Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help with translation

• 23-03-2015 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hello, I'm just having a wee bit of trouble working out the exact meaning of this sentence:

今日までに旅行の用意をしなければならない。

It's taken from an N4 prep book.

It is necessary up until now to prepare for the trip?

Perhaps I'm missing something very silly! (More likely it's my sketchy understanding of しなければならない)

I understand the component parts, but the overall picture is eluding me. Any help is appreciated!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

"I have to do my travel preparations by today."

「しなければならない」 = "Have to do"/"Must do".
    「今日までに」 = "by today" (if it was just 「今日まで」 without 「に」, it would translate to "until today", obviously changing the meaning significantly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭bunnyarmstrong

kawaii wrote: »
    "I have to do my travel preparations by today."

「しなければならない」 = "Have to do"/"Must do".
    「今日までに」 = "by today" (if it was just 「今日まで」 without 「に」, it would translate to "until today", obviously changing the meaning significantly).

Thank you so much! Makes perfect sense. :)

どういたまして!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

(More likely it's my sketchy understanding of しなければならない)

With the caveat that my Japanese is terrible:

Kawaii did a good job breaking down some of the grammar, but I think this bit can do with some more explaining. How you express "must" in Japanese is often a double-negative, so なければ is sorta saying you can't do something, and then it's combined with another negative form. 食べなければいけない is kinda literally "I can't not eat" but it means, I must/have to eat. It was a little hard to wrap my head around at first, ならない then means "if not"

So yeah, it means "I must pack for the trip by today", but break it down a bit more and it's kinda literally saying "If I don't pack for the trip by today, then it's not gonna happen"

ありがとう guys.

Links, that's mad helpful. I was looking over the conditional tense today and it all kind of got reinforced with that explanation! :)

Edit: actually, while I think of it, is there a more informal way of expressing must/have to/it's necessary?

The one above is quite a mouthful. :o

• Advertisement

しなきゃ!しなくちゃ!せねば!しなけりゃ!せなあかん!

kawaii wrote: »
    しなきゃ!しなくちゃ!せねば!しなけりゃ!せなあかん!

わぁー!  ゚ ゚ ( Д  )

Are they different dialects? Or all under the Tokyo-ben umbrella?

Edit: actually, while I think of it, is there a more informal way of expressing must/have to/it's necessary?

As Kawaii demonstrated, there are loads, but don't overload yourself learning all the possibilities just yet. I'd say なきゃ would be one to remember as it's a contraction of なければ and used very casually. ;)

わぁー!  ゚ ゚ ( Д  )

Are they different dialects? Or all under the Tokyo-ben umbrella?

せなあかん is Kansai
    せねば is kind of antiquated, and sounds ironic when spoken.
    The first two are the most common!

Thanks folks, really appreciate the help. :)

• Advertisement

Sorry for bumping guys, quick question over a simple thing:

もう、猫のタマにえさをやった?

Specifically the subject. Is it 'the cat with the ball'?

So....kind of 'Have you fed the cat with the ball yet/already?'

A little strange in my head.

Sorry for bumping guys, quick question over a simple thing:

もう、猫のタマにえさをやった?

Specifically the subject. Is it 'the cat with the ball'?

So....kind of 'Have you fed the cat with the ball yet/already?'

A little strange in my head.

I assume the cat's name is 'Tama'. 'Have you fed the cat, Tama?'

Oh crickey never thought of that. The sentence is just something in a grammar book, isolated out of context, so mad confusing.

That explains the katakana....

Cheers Kawaii! :)

Very welcome!

It's a bit of a weird one... like in English, you'd normally either say 「もう、猫に餌をやった?」'have you fed the cat' or 「もう、タマちゃんに餌をやった?」'have you fed Tama'. Unless there's also a person called Tama.

Oh dear. An update on タマちゃん……(from the grammar book)

猫のタマが死んで、おばあさんは泣き続けています。

;_;

;_;

:eek:

That grammar book is worse than Game of Thrones :(

On a much less horrific grammar note, I have a wee question regarding conditional tenses.

Basically, why is 10万円もらったら、何がしたいですか okay, but 10万円もらえば、何がしたいですか is not?

I only ask because it was a multiple choice JLPT type question (I'm taking N4 in December).

The answer the book gave was the first example above (the underlined being the required grammar point), but gave the second as a possible answer.

I mulled over it quite sometime before choosing the first, but it was a guess. Any advice on this? I feel like it's a simple thing I've overlooked. :)

Advertisement