Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Death knell for petrol and diesel cars?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

That's it where's the 7 seaters and 4x4's. Were going to need diesel and petrol for years to come. Encourage people to change with incentives but also realise it's not for everyone. It's a plan they should maybe start in 10yrs when there's a large enough second hand market of EV's and the infrastructure is there. By then we'll probably all want Hydrogen cars though.
    It's still very early days in a new technology, policy should be wait and see. Ireland is going to have such a little impact on a global scale it'll all be for nothing anyway as the yanks will still be driving monster trucks.

It’s typical of the Irish government. Bring in a smoking ban, reduce the blood alcohol limit for drink driving and put the price of diesel on par with petrol. Our politicians love these laws they can change with the stroke of a pen. It takes the attention off of hospitals, homelessness and gangland killings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭sk8board

People saying that they wouldn’t feel comfortable buying a diesel or petrol car today are thinking about it from a commercial perspective (i.e depreciation curve), rather than any environmental one.
    How much worse do you think the new-car depreciation curve will be? It’s a silly thought imho.

97.6% of new cars this year are diesel and petrol, along with (I would therefore assume) 99% of the roadworthy national fleet.

Your 192 petrol burning car will long since have been owned by multiple owners, EoL’ed, crushed and recycled into a park bench before we reach anything close to a 50%+ renewable energy fleet, and your depreciation curve will be the same as before.

Lower priced/longer range/volume EVs will be available in 5-7 years and then people have a real choice on the forecourt. That choice isn’t there today, no matter what the EV early adopters tell you.
    We’re talking about swapping an entire national fleet of 2.5m cars. It won’t happen over night

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    The article (in the OP) is clearer than others I’ve read. No petrol or diesel new cars from 2030 on, no NCTs for petrol or diesels from 2045.

So no car sold in 2020 will be impacted - unless less you’re getting a 25 year finance deal :o

And of course, they may yet back down - I suspect some “classic” rule for the NCT will be worked out.

Paddy

So what they are saying that in 11 years time the only new vehicles will be electric vehicles?

Considering that 70 % of all our energy comes from fossil fuels atm it's rather unlikely that our energy production is even going to be close to 70% renewables at that stage

Great thing coal powered vehicles ...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yes if you have plenty of dosh. Not many can afford to.

My well specced fully electric car the size of a Skoda Octavia, cost me the same as a similarly specced diesel Skoda Octavia 2.5 years ago

And then the savings begin. The EV saves a good €2,000-€3,000 per year in running costs compared with the diesel. More if you do big miles. The depreciation is much lower too. Maintenance is almost zero

Of course that was with the €10,000 subsidy on EVs. Soon enough even without any subsidy, it will be cheaper to manufacture an EV than it is a diesel

gozunda wrote: »
    So what they are saying that in 11 years time the only new vehicles will be electric vehicles?

Yes. In some other countries it's much earlier. In Norway it's only 5 years away. And only 3 years away for taxis.
    gozunda wrote: »
    Considering that 70 % of all our energy comes from fossil fuels atm it's rather unlikely that our energy production is even going to be close to 70% renewables at that stage

Great thing coal powered vehicles ...

EVs are largely charged at night. Up to 75% of Ireland's night time electricity supply is from wind. This percentage increases every year. Should be up to 100% within the next few years (on a windy night of course)

Ireland has used almost zero coal to generate electricity for nearly a year now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

unkel wrote: »
    BarryD2 wrote: »
    I can't see this elimination of diesel and petrol vehicles actually happening in the way proposed. You can live by walking/ cycling/ public transport in cities but government policy for rural areas for decades past has been to contract & amalgamate services and oblige citizens to travel further and further. To reverse that policy

Who says anything about taking peoples cars away? Soon you can't buy a petrol or a diesel car anymore, but you can do all that people did before with their cars, with a fully electric car.

I'd be very very surprised if "soon you can't buy a petrol or diesel car anymore".

Funny stuff, what if a new government is voted in within the next 10 years - do you think all these policies will stay as they are planned..I doubt it very much. Will the 50 or so tractors that pass my door every day during the summer all of a sudden be electric??

Politicians have seen a few green votes in a local election & have suddenly come up with a plan.

trixiebust wrote: »
    I'd be very very surprised if "soon you can't buy a petrol or diesel car anymore".

Funny stuff, what if a new government is voted in within the next 10 years - do you think all these policies will stay as they are planned..I doubt it very much. Will the 50 or so tractors that pass my door every day during the summer all of a sudden be electric??

Politicians have seen a few green votes in a local election & have suddenly come up with a plan.

We’re all fcuked if the Greens hold any kind of clout in the next government. They’ll jet around Europe themselves and make us all scrap our petrol and diesel cars.

trixiebust wrote: »

Well it will be 2030 in this country, so over a decade away.

Personally I would have liked it to be 2025 or 2026 like in far more progressive countries like Norway and the Netherlands, but hey, I'll take 2030 :p

Very important we get diesels banned from our cities within the next year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    You are right Paddy. But this will change attitudes towards Diesels in particular. That parity in the price of diesel and petrol can be brought in with the stroke of a pen. I can see some headline grabbing politician bringing that in sooner rather than later. Also the push towards electric cars will happen sooner than they are saying. I feel they are flying a kite to see people’s reaction. With the recent popularity of the Green Party, all these ideas can be fast tracked.

What popularity??? They got 8% of the vote. 92% of those who voted didn't vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

EVs are largely charged at night. Up to 75% of Ireland's night time electricity supply is from wind. This percentage increases every year. Should be up to 100% within the next few years (on a windy night of course)Ireland has used almost zero coal to generate electricity for nearly a year now...

Do you have a link for that?

Approx 70% of all electricity atm is produced by burning fossil fuels according to current Eirgrid data

The EVs I see on my travels are plugged into free charging points during daylight hours. Sure why wouldn't owners avail if free of charge regardless of time of day - it's not like they're restricted to night time or anything

Regarding coal fired - the government has announced that Moneypoint power plant will be running up to at least 2025. And afaik Moneypoint was only offline for a period and is now back up and running.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/moneypoint-furnaces-fired-up-after-shutdown-37752322.html

Eitherway the tongue in cheek references to 'coal powered vehicles' was a humorous reference to all fossil fuels ;)

But no I dont believe have a snowballs chance of 100% wind. Just my own opinion btw ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Well it will be 2030 in this country, so over a decade away.

Personally I would have liked it to be 2025 or 2026 like in far more progressive countries like Norway and the Netherlands, but hey, I'll take 2030 :p

Very important we get diesels banned from our cities within the next year or two.

Good luck getting a taxi in Dublin so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Good luck getting a taxi in Dublin so.

Already a few electric taxis in Dublin ?

https://www.nrc.ie/electric-taxis.html

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭whats_my_name

I wonder what taxes will be introduced onto electric vehicles come 2030 to recoup the excise duty that is currently made on petrol and diesel??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

BER of B2 for housing & Apartments? How will they do that with some of the shoe boxes in Dublin? If you added installation the room's would be unfit to live in.

What popularity??? They got 8% of the vote. 92% of those who voted didn't vote for them.

Okay didn’t know that. The media were giving the impression they were now hugely popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Until they come up with a home charging solution for those of us who don't have off street parking then EVs just don't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭freddieot

Don 't be in too much of a panic or a hurry over this.

Anyone know the plan for how many power stations we are going to build to power all the recharging that will be needed in 2030 ?

Are we going nuclear to keep cost down (like some of our EU comrades that have less carbon emissions) or will the cost of electricity go through the roof ?

Also, anyone who thinks that taxes (road tax, VRT etc.) won't skyrocket for EVs in a few years once the number of electric vehicles reaches a certain tipping point is badly mistaken. This is a money \ tax grabbing country and if they lose tax from petrol \ diesel drivers then they will bleed the new crop of EV drivers instead.

As regards buying electric now, it's perhaps an even bigger risk than buying diesel. In 6 years time in 2025, there will still be a big market for diesel 2nd hand vehicles. Apart from other considerations, the alternative will be to purchase 2nd hand EV vehicles that will have todays technology. Anyone remember what happened to older mobile phones when smartphones came along ? What did the guys making typewriters or pagers do wrong exactly? Today's technology on EVs will look prehistoric in 5 -7 years and this will be pushed by the now stronger move towards electric and the EV cars bought now will lose massively in value. It's the price for being first and anyone buying an EV today will suffer that in 6-7 years time.

If they eventually start releasing (ordinary) cars that can go 600k on a charge and recharge in 15-20 minutes, which they are going to do in 4-5 years, then buying an older EV that can realistically only go 150\ 200k (with the air con and radio off) will look like madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Unless we go nuclear power for all these EV charging every night then there is no point. Going from fossil fuel based cars to EV to reduce emissions is basically just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. The current power grid cannot support half a million EVs so we need to build more fossil fuel power stations and cover the country in wind turbines that people protest will spoil the views.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yes if you have plenty of dosh. Not many can afford to.

There will be thousands of second hand electric cars by then...whats the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Unless we go nuclear power for all these EV charging every night then there is no point. Going from fossil fuel based cars to EV to reduce emissions is basically just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. The current power grid cannot support half a million EVs so we need to build more fossil fuel power stations and cover the country in wind turbines that people protest will spoil the views.

These lazy myths are tiresome. It is demonstrably not shifting the burden equivalently onto power plants.

https://knowledge.insead.edu/blog/insead-blog/the-four-most-prevalent-myths-about-electric-cars-10381

Electric cars is the future and I can't wait to trade up my hybrid to full electric. Never going back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

8-10 wrote: »
    These lazy myths are tiresome. It is demonstrably not shifting the burden equivalently onto power plants.

https://knowledge.insead.edu/blog/insead-blog/the-four-most-prevalent-myths-about-electric-cars-10381

Electric cars is the future and I can't wait to trade up my hybrid to full electric. Never going back.

Yep same as that, the current family car us a 2008 petrol Vectra. We are planning a family holiday to Orlando next year so we will drive the bag out of it until then. But late next/early 2021 we will be getting a new car and it will at the very least be a hybrid.

I'd imagine a lot of people out there are planning the same as I, I said here last year that there is a cliff coming for the second hand market for diesel cars very soon and I was laughed at.

I believe that cliff will come in the next 5 years, anyone buying a brand new diesel car now with the plan to upgrade in 5 years would need their head examined IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

GreeBo wrote: »

They will be outdated tech. Electric car tech is advancing rapidly year on year. The battery and charging tech being the main areas. You can already see this with the fast charge cars out now versus the very first gen EVs.

To me the concept of buy a second hand EV is like buying a second hand mobile phone, the battery will be knackered in both so not worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The government were hammered in local elections and Greens reaped the benefits less than a month ago. So typically the knee jerk reactionary government drummed up this climate change document with no costing or proper planning. They threw out a few dates for when they want to have certain measure implemented but its all bull****. Nothing, NOTHING has ever ran on time in this country, every successive government has failed abysmally reaching targets/dates in relation to climate change and this is going to be no different.

They cant declare a ban on petrol/diesel cars in 11 years when so far to date they have spent next to zero on EV charging points, public transport, cycling infrastructure etc etc in the last decade. Its a ridiculous pipe dream to try and win back voters before the next GE and more about increasing taxes than anything else.

Besides I believe FG are finished in government in the next GE especially if that idiot Leo remains in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Until they come up with a home charging solution for those of us who don't have off street parking then EVs just don't make any sense.

For you. EVs make perfect sense for a significant portion of the population who do have the ability to charge at home or at work.

Perfect is the enemy of good; we don't need to wait for every issue with EVs to be solved before beginning to move. Cannot charge at home yet, EVs are not ready for you yet. Need to drive 500km a day with few breaks, EVs are not ready for you yet. Can only afford a €2k car, EVs are not ready for you yet. Need a 7 seater to haul around the family for €20k, EVs are not ready for you yet. Yet being the operative word there though. But those that can move should be encouraged/pushed.

Even 10%/20% of cars switching to EVs would have a real impact on air quality and these kinds of sales will bring down prices to help the next wave of EV buyers get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Zenith74 wrote: »
    For you. EVs make perfect sense for a significant portion of the population who do have the ability to charge at home or at work.

Perfect is the enemy of good; we don't need to wait for every issue with EVs to be solved before beginning to move. Cannot charge at home yet, EVs are not ready for you yet. Need to drive 500km a day with few breaks, EVs are not ready for you yet. Can only afford a €2k car, EVs are not ready for you yet. Need a 7 seater to haul around the family for €20k, EVs are not ready for you yet. Yet being the operative word there though. But those that can move should be encouraged/pushed.

Even 10%/20% of cars switching to EVs would have a real impact on air quality and these kinds of sales will bring down prices to help the next wave of EV buyers get in.

That's all lovely but the government has stated that all new cars from 2030 must be EV. If they want us all to be in EVs then they MUST provide the infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i would be more impressed with a reduce useage culture , but unfortunataely that doesnt fit with our year on year growth requirements.
    as previous posters have said, massive investment in public transport alternatives is needed, aqs far as i know theres 50 billion in road investment (in the national development plan) and nothing for public transport. not seeing an awful lot of joined up thinking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭KrakityJones

The government were hammered in local elections and Greens reaped the benefits less than a month ago. So typically the knee jerk reactionary government drummed up this climate change document with no costing or proper planning. They threw out a few dates for when they want to have certain measure implemented but its all bull****. Nothing, NOTHING has ever ran on time in this country, every successive government has failed abysmally reaching targets/dates and this is going to be no different.

They cant declare a ban on petrol/diesel cars after 2030 when so far to date they have spent next to zero on charging points, public transport, cycling infrastructure etc etc Its a ridiculous pipe dream to try and win back voters before the next GE.

Wholeheartedly agree with you on this one. FG got a slap in the face from the greens. Don't forget the comments Varadker made after the election results

"The public have sent us a message which is that they want us to accelerate action on climate. It will require changes at individual, community and national level. It won't be easy and won't always be popular but the public support is there for it now"

In other words - ye voted for the greens, no problem I'll lash up taxes and say it's because ye told us ye wanted that for "the environment", because every euro of that will go into green initiatives or public transport.. sure.

Don't get me wrong I actually voted for a green candidate, and I'd love to see something being done, but our current crowd won't do a thing - the only solution we hear time and time again are not that they're going to pump funds into r&d for alternative fuels, or to create a proper charging grid, or address rural public transport issues. No let's up tax - that'll fix things.

So yeah it's exactly that - noise because the greens got votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

They will be outdated tech. Electric car tech is advancing rapidly year on year. The battery and charging tech being the main areas. You can already see this with the fast charge cars out now versus the very first gen EVs.

To me the concept of buy a second hand EV is like buying a second hand mobile phone, the battery will be knackered in both so not worth the money.

You do know that you can upgrade the batteries right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

GreeBo wrote: »

Unlike ICE cars, when they get to about 10 years old , the cost of replacing the battery makes them almost a writeoff. As they get cheaper it will make them worth scrap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You do know that you can upgrade the batteries right ?

Yeah but you buy a new battery for say 7.5k , thats the new floor in car prices, I can currently go out and buy a roadworthy petrol car for 1000 easily. Its going to mean a lot of vehicles scrapped after a decade when its simply not worth it to put a battery in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement