Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tenant notice

• 22-10-2020 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

If a landlord gives notice does the tenant then have to give notice also? Or can they leave without any notice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

mrniceg28 wrote: »
    If a landlord gives notice does the tenant then have to give notice also? Or can they leave without any notice?

Both are bound by statutory notice requirements, but there is nothing stopping both from agreeing to a shorter notice period once valid notice has been served. If the LL wants you to leave, and you want to leave sooner, give the LL a call.

Obviously the LL will have to comply with any moratorium on evictions which might be in place as a result of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mrniceg28

Thanks for the reply. So even if the landlord has given notice the tenant still needs to give notice also? That seems very strange how would it be possible for a tenant to move out to other rented accommodation if 112 days of notice are required? Basically I have been given notice but LL has said if I find other accommodation before the notice they have given me. I will need to give them 112 day notice also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

mrniceg28 wrote: »

he gave you notice, you can move out even the next day; see my other post with references to RTB ruling

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112183070&postcount=15

of course if the notice is invalid in any way, you can dispute that, but it still doesn't stop you from moving out any time if you find something sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

meijin wrote: »
    he gave you notice, you can move out even the next day; see my other post with references to RTB ruling

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112183070&postcount=15

of course if the notice is invalid in any way, you can dispute that, but it still doesn't stop you from moving out any time if you find something sooner

Thanks Meijin, that clarifies the situation as it is “on or before”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Yeah you can leave immediately, as soon as is convenient, without providing any notice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement