did pay on a weekly basis. My landlady was a lovely woman, breakfast and dinner was provided, access to the kitchen and a small living room. She had a separate sitting room that she reserved for her own use. We were in the house Sunday evening to Friday.

The way you describe it I would think that the person should probably only pay when they are staying there and not pay for holidays etc particularly as the rent includes food etc also rather than just the room as it would in a normal houseshare situation.

Another things to keep in mind as mentioned by the poster above it will probably be Sunday night to Thursday night (and back home Friday) rather than Monday to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Would think it would be a Sunday night to Friday morning, or possibly Friday Evening type setup. It would largely depend on the students timetable. In the situation you have described it would be most unusual to pay for the weeks that the students were not in the house. A digs situations borders on a long term B&B type situation.
    The rates would depend on the part of the country of course, and whether you wanted to have people staying in your digs at the weekend would be entirely up to you.
    From all the way back in the late 90's (hence the prices)when I did a short stint in digs, with a family, the rates were as follows weekdays £50, full week £65.
    Breakfast was a box a cereal, a jug of milk left in common room, and dinner meat and two veg. You would never forget what day of the week it was by the menu, and the same dessert every day, viennetta ice-cream they must have had a freezer full of it. :P

I only occasional stay at the weekend when I got a casual days work, and found the food during the week very meh, but the dad in the house always cooked at the weekend, who was actually a great cook. If he was there during the week, we would have looked forward to the dinners. I think digs suit a certain kind of person, only.

I only occasional stay at the weekend

Looks like the ops brother is specifically excluding weekends so the person will have to be gone Friday evening and not back until late Sunday evening/night I'd imagine. Often you find people in these situations bring their bag in the morning when going to college and then onto the bus in the afternoon so there is a good chance the person will be gone Friday morning to Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The best thing to do is probably to get in touch with the local university. Most universities will usually have an office on-campus specifically involved in finding digs for students, so can go through the whole process with him.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MaryMD

Its usually a standard rent per month is it not? I mean regardless of whether Christmas etc is in the month of not they still pay? They should be able to access all kitchen facilities, cooking , washing clothes etc when they want too

MaryMD wrote: »
    Its usually a standard rent per month is it not? I mean regardless of whether Christmas etc is in the month of not they still pay? They should be able to access all kitchen facilities, cooking , washing clothes etc when they want too

Things work a bit different in a digs scenario as others have said its sort if in the direction of long term B&B. People tend to have to vacate at weekends, limited access to kitchen etc. Paying weekly makes more sense in this scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

MaryMD wrote: »

Paying per month makes more sense I think, more so for the owner, thing is, if its per certain usage, just because a person isn't there, doesnt mean the room can be let, so its unusable, I'd be charging per the full time as its unusable for short periods of non use, I don't think I'd describe it as like a b and b scenario as a b & b would be significantly dearer per day anyway.
    Things work a bit different in a digs scenario as others have said its sort if in the direction of long term B&B. People tend to have to vacate at weekends, limited access to kitchen etc. Paying weekly makes more sense in this scenario.

More sense for the person paying maybe, but it makes for an inconvenient way to collect

cerastes wrote: »
    More sense for the person paying maybe, but it makes for an inconvenient way to collect

I wouldn't see any inconvenience for either party. Its not like a LL having to call around to a house etc. the person is living there, lodger can just hand cash to the person who owns the house on the Monday evening or Thursday evening or what ever way they want it done.

I was saying earlier that the person should pay for holidays but then again its different to a houseshare, for a start the person wont be allowed to stay there at weekend which makes a big distinction and as the rent is also taking into account the cost of the food being provided then I would see it as being a bit unfair to ask for rent (or the full rent anyway) when the person isn't there as there will be less costs.

I don't really know to be honest how digs work from a holiday perspective as I've never been in them. Input from those who have will tell us more on how things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I have two students , 5 beds so loads of room.

Breakfast provided, give choice of 4/5 ceraels, toast, crackers, fruit, ricecakes OJ Tea/Coffee, its laid of table to help themselves.

I cook evening meal dinner

Help themselves to tea/coffee and biscuit jar.

They use the whole house, I give them towels and stuff for showers in their own bathroom.

I dont' charge when they are not here, I know neither families are getting grants to help with accommodation.

Arrive sunday night and go Friday morning.

To be honest Monday to Friday lets are suited more to professionals with family elsewhere or else to students who are 2/3 hours from home. If I was a student I wouldn't fancy the 5 hour journey each way to get back to West Cork because my landlord doesn't want me around

To be honest Monday to Friday lets are suited more to professionals with family elsewhere or else to students who are 2/3 hours from home. If I was a student I wouldn't fancy the 5 hour journey each way to get back to West Cork because my landlord doesn't want me around

In this case it seems like its the lodger that isn't wanting to stay to try reduce the amount to pay though.
    Personally I'd view it poorly if they were giving notice so short to changing the agreement to reduce what they think is due part way through just because they want to save money, that's not yours or the brothers problem, you'd be better off with a full time lodger contributing as when the student is away, its not like you can organise to fill the room on short term letting for a number of reasons.
    Looks like the lodger is getting the best of all options, I'd have made it clear from the start what I'd have wanted, what you and the brother want is your choices, but looks to me to be too much messing about and not a definite contribution,

But are they reducing the amount to get their own back as the owner won't agree to them being around at weekends? If they had been staying weekends then surely the rent would have increased

• Advertisement

But are they reducing the amount to get their own back as the owner won't agree to them being around at weekends? If they had been staying weekends then surely the rent would have increased

Get their own back? Shouldn't come into it, ie adults, not having people around full-time if they don't want to pay a greater amount seems a reasonable trade on both parties if thats agreeable, owner has place to self at weekends/lodger pays less for their advantage, thats how digs usually goes, but then to have the lodger dictate terms by reducing the time to furtherreduce the costs, people need a fixed amount planned and known coming in and minimum hassle.
    I'd make clear the conditions at the start, fix and agree to that or everyone moves on to what they are willing to accept.
    Anyone getting back at me would be viewed dimly and changes of agreements would be met with short shrift unless temporary or exceptional circumstances, but you can get a full-time lodger for less hasle than this, feeds themself, contributes fixed amount and shares bills,
    Not someone chopping and changing week by week,too much messing for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Hi am just updating this. My brother gave digs to a student and things were going fine. However the young fella is from West cork and said a while back he would prefer to stay weekends. My brother didn't want this so yer man said fair enough. My brother also agreed not to charge for weeks not there (which is normal).anyway young lad asked last weeko if he could pay for just 4 days as he going home that Thursday. My brother said fair enough. This week he told my brother he will be staying every week just three nights (going home thursday) so will be only paying reduced rate!
    Also he said that college finishes on 10th December and he won't be back till February 5th! Says he's only coming up for exams in January and will stay with friends?
    (I have an interest in all this as am helping my brother with his mortgage)
    Anyways what do people think?
    It's halfway through the academic year so I'm not sure how easy it would be to get someone else (house is Dublin 8- large double room with ensuite)

In fairness, and I know someone with a student from west cork renting in Dublin, pain to travel to each weekend!, I'd say leave him off for the few weeks he's not there. My mate who's hosting is and it's a similar digs arrangement they have. Sure it's a few weeks less to pay the heating bills with but your brother will get a better rep in the college accommodation listings if he chooses to let out next term again to a student and advertise through the college accommo. office.

Also mid semesters are the best time to get a new student lodger in because someone's fallen out with their co-tenants they started a lease in September with and are now just looking for a room only for the next semester!

When does next term start?

Depends on the college, most at the start of Feb?

Lodgers looking for accommodation all the time, D8, D everywhere
    hytrogen wrote: »
    In fairness, and I know someone with a student from west cork renting in Dublin, pain to travel to each weekend!, I'd say leave him off for the few weeks he's not there. My mate who's hosting is and it's a similar digs arrangement they have. Sure it's a few weeks less to pay the heating bills with but your brother will get a better rep in the college accommodation listings if he chooses to let out next term again to a student and advertise through the college accommo. office.

He's not running a charity, and if digs and students are this unrealistic I'd not be concerned about getting a good reputation with the accommodations listing, its not the only place to get lodgers, he shouldn't have to subsidise other people's requirements to get a good rep, can make an arrangement with a full-time lodger or someone that has specific requirements and fulfills their needs for work stuff.
    That said they should be careful not to make the kitchen table unusable, or have documents accessible, maybe they could set up an office in a box room? Or their bedroom? Could save them creating uneccesary hassle for themselves.

It's being accommodating, ok for tenants leasing out a full property & not owner occupied be as stern as the bricks it's made from but your own home is a different kettle of fish. Close quarters & odd querks you have as opposed to another person outside your family entering your domain should come with a more accommodating approach to their needs..
    And I'm not saying that without experience

• Advertisement

hytrogen wrote: »
    It's being accommodating, ok for tenants leasing out a full property & not owner occupied be as stern as the bricks it's made from but your own home is a different kettle of fish. Close quarters & odd querks you have as opposed to another person outside your family entering your domain should come with a more accommodating approach to their needs..
    And I'm not saying that without experience

I have experience in it myself, but someone wouldn't do it without their own needs requiring it, therefore e you can't come to an agreement only for someone to start telling/dictating to you they will now stay only x number of days and will pay less, that might suit or be acceptable to some, but then you have an empty room you cannot do anything with and still it doesn't meet your need to bring some money in?
    If the person agreed to the condition of not staying weekends even though they wanted it then that means they accepted it as a condition, the same as any condition at the start such as how many days to stay and pay. I'd inform them of either a more particular and definite arrangement after their exams or get someone else. Personally I think the owner/s are limiting themselves by not wanting anyone the weekend, even if someone is around doesn't mean you will see them all the time or that they will be in or not choose to head off.

Advertisement