Forum Closed  

26-01-2010, 22:56   #46
T-Square

I just did my A1.2 in the Goethe last night, did the orals tonight.
It is about 440 euro, but it is nearly six months long and well worth the money.
Advertisement
27-01-2010, 07:38   #47
Micamaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furet View Post
No probs

Anyone have any experience on German trains? Should I get a first or second class ticket for my journey from Munich to Erlangen?
Make sure you turn up for your train good and early. Those Germans like to turn up about 20 mins early to start getting seats, so if you want a window seat by yourself, then show up at least 10 minutes early. Also just watch out for any names displayed above the seat...that means the seat is reserved.

Oh and try a sandwich from Vincenz Murrs in the main train station....they are fantastic, simple tasty food and cheap too!

About doing German courses, the Goethe is good but expensive. I'm just pointing out there may be another option available in Germany, which will cost a lot less. The Volkshochschule awards certificates too. Some of the courses will probably start at 120 euro and last a few months, but you might have three classes a week. It is much cheaper. But sometimes you might have teachers who are great and sometimes less great. But you can try a class and change in the first week or two if it doesn't suit you.

Last edited by Micamaca; 27-01-2010 at 07:58.
27-01-2010, 13:11   #48
Tall Saint

on the topic of learning German, does anyone know any good verb books I could pick up to assist my learning? I remember in school I had a French one with a load of verbs,their meanings and all the tenses. Sorry if this is off-topic for the thread,i'll re-post as a new thread if needed.
18-03-2010, 01:52   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Saint View Post
on the topic of learning German, does anyone know any good verb books I could pick up to assist my learning? I remember in school I had a French one with a load of verbs,their meanings and all the tenses. Sorry if this is off-topic for the thread,i'll re-post as a new thread if needed.
Ubung macht den Meister is pretty good for grammar.
26-03-2010, 01:53   #50

Hey Furret, how is Erlangen going? I spent a year there, its a great town.
Advertisement
26-03-2010, 13:36   #51

I was a bit iffy about it at the start, mostly because of accommodation issues, not Erlangen itself. The weather has been beautiful this past week (the long, cold winter ended very suddenly last week) and I appreciate now how friendly a place Erlangen is in terms of cyclepaths and walkways etc. Going for a cycle to Nuremberg pretty soon actually! Whereabouts did you live?
26-03-2010, 14:16   #52

Actually, scratch that - a big storm has just arrived: wind, rain, lightning. No cycle this evening!
15-05-2010, 17:09   #53
murphaph

Murphaph here in Berlin since early 2009. I like it, working away and doing German 2 evenings a week at the VHS (C2 Oberstufe). I did intensive German lessons at the start to bring me from B1 to C1 and then bailed to an evening course. I speak German mostly with the GF so that helps more now than classes, though I like being kept on the straight and narrow vis a vis grammar! Having experienced both a private school and the VHS I can say I find the standard similarly high in both...will never fork out for lessons outside a VHS in future. My GF does Hungarian at the VHS and her teacher is actually a Hungarian lecturer from Humboldt University, top notch.

A mate of mine is doing intensive lessons with the VHS now and he's coming on in leaps and bounds having started at A1.
22-05-2010, 22:01   #54
John C

Location: In the S-Bahn Gebiet of Munich. [rapid transport area]
German: intermediate German with the Cork German Society.
Evening classes in Germany.
Sprachdiplom von Goethe Institute.

John C
Advertisement
21-09-2010, 21:00   #55
mashling

I've just made the move from Galway to Freiburg.

I don't speak German (yet) so it's going to be a bit of a challenge!
26-09-2010, 23:33   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashling View Post
I've just made the move from Galway to Freiburg.

I don't speak German (yet) so it's going to be a bit of a challenge!
I'm moving to Freiburg in Nov. Moving over to the GF once I finish my PhD here (submitting in a week or two). Must admit I am a bit worried as I have no German and no money to do a course. I have a loan to cover rent and living for two months (3 at a stretch) so really need to find a job once I get there. Has anybody found this difficult? I know there are two Irish bars there, but I imagine jobs are not easy to find there as it is a student town already. Stressful stuff!
26-09-2010, 23:55   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopper View Post
I'm moving to Freiburg in Nov. Moving over to the GF once I finish my PhD here (submitting in a week or two). Must admit I am a bit worried as I have no German and no money to do a course. I have a loan to cover rent and living for two months (3 at a stretch) so really need to find a job once I get there. Has anybody found this difficult? I know there are two Irish bars there, but I imagine jobs are not easy to find there as it is a student town already. Stressful stuff!
Post on the Freiburg section of www.toytowngermany.com and ask for tips (it's an English-language website). Go to the Irish pub; someone may be able to point you in the direction of a job somewhere...
Thanks from:
28-09-2010, 10:56   #58
mashling

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopper View Post
Hi Scopper,

I've only been in Freiburg for a week but I have to say that nearly everyone I've met has English so it's easy enough to get by.
I haven't had to search for a job over here as my lovely boss is letting me work from home, but I have seen a good number of ads up on windows for work (I think I saw one up in the Irish pub O'Kellys for a waitress the last day), and the local paper has a large classifieds section http://www.badische-zeitung.de/lokales/freiburg/ which is available online and can be translated with google translate (thanks google!)

One great thing about Freiburg is that the cost of food here is much cheaper, I got a massive pizza in a nice restaurant the last day for 5 euro, and there are Aldis and Lidls everywhere that are much cheaper than Ireland.

Another Irish head in Freiburg, excellent!
Thanks from:
01-10-2010, 00:05   #59
Orla_inka

Learning German in Germany.

I hate language schools. They are a rip off both for people working there and students.

If anyone asks about learning German I tell them that there are Germans crying out for tandem partners in most universities.

I see some have mentioned Freiburg. Freiburg has a university and a PH (Teacher training college) I am sure you will find someone willing to teach you German for your English. Also, I think it is a good way to meet lots of young people. Just post a message on the boards.
Thanks from:
01-10-2010, 00:07   #60

Thank you all for the advice. It is making me feel much better about moving
Forum Closed