Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin - Significant reduction in rents coming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

with a ban on evictions in place who would chance renting if it were further extended higher risk in the market = less supply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Blut2

Leopardstown/Sandyford apartment prices have been mental for years. Its miles away from the city center, and has no nice "village" feel like you'd get in Ranelagh or even other suburban places like Monkstown. But it has comparable high prices to those far more desirable areas.

I'd wager a huge part of the demand was local workers in places like Microsoft being happy to get somewhere within a 5min walk to work. But with so many of those people WFHing now indefinitely I'd expect a bigger drops in rents in the area than in many of the surrounding suburbs. Theres not a whole lot else going for it than proximity to the local workplaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭polaco

Smouse156 wrote: »
    Elmfield apartments in Leopardstown had the rent dropped today:

1-bed €1872 to €1822
    2-bed €2071 to €1977

Had been keeping an eye on this place was was listed for nearly 5 months with no takers. The 3-bed was dropped last week but I don’t have exact numbers.

There are pet friendly place most of the places once your mention dog to landlord's is like telling them you’ve got the Ebola virus and you’re about to sneeze.

Anyway this what happens to me

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ozark707

with a ban on evictions in place who would chance renting if it were further extended higher risk in the market = less supply

What less supply? Supply in Dublin is at multi year highs...

https://bl.ocks.org/pinsterdev/raw/234b4a5310a14a32e080/

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Blut2 wrote: »
    Leopardstown/Sandyford apartment prices have been mental for years. Its miles away from the city center, and has no nice "village" feel like you'd get in Ranelagh or even other suburban places like Monkstown. But it has comparable high prices to those far more desirable areas.

I'd wager a huge part of the demand was local workers in places like Microsoft being happy to get somewhere within a 5min walk to work. But with so many of those people WFHing now indefinitely I'd expect a bigger drops in rents in the area than in many of the surrounding suburbs. Theres not a whole lot else going for it than proximity to the local workplaces.

Proximity to the Luas. 20 minutes to city centre, 2 minutes to Dundrum. 10 minutes to Ranelagh. Right beside the M50, so easily accessible. Most apartments have parking, etc.

It has no night life and is a fairly boring area, but it's not without it's benefits.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Proximity to the Luas. 20 minutes to city centre, 2 minutes to Dundrum. 10 minutes to Ranelagh. Right beside the M50, so easily accessible. Most apartments have parking, etc.

It has no night life and is a fairly boring area, but it's not without it's benefits.

20 minutes to the city center would be extremely optimistic. I've gotten the LUAS to town from there many times and you're looking at closer to 30min.

Proximity to the LUAS isn't enough to justify apartment prices on a par with Donnybrook or Ranelagh either, though. Commute times to town from lots of of suburbs in South Dublin on the DART line or LUAS line are comparable to Sandyford (or better). But most of those suburbs have lots of other positives going for them - villages full of restaurants/shops within walking distance, or nightlife, or much closer proximity to town, or access to the sea... etc

Essentially without an office tying someone to Sandyford/Leopardstown I would really struggle to see them justifying paying the same rent for an apartment there vs one in Donnybrook/Ranelagh/Blackrock/Dalkey/wherever.

Essentially without an office tying someone to Sandyford/Leopardstown I would really struggle to see them justifying paying the same rent for an apartment there vs one in Donnybrook/Ranelagh/Blackrock/Dalkey/wherever.

I remember around the time of the last crash in rent prices that a few colleagues moved location due to availability close to work or town. I expect the same again so the likes of Leopardstown could see the effect of this. Why pay D2/4/6 rates out there when you don't have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

With tourism dead until next year, college students not returning for the next semester and WFH still going for the foreseeable future for a lot of places, demand will be flat or decreasing. The risk could be having no rental income until January 2021 if you were waiting for the eviction ban to end. And that's assuming things are back to normal by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

With tourism dead until next year, college students not returning for the next semester and WFH still going for the foreseeable future for a lot of places, demand will be flat or decreasing. The risk could be having no rental income until January 2021 if you were waiting for the eviction ban to end. And that's assuming things are back to normal by then.

Exactly.Landlords are price takers now not setters.

power to the people bargains galore....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I know a lot of people moving because they were able to get a bigger or nicer place for less money. My very specific daft search has gone from a few notifications a week to several a day.

I hope that when CAO offers are released in August it does not have too much of an impact on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

smurgen wrote: »
    Exactly.Landlords are price takers now not setters.

That's always been the case...market rate.

I know a lot of people moving because they were able to get a bigger or nicer place for less money. My very specific daft search has gone from a few notifications a week to several a day.

I hope that when CAO offers are released in August it does not have too much of an impact on this.

Yes well priced places are definitely moving now.

I don't expect this year to be as hard once CAO applications come out, due to 2 reasons mainly. Firstly lots of new build has come on stream in last year or so. Secondly I just can't see the same amount of foreign students travelling here as would have done pre-Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LJ12345

Do these agencies have any idea what impact they are having. Sherry Fitzgerald are seeing significantly more private investors leave than enter the rental market and this was before covid. The rental market from here on will be overpriced apartments in the docklands.

Could it perhaps just be the sense of entitlement today’s younger renter bracket has that’s the problem and not the rental market... be careful what you wish for.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0701/1150803-threshold-tenants-landlords/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

LJ12345 wrote: »
    Do these agencies have any idea what impact they are having.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0701/1150803-threshold-tenants-landlords/

Look at the sample.
    A new report for Threshold...... involved interviews with 24 tenants, 16 in Dublin, six in Galway and two in Cork....Six Threshold advisors were also interviewed.

:D

if they get their way they will reduce supply a total communist org trying to socialize private rental accommodation LLs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

beauf wrote: »
    Look at the sample.

:D

Threshold knew what they wanted the report to say before they looked for someone to write the report. This is just spin for the media, lapped up by them uncritically.

Fair play to the two lecturers for knocking it out.

Latest monthly updates:

https://bl.ocks.org/pinsterdev/raw/234b4a5310a14a32e080/

>10% increase in supply MoM

Avg rents continue to decrease across most categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Threshold knew what they wanted the report to say before they looked for someone to write the report. This is just spin for the media, lapped up by them uncritically.

Fair play to the two lecturers for knocking it out.

Ive a cousin working for threshold. She got married last year and rented out her apartment as they moved into her husbands house.
    Her tenant stopped paying rent after 6 months and she is still trying to get rid of them im told. I wonder if the tenant went to threshold what would happen :)

zkteYoS.jpg

The volume of apartments available is really going through the roof. And thats before the 350eur covid payment, and the employment support payments, that combined 900,000+ people are currently on are cut off. And before any announcement of the universities not coming back in September. And before they potentially try to add the thousands of units of student accom to the private market...

I would be extremely worried if I had a property going to be available to rent in the coming months. Its all very good news for renters though.

• Advertisement

zkteYoS.jpg

The volume of apartments available is really going through the roof. And thats before the 350eur covid payment, and the employment support payments, that combined 900,000+ people are currently on are cut off. And before any announcement of the universities not coming back in September. And before they potentially try to add the thousands of units of student accom to the private market...

I would be extremely worried if I had a property going to be available to rent in the coming months. Its all very good news for renters though.

Exaggerate much :)

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Exaggerate much :)

This time last year there were approx 750 apartments on the market. Now its closing in on 2200.

A near 300% increase in available number of apartments year on year. And on top of that the available number of apartments has been going up by over 10% a month, for months consistently now, with no sign of stopping...

I'd say "through the roof" is underselling it if anything.

This time last year there were approx 750 apartments on the market. Now its closing in on 2200.

A near 300% increase in available number of apartments year on year. And on top of that the available number of apartments has been going up by over 10% a month, for months consistently now, with no sign of stopping...

I'd say "through the roof" is underselling it if anything.

2200 is not a lot of supply. Thats not through the roof.
    And as someone who spent 3 weeks trying to get one and found the vast majority were actually short term lets, when eventually i could contact someone, im not buying that there are 2200 available to rent long term. How many of those are short term only? Because they arent much use. Not to me anyway.

Dont get me wrong. I would love if the supply went up, but its no good if you cant rent them long term.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    2200 is not a lot of supply. Thats not through the roof.
    And as someone who spent 3 weeks trying to get one and found the vast majority were actually short term lets, when eventually i could contact someone, im not buying that there are 2200 available to rent long term. How many of those are short term only? Because they arent much use. Not to me anyway.

Dont get me wrong. I would love if the supply went up, but its no good if you cant rent them long term.

You have to remember also that these numbers are likely a huge underestimate of total available stock (due to multiple properties in developments under one ad). I didn't expect supply to have increased so much again in the last month, thought it would have started to plateau by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

This place in Sandymount is being advertised on 2295 until the end of the summer "(due to COVID)" following which the rent rises to 2545.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-rent/sandymount/24-wilfield-sandymount-dublin-2046371/

I wouldn't mind a landlord having the ability to charge what they want if it was agreed with the tenant, but noting our RPZ rules, is that permissible? I nearly would say the 2295 asking rent isn't too bad for a nice enough 3-bedroomed house in Dublin 4, but the 2545 is mental at about 850 per room per person.

The other point I am wondering is about the "(due to covid)" aspect of the ad; does the landlord seem to think that all the workers from GCD will be back by then as well as college students so demand will rocket? It's only 8 weeks away and indications are that this would be incredibly ambitious; it's not even confirmed whether schools are back by then.

This place in Sandymount is being advertised on 2295 until the end of the summer "(due to COVID)" following which the rent rises to 2545.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-rent/sandymount/24-wilfield-sandymount-dublin-2046371/

I wouldn't mind a landlord having the ability to charge what they want if it was agreed with the tenant, but noting our RPZ rules, is that permissible? I nearly would say the 2295 asking rent isn't too bad for a nice enough 3-bedroomed house in Dublin 4, but the 2545 is mental at about 850 per room per person.

The other point I am wondering is about the "(due to covid)" aspect of the ad; does the landlord seem to think that all the workers from GCD will be back by then as well as college students so demand will rocket? It's only 8 weeks away and indications are that this would be incredibly ambitious; it's not even confirmed whether schools are back by then.

I have noticed this a few times as well. I assume the quoted monthly price will be the 2545 from the outset (to comply with RPZ rules) but that the cut 250pm for 2-3 months. I would also venture that anyone looking now is bargaining on the asking price so you would probably be able to secure a reduction on the 2545 price.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

Sorry if this has already been asked in this thread, but if rents do fall, what is the process for lifting RPZ restrictions? Are there automatic triggers (i.e. rents drop by x%), or is it a political decision for each area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

lcwill wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been asked in this thread, but if rents do fall, what is the process for lifting RPZ restrictions? Are there automatic triggers (i.e. rents drop by x%), or is it a political decision for each area?

I doubt very much if the RPZ restrictions will ever be lifted .
    If rents fall by 10-15% they will still be too high and landlords would shoot them back up to previous levels as soon as the market allowed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

lcwill wrote: »

Presumably a tenant could trigger a rent review- using the same mechanisms as a landlord- seeking a reduction of a max of 4% per annum on a pro-rata basis. Tenants, of course, might prefer to argue that they shouldn't be restricted to a 4% reduction- however, thats a having your cake and eating it scenario. If you want to dump RPZ restrictions- you accept it applies across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Presumably a tenant could trigger a rent review- using the same mechanisms as a landlord- seeking a reduction of a max of 4% per annum on a pro-rata basis. Tenants, of course, might prefer to argue that they shouldn't be restricted to a 4% reduction- however, thats a having your cake and eating it scenario. If you want to dump RPZ restrictions- you accept it applies across the board.

Why would tenants want to dump RPZ restrictions
    In a falling market the market will set the price and in a rising market RPZ will keep rises to a minimum
    Many tenants will over the next few months negotiate a rent reduction
    If the landlord refuses he could be left minus 2 months rent ,EA fee for leasing the apartment ,renovation costs,and still only get what the previous tenant offered

Advertisement