Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acer Laptop Support - Tech support only, read the rules or you will be banned

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I sent an Acer C311 back 2 weeks ago, who can I call to get an update on it. The shop i bought it in sent it to the repair center in NI.

Anyone got the number for them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Acer Service

KTRIC wrote:
    I sent an Acer C311 back 2 weeks ago, who can I call to get an update on it. The shop i bought it in sent it to the repair center in NI.

Anyone got the number for them ?
    That's us, 0044 (0) 870 803 4915.

Call for an update any time Mon-Fri 09:00-17:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

I purchased an Acer laptop from Laptops Direct and some of the keys were not working ( left & right arrows, delete, home, end, most on the right hand side). I rang Laptops direct who put me on to acer who then put me on to ER Media and was told to box it up and a courier would collect it. I am waiting a week for someone to come collect it even after several calls to ER Media they say they will contact DHL. I have a Tracking Case ID if its any use??

My Laptop is gone over a month now and still no sign of getting it back is this a joke?????

jayo2004 wrote:
    My Laptop is gone over a month now and still no sign of getting it back is this a joke?????

The ETA on this part into Acer UK is 30/4/07, I expect to receive it very soon. As soon as we receive the part required for your repair we will endeavour to fix and test your laptop with 48 hours. If this part resolves the issue you should expect to receive your machine back very soon after.

Whilst we always attempt to repair machines as quickly as possible your warranty clearly states that repair times are restricted by parts availability. If a part is not in stock at the time of repair we must wait for that part to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Hi,

I bought this over 3 year ago now. Its been repaired before by a crowd called mikrolive in England. They replaced the screen. A couple months later the screen started to show line goind through it and scrambled picutre. I suspect a loose connection.

Is this type of problem repairable and how much roughly would it be.
    P.S Do you sell batteries

• Advertisement

Kingkong wrote:
    Hi,

I bought this over 3 year ago now. Its been repaired before by a crowd called mikrolive in England. They replaced the screen. A couple months later the screen started to show line goind through it and scrambled picutre. I suspect a loose connection.

Is this type of problem repairable and how much roughly would it be.
    P.S Do you sell batteries

I doubt it's a loose connection tbh, more likely graphics card or faulty screen. It would need to come in for assessment before I could quote prices for repair. Contact us on 0044 (0) 870 803 4915 to arrange collection and inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The power supply on my Acer Travelmate 3002WTMi won't work properly. Either the female socket in the computer, or the 2.5mm (or whatever size it is) plug that goes into it is the problem, im not sure which.

Any bit of movement causes the power to flick on and off, sometimes the only way to keep the power going to the laptop is to physically hold the male plug against the socket in the computer with one hand.

I have a new PSU ordered, so i should know if the problem is with the PSU or the actual socket in the computer.

What is worrying me though, is that even when the machine is getting power, the batteries are no longer recharging. Both of the batteries were 100% fine until the power supply problem started about a week ago. Is it possible that an intermittent power supply could have somehow damaged the recharging circuit?

The batteries are now slowly discharging at a couple of % a day because of the power supply flicking on and off. Eventually, both batteries will die, and because it's hard to keep power going to the computer for more than a minute or two without it cutting out, once both batteries are dead, that'll be it, i wont be able to get power to the machine long enough to even boot it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Hey Acer Support,

I got an Acer C311xmi tablet pc back from yourselves today and it seems to have the rubber feet on the base of the laptop removed making it unstable when sitting on a table.

Can you have a look into this and let me know what I should do.

Its been nearly 2 months now my laptop is gone. I was told on Friday that you had the parts. Is there any chance in getting my laptop back before the warranty runs out on it???. If it cannot be repaired i want a new one A.S.A.P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

jayo2004 wrote:
    Its been nearly 2 months now my laptop is gone. I was told on Friday that you had the parts. Is there any chance in getting my laptop back before the warranty runs out on it???. If it cannot be repaired i want a new one A.S.A.P

Jayo, this is an unofficial support forum for Acer laptops. If you are that cheesed off, get on the phone and start talking to someone. You cannot be certain Acer Support will be viewing this, or responding every day.

• Advertisement

Right I got the laptop back but it has marks all over the Lid. I sent up a brand new laptop to you guys and it now looks about 2 years old. I will be contacting Acer themselves about this as I want a refund or a new laptop. Tom I do realize this is unofficial support but I am posting to let other people aware of this disgraceful service:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

i had major problems with Acer as well, i found them unhelpful and disinterested.
    i will never buy an Acer product again and i would urge others to think twice, if something goes wrong you will have a lot of hassle getting it sorted.

Sorry for not replying for a while, been out of the office. I'll go back through the outstanding posts and give feedback as soon as possible.

Thanks

The power supply on my Acer Travelmate 3002WTMi won't work properly. Either the female socket in the computer, or the 2.5mm (or whatever size it is) plug that goes into it is the problem, im not sure which.

Three things could be wrong;

1) You've damaged the power pin inside the laptop which now isn't making proper contact (your new PSU won't help).

2) The pin on the male end of your PSU is broken (check for physical damage)

3) Your using the wrong PSU, you'd be surprised how easy it is to mix up PSUs that all look the same at home. This would also explain why the battery isn't charging.

I'd really need a look to make any definate faults though.

KTRIC wrote:
    Hey Acer Support,

I got an Acer C311xmi tablet pc back from yourselves today and it seems to have the rubber feet on the base of the laptop removed making it unstable when sitting on a table.

Can you have a look into this and let me know what I should do.

Certainley, call me and I'll mail them to you. 0870 803 4915

tom dunne wrote:
    Jayo, this is an unofficial support forum for Acer laptops. If you are that cheesed off, get on the phone and start talking to someone. You cannot be certain Acer Support will be viewing this, or responding every day.

I don't make light of your issues, but this forum is not to deal with this type of issue, I will continue to look into your case but we work under Acer's mandate. I can assure you everything is being done at our end to return your laptop in a working state as quickly as possible, we are at Acer's mercy with parts distribution and warranty terms and conditions.

I can see from our records your laptop is now returned and I hope the issues resolved.

mdwexford wrote:
    i had major problems with Acer as well, i found them unhelpful and disinterested.
    i will never buy an Acer product again and i would urge others to think twice, if something goes wrong you will have a lot of hassle getting it sorted.

Call me, I assure you I am never disinterested. 0870 803 4915.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Brenner

Hey, got an acer aspire 9300 there the other day and uninstalled Vista ;) and put xp pro (32bit edition) on in

Anyway I'm having driver issues with the wireless device.

Basically an "Unknown Device" comes up in my Device Manager -
    "Modem on Audio Bus"

...or something like that, sorry don't have it with me in work for exact error wording.

Either way, the wireless (Foxconn - Atheros) driver doesn't seem to be working (uninstalled/reintalled etc.)
    is there any other driver that might work? or is there conflicts between that driver and the nvidia one maybe?

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Cheers
    Bren

Brenner wrote:
    Hey, got an acer aspire 9300 there the other day and uninstalled Vista ;) and put xp pro (32bit edition) on in

Anyway I'm having driver issues with the wireless device.

Basically an "Unknown Device" comes up in my Device Manager -
    "Modem on Audio Bus"

...or something like that, sorry don't have it with me in work for exact error wording.

Either way, the wireless (Foxconn - Atheros) driver doesn't seem to be working (uninstalled/reintalled etc.)
    is there any other driver that might work? or is there conflicts between that driver and the nvidia one maybe?

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Cheers
    Bren

Two things, the "Modem on Audio Bus" you mention is not the wireless card, it is the audio device on the modem. You should use the official ACER drivers from The FTP Site to install this correctly.

Secondly, Acer laptops REQUIRE the ACER "Launch Manager" software to actually initialise the wireless device in the laptop. If you have wiped the HDD and re-installed windows I would guess that you didn't re-install this software. Go to this link to download it and see if the button on your laptop to switch on the wireless card now works. Software Utilities

I would suggest you go through most of these drivers and software and install them as neccesary, when you get the wireless card up and going you'll most likely require drivers for it. If you cannot find XP software/drivers on this site try going back out to another older machine that was shipped with XP and installing the software from it. Be careful not to install incorrect drivers as this could make things appear to work but not. Acer drivers are often changed to make them compatible with other components in the machine, downloading manufacturers drivers can sometimes cause more issues than they resolve.

Hi Cheers for the info,

I hadn't installed the modem driver yet, guess that will fix that...

Yeah I'd installed the launch manager because I knew I needed that for the program launch buttons etc. (the only drivers I've installed are from ther acer FTP/downloads URL)

Are you saying that if I press the button for the wireless and "Wireless Enabled" or something comes up in green at the bottom - Launch Manager is Installed?

This and other messages come up but I can't see my network...the wireless symbol flashes -
    Not solid as in the initial install with Vista... does that mean its driver is good and it just can't see the network?

Listen, cheers, I'll go home tonight and try a few things and hopefully get it sorted.
    Will post tomorrow RE Progress.

Thanks for the help,
    Bren

• Advertisement

Brenner wrote:
    Hi Cheers for the info,

I hadn't installed the modem driver yet, guess that will fix that...

Yeah I'd installed the launch manager because I knew I needed that for the program launch buttons etc. (the only drivers I've installed are from ther acer FTP/downloads URL)

Yeah, come back to me tommorrow and see if any of that helps. I'll take a look at any further issues you have.

Hey,

Thanks for your help there, it seems that the issue was that I didn't have the modem driver installed, I guessed I'd never be dialing up so I overlooked it at the time, just for interests sake... do you know that this was the issue here,

If I don't have my modem driver installed, but do have my LAN/ethernet driver and Wireless driver installed there will be issues with the wireless connection?

Either way I'm up and running wirelessly now,

Much appreciated, nice one for being on boards BTW! Good Idea.

Regards,
    Bren

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Hey

Acer. I have a problem.

My power light is on when I plug in the charger. The battery is green yet the thing wont turn on when I press the button. Any idea what this is and how much it would cost to repair.

Cheers
    G

aspire 1690

Grimes wrote:
    Hey

Acer. I have a problem.

My power light is on when I plug in the charger. The battery is green yet the thing wont turn on when I press the button. Any idea what this is and how much it would cost to repair.

Cheers
    G

aspire 1690

Depends on what exactly it does when you press the power button;
    1. Press power and fans start and lights come on but nothing appears on the screen - probably faulty RAM, possibly main board.
    2. Press power and lights flick on and immediately off again with no fans - CPU or mainboard usually faulty

If it was RAM you'd probably be looking at around £40-£50, a mainboard would be close to £220 and CPU dependent on what's in the system. These are all ball park figures and not quotations, I would need to inspect the unit to give definate quotations for repair.

Contact me on 00353 (0) 870 803 4915 to bring the machine in for an out of warranty inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The pin/plug on the male end of the PSU was (mostly) at fault, as the new PSU arrived last week and the laptop is getting power 99% of the time (still slightly sensitive to moving or twisting the plug).

However, both the large and small batteries are still refusing to take a charge, they are remaining at their current levels (25% and 4%), and I presume will slowly discharge over the coming weeks.
    Three things could be wrong;

1) You've damaged the power pin inside the laptop which now isn't making proper contact (your new PSU won't help).

2) The pin on the male end of your PSU is broken (check for physical damage)

3) Your using the wrong PSU, you'd be surprised how easy it is to mix up PSUs that all look the same at home. This would also explain why the battery isn't charging.

I'd really need a look to make any definate faults though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Acer XP laptop dead,
    I had this problem maybe a month back but now I can't find the thread. So I have the battery in and power connected. But there is no power light showing either Green/Green or Green>yellow =charging. It doesn't react at all to the ON button.

If I remeber correctly there is a Keyboard combination or something like holdng the "escape" key for 10 seconds. But have no idea any more what it was.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

dohouch wrote:
    Acer XP laptop dead,
    I had this problem maybe a month back but now I can't find the thread. So I have the battery in and power connected. But there is no power light showing either Green/Green or Green>yellow =charging. It doesn't react at all to the ON button.

If I remeber correctly there is a Keyboard combination or something like holdng the "escape" key for 10 seconds. But have no idea any more what it was.
    If it wasn't recting to the power button "at all" then how are you going to use the key combo to resolve the issue? that only works to restore the laptops software partitions and OS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

I had the same problem maybe 4 weeks ago, and I just can't rember the key-combo. It was like the key-combo was a way of freeing the system of static build-up. It was like remove alll power supplies battery/power cord and then hold some button for 10 seconds. Will have to go on searching.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

dohouch wrote:
    I had the same problem maybe 4 weeks ago, and I just can't rember the key-combo. It was like the key-combo was a way of freeing the system of static build-up. It was like remove alll power supplies battery/power cord and then hold some button for 10 seconds. Will have to go on searching.

If your trying to remove static, which is usually just a short term fix, you would remove the battery and power cable and simply hold the power button in for at least 30-60 secs to discharge all the capacitors etc.

Although, from experience this is often a temporary solution and the problem will most likely happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Here's a bit of a stupid question.

I've a Ferrari 405wlmi.
    Y'know the directional button between the left and right mouse buttons? What does it do and how do you make it work?
    Cheers, WP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement