Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cisco EPC2425 modem/router help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

Tried that, even tried holding down the reset button for 10 sec, nothing doing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

MickeyD wrote: »
    Tried that, even tried holding down the reset button for 10 sec, nothing doing.

There is one possible difference then. I had the DHCP service turned off already in normal mode, before changing it to bridged mode. I wonder if that has any impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

I'll give it a shot another day, I need pints now to get over that network configuration hell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

If you change the router to bridge mode does it affect the phone service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 owenvenes

iv got one of these pieses of crap too. iv been trying to get into the login to forward ports so i can play age of empires 2 (an old classic) online. i logged in fine at http://192.168.1.1/ but iv tryed blanks and it wont work. iv tryed variations of admin, administrator, user, etc to no avail :(. every now and again the internet just vanishes while 2 meters away another laptop works fine. and my friend is having so many problem with his xbox and this ****ty router that hes changing net companys soon!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Fawkes

Paul007 wrote: »
    If you change the router to bridge mode does it affect the phone service?

Short answer NO, at least not for me.

I just got this new modem/router yesterday, as I got the phone service.
    I have been an UPC broadband for 5+ years and had a really old modem (just modem), so they had to replace it with this.

My first complain was that I like my router (Apple Time Capsule) and didn't want to use the new one (and this was even before I found this thread). So I quickly play with it and found the gateway option. Switch it to bridge and it immediately acts as a modem (not router) and I was set-up as before.

Unfortunately I've notice that if the router is on Bridge option, the phones won't work. I don't get a dial tone at all. I've tried this back and forth several times with the same results. Router mode phone works, bridge mode, phone doesn't work.

At the moment I've resorted to set the TimeCapsule on bridge mode so at least I can have both playing nicely together and I get the 802.11 n (5Ghz) wireless of the time capsule.

Problem is that the cisco is managing all the connections, so port forwarding and firewall is done by it. As this is only 1 day old not sure how it will behave.

I've it acts up as described on the forum I'll call upc to see what's the story with the bridge mode and phone service.

BTW I tried to find more documentation on the internets and nothing.

Does anybody knows how UPC phones works. I'm guessing this is VoIP through SIP. I've I could access the admin part of the modem and get the details I could configure my proper cisco ATA device and work around the phone issue. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

Holy shít, I think I love you. I've been having so many stupid problems with my cisco router. It won't save my dyndns settings, it likes to change back to defaults, it likes deleting my port forwarding settings. The one in my parents house just doesn't seem to like my brothers laptop and wouldn't let it connect over wireless. I sorted that last one but it's still a little iffy (works fine on mine though, boggles the mind).

I have my project for tomorrow. If it works I may just have to marry you. You had better be a hot babe with stupidly big tits.

How did you resolve the wireless laptop issue?

I'm having awful trouble with wireless connections to this modem. There are 2 wireless laptops in the house and they used to work!!! No while they find my cisco router they can't connect saying theres a problem with the security connection / key.

I had the whole 'resetting itself' problem a few weeks back and contacted UPC support. they ran through resolving it with my i.e. by renaming the SSID and password and a couple of other bits and I got the laptops to connect ok. But they just wont connect now at all.

The PS3 is also having terrible trouble connecting but if I keep resetting the modem and PS3 it eventually connects.

Were you issues similar and how did you resolve them?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

I'm having awful trouble with wireless connections to this modem. There are 2 wireless laptops in the house and they used to work!!! No while they find my cisco router they can't connect saying theres a problem with the security connection / key.

I had the whole 'resetting itself' problem a few weeks back and contacted UPC support. they ran through resolving it with my i.e. by renaming the SSID and password and a couple of other bits and I got the laptops to connect ok. But they just wont connect now at all.

The PS3 is also having terrible trouble connecting but if I keep resetting the modem and PS3 it eventually connects.

Cheers

Ok all resolved now.

Phoned UPC tech support after I posted the message above. Spent approx. 15 minutes waiting and the person I got talking to couldn't resolve the problema nd said I needed to speak with 'Second Line Support' as the problem is with wireless connections and not my main PC which is plugged direct into the router. Anyway she said they were busy so expect a callback.

No callback that night but did get a text the next afternoon saying that my problem should be resolved.

Got home checked the laptops and PS3 and all working. Don't know what they did but it worked!!

Any ideas what they did?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cheers

I'm not even too sure. I re-installed windows and the laptop connected fine to my cisco modem. Brought it up to my parents and it just would not connect. I can't remember the exact steps but it involved a lot of restarts (modem and laptop) and installing/uninstalling loads of windows updates/ drivers. It was just pure luck I got it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Wayne Scales

I also have this POS router. I had the wireless working using another router to broadcast the wireless , this has unfortunatly stopped working and I am having trouble getting it back working again. In order to use a seperate router to broadcast the wireless do I just need to disable the Wireless access point on the cisco ? Anything else ? Everytime I try that when the PC reboots its unable to get a connection when the secondary router is connected to the cisco. Any help would be appreciated...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

hi all i am living n the dorset street area i have the 10meg upc broadband package all was fine till 3 days ago now i have to keep resetting the modem/router its a cisco my internet works for an hour then it just dies tryed everything only thing that fixes it is resetting its starting to get on my wick if it does not sort it self out soon it going true the window at speed a lot more than 10meg i can tell you if anyone can trow some light on this i would really be greatful thank you all in advance..........

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Gdep

A firmware upgrade was done to the cisco modems. thats what i was told by upc. this is the reason for everybody losing their connections. the wireless channel is set to auto everytime the cisco modem is reset and this option just does not work. if you change the channel to 1,6 or 11 his should solve the dropping wireless.

For anyone that cant log into the modem if the blank username and password doesnt work you can do the reset at the back and that will revert the password and username to blank.

Very helpful chap in UPC for once

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Gdep wrote: »
    A firmware upgrade was done to the cisco modems
    When was this? Since this morning, my wireless router isn't bridging the connection from my Scientific Atlanta cable modem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

Evening all.
    Apologies if this is like reopening an old wound, but I cannot seem to get access via wireless to the Cisco EPC2425 router. As I sit here typing, I'm hardwired into the back of the router, and I can get into the control panel to see where I "think" I should be going, but can't seem to figure out what the settings should be for wireless connectivity from the laptop. Then again, I'm not entirely sure what the settings are in Windows !
    Tried the "Repair" function in Windows and still couldn't pick up a wireless network. So I'm a bit stymied here.
    Presumably, I don't need to hardcode IP addresses for the Wireless connection ? These are set to "obtain automatically".
    What I don't see straight off, is where to set the SSID/WEP key combination, so that these credentials are passed to the router, and hey presto! we're off 'wireless'ing' from anywhere around the house !
    Please help
    All help gratefully received
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Have not been in the config on this box in ages but now that my BT DSL is cancelled I shall be using UPC connection the whole time so will be taking a look at bridging.

I, like many, think these 2425's are absolute pieces of dirt and are insulting of the Cisco badge!

Anyway's - one thing that solved many issues for me was when I realised that it does not like having non alphanumerics in the WPA key (i.e. stick to a-z and 0-9). Once I got rid of other characters I have not had a problem connecting wirelessly to it using an array of OS's and devices.

Hope this helps someone out there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

Thanks mate, but it's using WEP 64-bit, not WPA (though I know it should be set to use the latter for security).
    It's the brother-in-laws machine. I was round there trying to sort it out and couldn't get a connection via the wireless connection to the router. I know there's a setting somewhere in the console and again on the Windows wireless setup but I don't see it straight off...
    I'm looking at the settings on my own BT Voyager and it's fairly straightforward to configure..
    The wee icon on the taskbar is not picking up a wireless device right from startup so.....am baffled....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've bridged my modem to another router so my cisco modem is just getting the internet connection and my router is doing all the routing and it has improved things massively. I recommend it to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Based on previous posts I will lose my phone service if I use bridging so not sure that's a runner for me:confused:

Anyone know what UPC's policy would be on giving me a 2nd 2425 to get around this? i.e. - I could hook the 2nd one onto another cable point and just use it for the phone service??

Edit: the cheeky side is thinking another 30Mb on the 2nd point too - but cannot admit it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pablob

Heya lads I presume this is the place to post this (though feel free to move this post/redirect me to a new area)

Only a small problem (i've set up torrents and all is going well!)

I just realised I can't use safari with this router (even when I revert to original router settings)

Not a huge problem but safari does essentially have filemusiczilla/orbit downloader built into it via the activity window so it was very handy for some things....

Any ideas on how to get safari working?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I've bridged my modem to another router so my cisco modem is just getting the internet connection and my router is doing all the routing and it has improved things massively. I recommend it to everyone.

I had this setup too, but it was still just such a terrible modem. It does everything, just really badly. I complained, UPC called me, said they would send out a tech. When the tech called out I asked him if he had one of the old modems. He said that he had one out in his van and changed it for me. He said that they were like golddust at the moment since they only have the old modems from when they change people to the new ones and everyone seems to want them back!

Now I am happily running a DD-WRT enabled router connected directly to my PDC/DNS/DHCP server and everything runs so much better. The internet connection drops out from time to time (maybe once a week) but it comes back up of it's own accord so it's only ever down for literally 30 seconds amd it's normally middle of the night too. Happy days.

• Advertisement

Is there any way to keep their phone service working while bridging to another router. My parents have their phone service and I want to bridge the modem for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

When you put your modem into bridging mode I am guessing it turns off the DHCP and the router gets a new IP. Anyone know how I would find this IP so I can get into the modem config?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

irishguy wrote: »
    When you put your modem into bridging mode I am guessing it turns off the DHCP and the router gets a new IP. Anyone know how I would find this IP so I can get into the modem config?
    Try 192.168.100.1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Jonathan wrote: »
    Try 192.168.100.1

That worked thanks. Is there any way in getting the router to work in bridged mode and use the phone service at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Just got UPC broadband today with this router. I don't seem to be having as much trouble as other people (well, so far) but I don't know how much of that is due to the newer firmware. The firewall seems to be working well enough, nothing apparently getting needlessly blocked (I set relevent port forwarding, etc.), and the wireless seems to be much more stable and giving a better signal than my old Netgear router (DG834GT, miss the modded Linux firmware :( ) though I'm not using the supplied antenna.

Some weird things I have noticed:

- "Fixed CPE IP Assignment" (what a convoluted title!) is retarded - to assign a fixed IP address to a device, the device cannot be connected to the router otherwise it'll give a "duplicate MAC address" error. So it's impossible to do if you only have one functioning PC at the time.

- DynDNS doesn't seem to work, I just get "Unrecognized return code. ()"

- The "online user guides" link goes to a website that no longer exists! *slow claps*

So it has some faults but it doesn't seem completely terrible (yet!), not Netopia terrible at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jocko4

I also have this piece of S**T - I went into the wireless settings advanced & changed the "Xpress Technology" from disabled to enabled - it might be too early to say but it seems to have improved the wireless response speed. Has anybody else tried this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fame monster

Hey i just got it installed today with a cisco router and its really bad i pressed wireless and stuff and it works every few mins i dunno what to do its a 30 mb and its rly slow im wondering is it my router its like cisco router with modem in 1 so i have 1 box someone please help me my parents are going to kill me if i dont get it working i think i broke it but im not sure.. no i didnt i just pressed some stuff i have the tv and phone too btw.. any help appreciated i went to the cisco homepage and i just dont kno ...... please help me !! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

At the back of the router is a little pin hole.
    With it powered up - press and hold the button inside (with a pen) for 10secs.

That'll force it to reset everything to normal conditions.

Reboot and you should be up and running again using the wiress instructions provided - i.e. just enter the SSID and password UPC gave you.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭irishj

- DynDNS doesn't seem to work, I just get "Unrecognized return code. ()"

If you enable the service and restart the modem, then go back to 'dynamic dns' in the settings, you'll see it's enabled.

Just crappy firmware :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I was in a mates house yesterday trying to sort an issue for him & I noticed that I couldn't access 192.168.100.1 using firefox but could access it using IE8?

What's that all about?

He's using the old NTL\UPC modem & Netgear router.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement