Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cisco EPC2425 modem/router help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

sharkman wrote: »
    The router I still feel IS crap , but now that he tweeked it at least I can download files and browse at the same time .
    Are you going to let us know what those tweaks are? I also have the can't download + browse problem :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Styvy

daveyjoe wrote: »
    Are you going to let us know what those tweaks are? I also have the can't download + browse problem :(

Hi Mate,

its easy enough. Open ports on router/firewall /Set up a limit on download and upload for connection/Open up Half open ports on windows. The cisco 2425 isnt bad if you compare it to netgear 614v9 or Wnr2000/3000. The wireless speed is grand but the cable it lacks gigabit card.
    Any probs tell us.

Regards
    Styvy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

hi all i would like some help trying to open ports on a cisco 2425 modem any help would be greatful i can get as far as the setup on the cisco then i come to a stop any help i will give a demonid password cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

hi all i would like some help trying to open ports on a cisco 2425 modem any help would be greatful i can get as far as the setup on the cisco then i come to a stop any help i will give a demonid password cheers
    Advanced Settings -> Port Forwarding -> enter your ip address (can be found by typing "ipconfig" without quotes into cmd (press the windows key and "r" to enter run, and then type cmd>enter)) and then the start and end port you want to open. if the port is 1234 then enter 1234 : 1234 or 1233 TO 1235 and tick the enable box. also make sure that "both" is selected in the scroll down option.

if you're still having probs pm me or something. i dont know how tech savvy you are and its late im tired so im probably explaining it really badly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

hi tea bag cheers for the help i have got to the stage where i enter the port number but what do i put in the local ip address i think it might be my own ip am i right or wrong thanks

• Advertisement

yeah thats your own IP address. to get it hold the windows key (bottom left cornerish on keyboard) and "r", then type cmd and enter.

type "ipconfig" (without quotes) hit enter. and it will say what your IP address is.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

If your using the wireless the command prompt will show you the IP address of the wireless which will be somewhere along the lines of 192.168.1.x. This is a Private IP address...

To get the Public IP address follow Tea Bags instructions but connect directly with the cable...You will be looking for an IP address starting with 89.xxx.xxx.xxx if its the same as mine but as long as its not a 192.xxx.x.x then thats the Public IP your looking for...

Also once running the IP config you will now be looking at the LAN connection as apposed to the wireless connection...An alternative is below

Start>
    Run> devmgmt.msc(enter into run)
    LAN> double click to bring up status
    XP = general and support(click support)
    IP will be here

Vista = Details(click details)
    look for IPV4 Ip address

Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭banana_plug

guys : this cisco thing support's Upnp ( this is automatic port forwarding feature which some routers haff.) if u have it in your torrent client u dont have to portforward. this 2425 also does have it.

by the default UPC has Upnp OFF (: setup > advanced settings > options, it's the last box. just tick it im sure it's unchecked.

its all u need to do to do automatic port forwarding ( use utorrent, as this client has Upnp, if u use any other, u might no get integrated upnp.

( upnp is vital for uplouding etc)

now can somebody help me with cable bridging, im not entirelly clear with "how to".

earlier on guys mentioned - 192.168.1.1 > go to > wireless > bridging ??? what does the wireless do there? i want to do cable bridging, just to use 2525 as a simple swith, and get a proper router with wireless option. how and is this possible with 2425?? pls be as clear as possible.

this cant even handle dvd rip's streaming inside local network.
    i will post a good router option ( has 300mhz atheros cpu (RISK) + 64mb ram 3x lan ports - equivalent cisco option will cost u 600e

http://routerboard.com/pricelist.php?showProduct=43

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

hightower1 wrote: »
    You cant buy your own modem though, has to be provisioned for by them

Why? Do they check the MACaddress or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dave Roe

I feel like an idiot - I can't find the IP address to get on to the router at all.

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-42-33-A5
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.12
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 89.101.160.4

I have tried all the usual ones
    192.16.1.1, 1.2, 1.100, 1.254 etc.

How can I find this?

I am fairly sure I had a look at it when the guy installed it, and I think it was at 192.168.1.1. Later, I rand UPC support and told them that the signal from the router was very weak. The engineer remotely accessed the router and made some changes - I have no idea what (if anything) he did. However, now I cant find the admin page. Is there some straightforward way to find it? I'm reluctant to hard reset the router.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It is 192.168.1.1 unless it's been changed. Open the cmd prompt and type in ipconfig. Look for the default gateway, that will tell you the router ip address. If you still can't connect to it, restart the router.

Dave Roe wrote: »
    I feel like an idiot - I can't find the IP address to get on to the router at all.

roller

How can I find this?

I am fairly sure I had a look at it when the guy installed it, and I think it was at 192.168.1.1. Later, I rand UPC support and told them that the signal from the router was very weak. The engineer remotely accessed the router and made some changes - I have no idea what (if anything) he did. However, now I cant find the admin page. Is there some straightforward way to find it? I'm reluctant to hard reset the router.
    did you come right anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

Dave Roe wrote: »

roller

How can I find this?

It is 192.168.1.1 but it appears you have the exact same issue I have (poosted on net comms about cisco unit). I have full internet on all devices but it will not let me log in to the unit via cable or wireless unless I reboot the cisco and then I can use the 192.168.1.1 to get on. Really annoying.

Anyone know if the 2nd telephone port is locked by default. I tried adding my skybox to the connection but it seems to only allow one standard telephone connection at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JBUCD

I also had problems trying to help out a mate with his xbox and the Cisco router. I went to open ports. Got the IP address from ip from the Xbox Then when I went to save the applied port settings I kept getting an "invalid IP address". I just couldnt get it to work. I then tried his computers ip and did ipconfig into the cmd and still got the error message.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi guys,
    Does anyone know if the NTL\UPC Cisco EPC 2425 Cable Modem\Router supports Gigabit Ethernet?

Cheers,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Does anyone know if the NTL\UPC Cisco EPC 2425 Cable Modem\Router supports Gigabit Ethernet?

Cheers,
    M
    when i asked the tech guy who installed my original one, if the router would be capable of handeling 120mbps+, as is planned on being rolled out (eventually) in ireland, he said had serious doubts that it would handle anything over 100mbps. pretty sure that means its not a gigabit card.

Thanx Tea_Bag.....that is a bummer :-(

I'm still trying to get mine working with TVersity\PS3mediaserver and am hitting a wall. Its weird nobody here on boards.ie is not having the same issues with this feckin' BB modem and their PS3.....

M

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    nope, definitely not.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8611/ps8675/ps8686/7016662.pdf

also, it's only docsis2, so it would need to be replaced for the 120mbps rollout which would be docsis3 and i'm pretty sure (but open to correction if anyone can say for certain) that you can't just jump standards with a firmware upgrade, it would need to be different hardware that supports docsis3.

in any case, the 2425 definitely only has 100mbps LAN ports, not gigabit, to answer the question.

Cheers Vibe666.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭SIBERIA

How do i access the config setting for this exact router, it asks me for a password and im not to sure where to find it. I have tried leaving it blank again nothing

As posted before this i what i get
    http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3446/failcr.jpg

i'm trying to set up xbox live but, the wireless adopter on the xbox is not finding any networks whatsoever zero, zip, nada, zilch which makes me believe port forwarding is the problem.

This makes me sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

SIBERIA wrote: »
    How do i access the config setting for this exact router, it asks me for a password and im not to sure where to find it. I have tried leaving it blank again nothing

As posted before this i what i get
    http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3446/failcr.jpg

i'm trying to set up xbox live but, the wireless adopter on the xbox is not finding any networks whatsoever zero, zip, nada, zilch which makes me believe port forwarding is the problem.

This makes me sad.

You need to enter nothing in the username field and the password field. The UpnP is disabled by default. Turn it on. Try that first before bothering opening ports. Xbox adapter should be able to see your network without any changes as it is broadcast by default also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pato66

In case you haven't found this before, another reason to throw away your epc2425:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64477107

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭SIBERIA

Just for some (late) closure on the problem i posted, it turned out the "xbox 360 wireless adapter" was faulty. Was nothing to to with the router in the long run!

All it working fine now and as people said, it recognised the new adapter instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I have an old NTL 250 modem, I've an engineer coming on saturday should I make him leave me with this or take the Cisco off him? I have the modem plugged into my linksys WRT54GS so will not any issue with the modem. So will I hold onto the NTL 250? This is manufactured by Ambit and according to the specs should handle up to 40Mbps

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys I have this modem too. Generally it works find and I like the way it automatically forwards ports using unpn. i get by far the fastest torrent downloads I've ever had, but browsing goes to sh1t when I'm downloading, that's if it works at all. I get loads of "Resolving Host" messages and lots of blank pages, clicking refresh does little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Disable the router firewall(which helped me) or switch off 'ip flood protection' so says another poster on the forum I had read somewhere :).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

What do I need to get to use my decent router I bought before switching to UPC? I disabled the firewall, enable UPNP, and disabled ip flood protection. Do I need to restart the router for it to take effect?

This router/modem is the biggest pile of junk, worse than the netopia router I first had with Eircom (which was terrible)

Als o when I do restart it, I have to reenter my WPA key, and it takes about 15 minutes to get backonline, as the US & DS flash for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I didnt have to restart it for them to take affect. I notice since the firmware upgrade this week that a new option called 'Gateway Mode' has appeared under Setup.

I have sworn that was never there before. Anyway, it has the option of 'Router' or 'Bridge'. It just might be the holy grail of bypassing that router into bridge mode once and for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

thinking of changing to upc 5mb and see i'd have to pay €50 for this router. Is it really that ****e? I will have my xbox connected to it via cable and there will be 3 laptops using the wifi, though rarely all at the same time.
    Could i just get the standard modem and share the connection over my existing eircom Netgear dsl router via bridging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Ardent

Is anybody using their own wireless router instead of this piece of shít? I'm having a nightmare time trying to get a slingbox working over the internet with this thing. Also, one of the older Dell laptops in the house just flat-out refuses to hold a connection the WLAN.

I believe I read somewhere that you can plug in your own router to this UPC abomination and share the internet through the second router? But will this make connecting and sharing devices remotely even more difficult? Has anyone got a good setup going? Any recommendations etc?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement