Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Funny and weird past participles and made up Hiberno Irish words

• 05-03-2020 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

I was talking about this with a friend recently about how sometimes Irish people have odd and bizzare made up words that are bastardised versions of past participles. Some of them just sound hilarious. My friend suggested that you often hear them from people who might not have great education or are from rough backgrounds but I happen to think it is much more common as I even catch myself saying some of them sometimes. We now keep an eye out for these words and catch eachother saying them sometimes.

Some of the one's we've came across are here:

squelt - supposed to be squealed as in told on someone
    squez - instead of squeezed
    snez - instead of sneezed

While it is usually words that are supposed to end in -ed that are given the weird substitution, there are cases where that is acceptable, like knelt instead of kneeled or slept - sleeped. The strange ones we here seem to be inappropriate application of the same type of irregular past participle.

Would any of you know what the story is with this and why it might be a common occurrence? I'd be very interested and I proposed to my friend that this is probably a natural evolution and that some of these catch on over time and become accepted recognized words.

Of course, if anyone has any more funny strange past participles like this it would also be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

squelt - supposed to be squealed as in told on someone
    squez - instead of squeezed
    snez - instead of sneezed

Never heard of any of them.
    While it is usually words that are supposed to end in -ed that are given the weird substitution, there are cases where that is acceptable, like knelt instead of kneeled or slept - sleeped. The strange ones we here seem to be inappropriate application of the same type of irregular past participle.

Not heard of this either.

Advertisement