Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord is ignoring us about deposit

Options
  • 07-01-2012 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

We left our house a few months ago,a group of students and the landlord has ignored us ever since.The house was pretty as we left it. Where do you go from here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Send him a registered letter stating that you will be reporting him to the PRTB if your deposit is not returned immediately. Demand detailed receipts for any deductions he makes. In future you should carry out a detailed check on moving in and again with the landlord on moving out. It's due to landlords like this that I generally don't pay my last months rent in apartments and tell the landlord to take my deposit instead, the best solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

When you started your tenancy, was there an entry inventory done (and signed by you) of all the landlord's property within the house and stating their condition? By this I mean, living room described, condition of flooring, walls, furniture etc. and the same for all rooms. And at the end of the tenancy, was another inventory done verifying the condition of all the items on the entry inventory.

If you feel that you left the house in the same condition as it was when you started the tenancy (excepting fair wear and tear), make a claim with the PRTB also adding for "damages" for late return of your deposit.

I'm not sure what the group of students has to do with a tenancy agreement between you and the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

No inventory lists,rentbook or swapping of pps numbers. I'm pretty sure the landlord is unregistered. If I sent a letter to the rented property it could be there for months so id have to find their home address.Sorry me and a few other students rented the house and the lease was a ****ty piece of paper with a printed line and signature. We didnt really care at the time because the place was so cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

As there was no entry inventory completed, the landlord has no proof of the condition of the property and contents at the start of the tenancy as opposed to their condition at the end of the tenancy. Therefore you will win any claim with the PRTB if the landlord withholds the deposit for "damage" caused by you.

As you don't have the landlord's address, make a claim directly with the PRTB and also claim for "damages" for withholding the deposit unjustifiably.

Incidentally, if the "lease agreement" that you signed did not state that it was a "fixed term lease", then you had a Part 4 lease - not that it makes much difference to you now.

If the landlord did not register the tenancy with the PRTB, this is to your advantage in that he cannot make a counter claim against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Thanks for the reply. I'l make a claim so monday morning. Are the odds good for getting our deposit back ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

eoins23456 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I'l make a claim so monday morning. Are the odds good for getting our deposit back ?

Odds are good that you will win a judgement in your favour. Getting that actual money can be difficult in any circumstance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You probably also have the option of reporting or threatening to report him to Revenue by the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

Send him a registered letter stating that you will be reporting him to the PRTB if your deposit is not returned immediately. Demand detailed receipts for any deductions he makes. In future you should carry out a detailed check on moving in and again with the landlord on moving out. It's due to landlords like this that I generally don't pay my last months rent in apartments and tell the landlord to take my deposit instead, the best solution

Why waste your time and money. Just complain to the PRTB. One letter, ten minutes.

Advertisement