Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snag list

• 28-04-2004 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

anyone know of a link for a basic run down of what should be checked for a snag list

I tried the links on the sticky but couldn't find anything though there is an awful lot there so i'm too sure really where to start

I also tried googling but can't find anything

Nige

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Get a builder (not the one who built the house) to do it for you, it can be quite a task.

1st off paint is 1st thing you will see then making sure all the walls are plastered walls are level, floor is level, pipes are layed correctly ,water is running hot and cold.
    I could go on here for quite some time.

Its best to spend that 100 now on a builder to do it then spend thousands in DIY over next few years finding new things that were wrong from day one.

Kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

2 things -
    If your house is already overdue, take a copy of the snag list, give it to your solicitor, the estate agent, and the builder. Tell them you won't sign for the house until the list is completed and rechecked. And don't.

The mention of the words "solicitor" and "won't sign" are the only things known to man which will cause an estate agent/builder to get some work done. If you sign for the house before the snag list is finished, *whooosh*, they'll be gone, and you'll be forever chasing them to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Upfront: I'm a surveyor. You should get someone independent to do the snag list - you can then play good cop / bad cop, while getting a thorough job.

Be wary of threatening a builder you won't sign in a rising market.

You want a few main things (a) have they complied with the contract & specification / brochure? (b) does anything look broken or at risk of falling down/off (c) does anything look "wrong" (d) is *everything* complete? (e) do the services (plumbing / electrical) and moving parts work? (f) are utilities connected?

Expect to pay €200-400 plus expenses for a good survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

thanks for the info guys - i hadn't really considered the implications of doing it ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Victor
    Be wary of threatening a builder you won't sign in a rising market.
    This is more of a country issue than a Dublin one. Stage payments mean a builder has 60% or more of his money by the time you get the snag list done. You have less leverage.
    In Dublin they normally only get 25% max in stages before completion so you should have more leverage.
    Expect to pay €200-400 plus expenses for a good survey.
    Very well worth it. Most jobbies will cost that to fix anyway if not done by the builder. Some surveyors and engineers are snaglist experts , ask others who have bought in the area.

Find an unbenched AJ somewhere on the site and look very serious. It usually means the builder will play ball on the rest of the list and get it over with cleanly. AJ's are expensive to fix retroactively and are in the building regulations. You can even call the Council in and ask them if they will 'exercise the bond' on it :D .

Internal doors (OTOH) are not in the building regulations so if the door is sticky it is not really 'illegal' .

Mucks bit of advice. Never let the builder think YOU are more desperate to move your ass in than SHE is to get her money in full . Always look chilled as if you expected all this crap anyway. (they often leave bits undone to distract you from bigger bits ) .

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement