Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade and Retro – 3D Prints

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Probably best to go with the white if you want to paint.
    I do have some orange filament, but it's cheap rubbish and was used in the old printer, so wouldn't recommend it at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Probably best to go with the white if you want to paint.
    I do have some orange filament, but it's cheap rubbish and was used in the old printer, so wouldn't recommend it at all.

grand ..sure stick us down for a white one so ;)

have you printed anything yet?
    a friend of mine has a few different printers and always seems to be fixing them or calibrating them.never printing!

have you printed anything yet?
    a friend of mine has a few different printers and always seems to be fixing them or calibrating them.never printing!

Well this is my second 3D printer(third if you count a dodgy home built one I made a few years back that never worked). So I’ve learned some hard lessons, the main one being that I should never give Makerbot any money :)

But this new one is from Ultimaker and it’s a joy to use(Ultimaker 2 Extended is the model). Plug in, power up, calibrate and you are ready to go in 5 mins. The Makerbot was plugin in, power up, wait for error, wait for printer “smart” extruder to break, order new extruder, wait 6-8 weeks :0/

There will always be tweaking with these things, but this new one is on a different level to the old thing.

I’m currently re-doing one of the rooms in the house as a “MakerRoom” for myself and the GF so we can do our creative work in there without distraction. Until that’s finished the 3D printer is on the table in the kitchen and only printing small and quick prints until the end of this week when I have a new worktop installed in the “MakerRoom”.

tl;dr

Yes, I’ve printed on it :)

Nice.the maker bots are tripe.

• Advertisement

Nice.the maker bots are tripe.

Yeah, over the last couple years they’ve certainly sullied their name in the 3D printing community. I went for their Replicator 2 printer as I was just impressed with the look of it and the extra features as well as the advertised print quality(it was shiny and I want it syndrome). In the end the extra features were mostly bull****(web cam, smart extruder) that didn’t work well or just not at all. Print quality was crap and getting it to print ABS was a pain(as it isn’t officially supported). It’s a very nice printer to look at, but that’s all you can do, look at it :0/

Anyway, this new one seems to be a much better job. I’ll do up a nerd video of it printing when its setup in its new home and share it here for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Until that’s finished the 3D printer is on the table in the kitchen

latest?cb=20121209020531&path-prefix=en

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Cant wait until you can print us all 3D printers, then we are in business.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Cant wait until you can print us all 3D printers, then we are in business.

Well in theory you could build an exact copy of my new printer as everything in it is open source. It’s powered by an Arduino Mega 2560 and they released 3D models of all the plastic parts.

Not sure how much you’d save building your own though once everything is said and done. But it would be handy in that you wouldn’t have to throw down the full price in one go and could work on it over time as they can be pricey things.

I could print you a miniature (non-functional) version :)

As long as the minature one can print even smaller 3d printers, then eventually my nano printers will rule the world....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

pffft! nano printer is sooo last year, I'm using a femto printer

It looks like I’ll actually have some free time this weekend, so I’ll get off my ass and get these printed up for you guys.

I think I’ve printed off maybe 3 smallish things since I go this printer, so this weekend it’s gonna get hammered with prints as its all setup in its new home in my “MakerRoom” and ready to rock(I couldn't print much in the kitchen as the smell of hot ABS is not so nice with dinner :)).

xvXgxKk.jpg

Time lapse videos please! ;)

Doge wrote: »
    Time lapse videos please! ;)

Will see if I can free up a GoPro or iPhone :)

Ran off a few prints on this tonight. Tried a couple of those low poly retro figures that seem to be popular on the 3D printing sites. Printer still needs tweaking, not quite as clean as I'd like.

Low Poly Mega Man

AvvUbaq.jpg

And started a few tests on some prints for the guys here.

R3D7YYi.jpg

More tweaking needed :0/

Woohoo! That time lapse video looks very slick dude!

Doge wrote: »
    Woohoo! That time lapse video looks very slick dude!

Just a bog standard iPhone 6 timelapse over a 2 hour period, no editing at all.

I've decided to install a dedicated GoPro for some 4k timelapse goodness, ordered a new one for it last night. Major overkill, but, well, feck it :)

Did my first 12 hour print on it last night, went very well until the very end when it messed up the face badly :(

Darth Buddha fail.
    eC97hZ5.jpg

I'm liking these low poly retro characters.

Kirby

Ok, i'll stop posting rubbish on this thread now :)

Its your thread, keep it up, i am enjoying them. Some kirby music would suit that last vid :)

Its your thread, keep it up, i am enjoying them. Some kirby music would suit that last vid :)

Yeah, but some of the stuff I'm printing now isnt exactly arcade and retro related.
    So cant really be posting here that I printed the Glaive from the Krull movie :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Post the Kirby one AND the krull one in the same post.. that would cover you.. right??

Yeah, but some of the stuff I'm printing now isnt exactly arcade and retro related.
    So cant really be posting here that I printed the Glaive from the Krull movie :)

Isnt exactly arcade and retro related you say. I knew it, mass production of rampant rabbits.... Called it

Isnt exactly arcade and retro related you say. I knew it, mass production of rampant rabbits.... Called it

Nothing as exciting as that :)

I've started to test out the Bronzefill material(80% Bronze, 20% plastic). Comes out not that interesting, but a bit of polishing with steel wool and i can see that with a proper polish and sand i could get a nice finish on it.
    I do need to print it a bit higher resolution though.

HndGLro.jpg

daVAM4v.jpg

Thats deadly, Thought it was the staff relic from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Thats deadly, Thought it was the staff relic from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Yeah, I’m interested to see what I can do with the bronze material. I’m thinking a polished bronze Game Boy or other console shell :)

That coin is just some Pirates of the Caribbean download I got from Thingiverse to test out the print. With some proper polishing it will look like proper metal.
    It seems I need to invest in a rock/jewellery tumble polisher to really do a proper job on it. They are cheap enough so I think I might just get one and save me hours of manual polishing.

I must say, after having a Makerbot printer, which almost turned me off 3D printing completely because of all the hassle and problems, this new Ultimaker is a joy. The only problems I’ve had so far have been my own fault, and I can live with that.

I've got everything printed that was requested, will contact those concerned over PM tomorrow.

If anyone else has anything they need printed let me know.

Below is a link to all the materials I currently have (I got a few large/heavy deliveries over last few days :)).
    There's links in there as well, so you can see what they look like and what the properties of each material is.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EQbnVKGaMIFmInSXciIq4IJGGpLWZUROx6wATvgWyFM/edit?usp=sharing

Dr Bob's thingy(I got some orange in).

Been trying to find a really good model of the T800 that prints well. So far not one has printed well enough for me to decide to go full size on it. Below is a "quick" print I did today, quick being 6 hours!

The search continues :0/

LYhqet4.jpg

And for those wondering why I hated my old Makerbot 3d printer, have a look below.
    Left is an A1200 trapdoor printed on the Makerbot replicator 2, top right is an A600 trapdoor printed on the new Ultimaker 2 Extended and bottom right is the original A600 door. Quite a difference I think :0)

41y9SpO.jpg

Flippin heck thats a substantial difference.

I have a feeling you will have a lab like in Alien where all your failed print mutations will live.

• Advertisement

I hope there isn't a power cut over the next few days!

yUcPOpx.jpg

W2ZZqqp.jpg

Advertisement