Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Development Website Review

• 10-07-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I've revamped my website design, made it more fresh, more simple and responsive.

Do you have any responsiveness related tips? What abut the layout?

I'm in the process of tweaking it and working on it, so any good advice might be implemented instantly.

The site is http://roo.ie/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The portfolio is almost hidden down there in the footer and it's a real pain to view when you have to click in/out of each individual screenshot. The screenshots on the About page are more prominent but there's not much about what they are, where they come from. Are they products/plug-ins you're selling or are they examples of previous design work?

Overall I think the site has a very mixed message, it's quite hard to tell if you're selling web design services or running a business directory or selling a business directory script.

Nice responsive layout, not sure about the choice of colours though.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ethan.Saaris

Thank you @graham, I started addressing some of the issues. I agree the site has a mixed message, as I've used it for several purposes. I'll focus on one purpose only.

Blast from the past!

https://roo.ie/ has now been completely refactored and we're only focusing on maintenance and malware removal.

Why the stupid circle that follows the mouse pointer? Is it designed to p*** site vistiors off or is that accidental?

Graham wrote: »
    Why the stupid circle that follows the mouse pointer? Is it designed to p*** site vistiors off or is that accidental?

Really? You don't like it? It's a trend, actually. I'm not 100% sold on it, but I had 2 potential clients saying that's interesting. Looking at awwwards.com, I can see the mouse circle on 80% of the showcased sites.

It's using a tiny JavaScript code and it's using Window.requestAnimationFrame(), so it's pretty light to pagespeed and page interaction.

• Advertisement

Really? You don't like it?

No. I'm not a kitten, I don't chase random moving objects.
    It's a trend, actually.

No, honestly, it really isn't. Unless you're trend-watching geocities circa 1996.
    It's using a tiny JavaScript code and it's using Window.requestAnimationFrame(), so it's pretty light to pagespeed and page interaction.

A complete waste of bytes on something pointless.

It's only outranked for naffness by JavaScript snowflakes in December or use of the <marquee> tag.

Worse, it distracts from whatever it is you're trying to sell.

I'm going to take my potential clients' opinion over yours, as it doesn't seem have any solid foundation.

It actually is a trend if you check the site I mentioned above and, it's a nice gimmick to have potential clients more engaged and increase time on page (measured in Google Analytics). It depends on the site type, you wouldn't have this type of animation on an eCommerce site or a business site. But a design site might feature these small things.

I thought awwwards was one of those pay-to-play award sites but If awwwards is your target market, go for it.

If you're convinced a moving circle following the mouse is a design feature, I'm certainly not going to try and convince you otherwise. More importantly, if time spent on page watching a moving circle is important to your business model, you'd be daft not to keep it.

Personally, I find that type of thing just too annoying so I'll just close the site and move on but what would I know.

Best of luck with it.

Thanks for chiming in, though, it's been constructive. I may remove it at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

The circle is distracting (for me, personal opinion)

The yellow accent colour is over used and too strong (competes with the main CTA colour)

CTA buttons on the section containing "Skyrocket Your Sales" are misaligned.

The responsive menu ellipsis appears on desktop but on mobile it isn't obvious enough (I thought the breadcrumb was the menu the first time, I had to go back twice to work out whats going on).

• Advertisement

Good ones. I'll definitely improve the mobile menu and cut down on yellow. regarding the misaligned buttons, that's part of the CSS framework I'm using and it needs an update.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FionMc

I really dislike the yellow highlighting that seems to be everywhere. The cursor thing that trails the mouse is distracting. I don't know points what the brand is trying to communicate through the design. Seems to be a mix of fancy effects with no singular purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

I've revamped my website design, made it more fresh, more simple and responsive.

Do you have any responsiveness related tips? What abut the layout?

I'm in the process of tweaking it and working on it, so any good advice might be implemented instantly.

The site is http://roo.ie/

As customer I would like to see Portfolio and Price.
    And I don't like anything following my mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mrlova

I really liked this design. But I will recommend to use colours in a specific theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 romanded

Advertisement