Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Places commutable to Dublin where one off houses still get planning

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,357 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The Op would be better buying an old cottage( with roof intact, water and electricity) with land apply for planning permission for refurbishing plus garage build the garage, living space and make some small attempt at the refurbishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

CalRobert wrote: »
    I was specifically thinking of high end niche growers, in the model of Richard Perkins, Jean-Martin Fortier, etc.

If you want a hobby, then have a hobby. Grand. No problem with that. But someone claiming to have suddenly developed an interest in a new hobby shouldn't be given a right to build a house in a rural area they have no connection to.

Maybe things will change if the Shinners get into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

mariaalice wrote: »
    The Op would be better buying an old cottage( with roof intact, water and electricity) with land apply for planning permission for refurbishing plus garage build the garage, living space and make some small attempt at the refurbishment.

This is more solid advice, i could get a mortgage for about 190-200k but would preffer a field for 80-90 and building the garage i could self finance in under 5 years.

As for ‘just buy something’ im sure i could buy something for 250-300k maxing myself out but that still leaves me garageless which doesnt solve my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

This is more solid advice, i could get a mortgage for about 190-200k but would preffer a field for 80-90 and building the garage i could self finance in under 5 years.

As for ‘just buy something’ im sure i could buy something for 250-300k maxing myself out but that still leaves me garageless which doesnt solve my problem.

Have you costed the price of building a home, 1 bed apartment, on top of a garage full of flammable liquids and compressed gases? I can't see how you can get it built cheap as since you want to live there it has to meet building regulations which is what makes modern houses expensive, even if you can get planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You've been told already that that plan would not be planning compliant. House before the garage is how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

mariaalice wrote: »
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/27-merrymeeting-rathnew-wicklow/4384283

Its basically a site

Bit of a pipe dream op, but with a lot of compromises something like this might work, Rathnew is very commutable to Dublin.

200k for that crap? Jesus......it's not even much land

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭CalRobert

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    200k for that crap? Jesus......it's not even much land
    It's possible they'd take an offer well below that just to get out quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Most local authorities now have a "local needs" requirement that applicants have to satisfy before they will grand permission for one off rural housing. Unless you can demonstrate that, which I doubt since you are scouting for a location, then I highly doubt you can meet the criteria.

As for the rest of your proposal, with the garage and the apartment over it and then a house after. Lol. good luck with that planning application. Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Most local authorities now have a "local needs" requirement that applicants have to satisfy before they will grand permission for one off rural housing. Unless you can demonstrate that, which I doubt since you are scouting for a location, then I highly doubt you can meet the criteria.
    The "local needs" requirement is at the discretion of the CC. A mate tried to buy within the distance, but was blocked, as he lived in an estate, not the rural setting in which he was trying to buy in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭8-10

www.daft.ie/11921519

Take a look at something like this in that price range. Hour from the M50

It's huge, 240 sq m, includes a large garage and workshop with loads of space. You got your own cinema and discotheque too!

(you have to scroll through a load of photos before you get to the garage/workshop BTW but it's there!)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

8-10 wrote: »
    www.daft.ie/11921519

Take a look at something like this in that price range. Hour from the M50

It's huge, 240 sq m, includes a large garage and workshop with loads of space. You got your own cinema and discotheque too!

(you have to scroll through a load of photos before you get to the garage/workshop BTW but it's there!)

Nice site, decent looking house, but good grief whoever decorated that has no taste whatsoever. :pac:

The electric blue and cream kitchen, and the wall stencils everywhere are a particular highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭8-10

awec wrote: »
    Nice site, decent looking house, but good grief whoever decorated that has no taste whatsoever. :pac:

The electric blue and cream kitchen, and the wall stencils everywhere are a particular highlight.

Yeah I can't stand stencils on walls. Only thing worse is those horrid wooden hearts that get hung on the door or end of the stairs in real estate photos.

But in general I'd prefer not to like the decor in a house I'd be buying as it forces you to immediately change it to your style!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

that would be the idea, I can mortgage a site and afford to build a 2 storey apartment over garage now , and in 10 years Time be in a position to be a decent way towards the main house. I don't need a 4 bedroom house right now, I do need a multi bay garage and workshop.

Here’s your pipe dream - a multi bay garage with beautiful house and somewhere to live now. If your dream is real why not find your land with derelict building or site/ old factory whatever and apply for the detached house over 4 bay garage with worksho and kitchemette/plumbed shower room - start to build starting with the asforementioned - when you run out of money live in one of the garage bays ( insulated) and then progress as you earn. you may have to have a windturbine for energy or dig a well for water as the council won’t connect you until you are completing but sure that’ll be ok with you probably.

Advertisement