Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Pixel 3a and 3a XL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

moonboy52 wrote: »
    ... and the glass is not Gorilla Glass (some glass tech that there is not much info on it seems) so a Screen protector is probably a must

The glass is Dragontrail, Xiaomi use it on some of their handsets, so do Sony, iirc.

https://www.androidauthority.com/gorilla-glass-comparison-886866/

With a tempered glass screen protector on, I doubt there's any material difference.

Am bitter about that sale price! Must have another go at talking my wife into a 3A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

corwill wrote: »
    The glass is Dragontrail.

Really appreciate the information corwill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

DXOMark have given the 3A's camera a score of 100 - https://www.dxomark.com/google-pixel-3a-camera-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tedcrilly

Hi ...following up on this thread - any updates on how 3a has performed for ye all?
    I missed out on the discount period. Did anyone get a promo code that they are not using by any chance , would be most grateful (PM me ?)
    Thx TC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭micks_address

tedcrilly wrote: »
    Hi ...following up on this thread - any updates on how 3a has performed for ye all?
    I missed out on the discount period. Did anyone get a promo code that they are not using by any chance , would be most grateful (PM me ?)
    Thx TC

i have mine since release day in US and I have no complaints... its relegated my pixel 3xl to hardly any use... ill be selling the 3xl when i get back to dublin mid august.. the xl is faster, has bigger screen, mine is 128gb but honestly ive grown to prefer the 3as size and have had no speed issues at all. I can see myself using a tablet to do web browsing as the 3a screen is a bit small for a lot of that.. but the camera is identical apart from a little slower at hdr processing... nothing that would stop me from using. Its really a sweet spot in terms of performance and value for money..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I'm thinking about getting the 3a or 3a XL to replace my Nokia 7 Plus. I was just wondering is the price difference between the 3a and 3a XL justified? I'm used to devices with 6 inch screens now but the XL in around €90 more on Vodafone so without being able to compare them in the flesh is the XL worth a punt over its smaller brother?

Phat Cat wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting the 3a or 3a XL to replace my Nokia 7 Plus. I was just wondering is the price difference between the 3a and 3a XL justified? I'm used to devices with 6 inch screens now but the XL in around €90 more on Vodafone so without being able to compare them in the flesh is the XL worth a punt over its smaller brother?

only difference is screen size... if you want or are comfortable with the bigger size then 90 euro is small price to pay.. i actually quite like the smaller size of on the 3a.. having used the 3xl for nearly a year it feels like a tablet in comparison.. ill be putting my 3xl up on adverts next week when i get back from the US as i havent used it in 3 months here

I'm going to bite the bullet on the XL but Vodafone only seem to have it on their online store.
    I'm a 3 billpay customer and was wondering will there be any hassle getting it on Vodafone Pay As You Go, then discarding their SIM, and continuing using my 3 SIM?
    I'd obviously prefer to get it in store with no questions asked without giving them all of my details online.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Phat Cat wrote: »
    I'm going to bite the bullet on the XL but Vodafone only seem to have it on their online store.
    I'm a 3 billpay customer and was wondering will there be any hassle getting it on Vodafone Pay As You Go, then discarding their SIM, and continuing using my 3 SIM?
    I'd obviously prefer to get it in store with no questions asked without giving them all of my details online.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Check with a store and if they don't have it in stock ask them to check which stores do

There is €50 off both the Pixal 3a & 3a XL on the Google Store

https://store.google.com/ie/product/pixel_3a

• Advertisement

I must say after owning a 3a XL for two weeks:

Great battery life and 0.7% per hour standby time
    Lovely haptic feedback.
    Good audio from the speakers
    Feels really snappy even with only 4GB of Ram (I only use one app at a time so not a power user)
    Good radios on it. No issues with LTE or Bluetooth.

No Bloat and tons of services running in the background like from other manufacturers ( assuming one does not see Google services and apps as Bloat :P )

The screen whilst OLED, and i believe the panels came from Samsung, is pretty good (Not Premium Samsung amazing. They keep those for their own phones).
    Max brightness is an issue though and slight uniformity.

64GB is pretty tight, but i just have the apps i use daily on it, compared to hoarding data and tons of apps that i rarely used on my Note 4 using MicroSD

But for the €410 i paid, i'm happy with it. Hopefully sales were good and they do a 4a, 5a in the future

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I must say after owning a 3a XL for two weeks:

Great battery life and 0.7% per hour standby time
    Lovely haptic feedback.
    Good audio from the speakers
    Feels really snappy even with only 4GB of Ram (I only use one app at a time so not a power user)
    Good radios on it. No issues with LTE or Bluetooth.

No Bloat and tons of services running in the background like from other manufacturers ( assuming one does not see Google services and apps as Bloat :P )

The screen whilst OLED, and i believe the panels came from Samsung, is pretty good (Not Premium Samsung amazing. They keep those for their own phones).
    Max brightness is an issue though and slight uniformity.

64GB is pretty tight, but i just have the apps i use daily on it, compared to hoarding data and tons of apps that i rarely used on my Note 4 using MicroSD

But for the €410 i paid, i'm happy with it. Hopefully sales were good and they do a 4a, 5a in the future
    I'd say they will be more A phones.. they doubled pixel sales since the release..

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Looking to pick up a free phone to last me a few years and the 3a caught my eye. 40/month with Vodafone. Have fond memories of my nexus 5.

But then I saw Tesco Mobile have the Huawei P20 pro at the same monthly rate. On paper the specs seem much better... Is there a good reason to go with the pixel?

Looking to pick up a free phone to last me a few years and the 3a caught my eye. 40/month with Vodafone. Have fond memories of my nexus 5.

But then I saw Tesco Mobile have the Huawei P20 pro at the same monthly rate. On paper the specs seem much better... Is there a good reason to go with the pixel?
    You are guaranteed 3 years updates of android with the pixel. Huawei are in uncertain waters at the moment. They may dump Android altogether for their own OS. I had a p20 pro and pixel 3xl and now pixel 3a and the 3a is my favorite.. the p20 pro has basically an iOS skin over Android so it's quite like an iPhone experience. I had trouble installing other launchers on it. It's a very nice phone though in terms of screen and camera. You'll get monthly updates from Google for Android whereas p20 will be much slower.. I'd go for the pixel I think but your mileage might vary

And add to to the fact that the Vodafone network is a better network to be on, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Dartz

Pixel 3a XL. Bought from Vodafone on a free upgrade. It's far more phone than I need, and a bit big. I regret buying the big phone. On the other hand it's a good screen, runs quick and the camera hasn't broken yet. The first one I bought arrived with a bad screen but it was replaced quick enough.

It's a good phone and the price is right. And it's utterly bloatware free

Android 10 seems to have enabled DSDS with the onboard eSIM. Tried to find Google as a manufacturer on Vodafone's 'unlock' page and couldn't find them. I don't know if it's locked to VF or not anyway. Was going to use the eSIM for travel rather than get rode on roaming

Dartz wrote: »
    Tried to find Google as a manufacturer on Vodafone's 'unlock' page and couldn't find them.

99% sure it is not locked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Can anyone explain the eSim thing with Android 10?

I need dual sim, am with Eir & a secondary Vodafone sim. Will I be able to insert two sim cards into the Pixel 3A?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the eSim thing with Android 10?

I need dual sim, am with Eir & a secondary Vodafone sim. Will I be able to insert two sim cards into the Pixel 3A?
    Won't work I'm afraid, eSIM is not available in Ireland yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

advertsfox wrote: »
    Won't work I'm afraid, eSIM is not available in Ireland yet.

Apparently Pixel 3A now supports Dual SIM with the advent of Android 10. All I need to know is, are there two physical sim slots in the 3A?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Apparently Pixel 3A now supports Dual SIM with the advent of Android 10. All I need to know is, are there two physical sim slots in the 3A?
    No unfortunately not, we live in a great age where a software update can add a whole new network but it's always physically limited to 1 SIM slot.
    The Pixel 2, 3, and 3A all have a single SIM slot and support for a digital eSIM, but you’ve had to switch between them if you wanted to use both. Now, the Pixel 3A and 3A XL — and the 3A line only, it seems — can use both networks at once.

From the Android settings app, Pixel 3A users will be able to select default networks for sending texts, making calls, and using data. Both SIMs will remain active at once, so you can receive a call on a secondary SIM, even while using the other SIM as the primary data connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

does the 3A have a removable memory slot?

daheff wrote: »
    does the 3A have a removable memory slot?
    No

advertsfox wrote: »
    No unfortunately not, we live in a great age where a software update can add a whole new network but it's always physically limited to 1 SIM slot.

The networks will never support it because it would mean unbundled offers from them, you'd be able to buy your minutes from one network, your data from another etc. You'd no longer be a Vodafone customer, instead you'd be with Apple or Google or whoever and your service provider will be incidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

My s9+ is officially borked. Battery no longer holding charge, and appears to have swollen as the back panel is pushing off and is curving with a few cracks appearing. Coupled with the front screen needing to be replaced (again, and from a very short fall) it's time to cut and run. Think i'll pick up a 3a XL as the size suits me, and it might have a bit of resale value if I decide to go for the 4 when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

21% off the all phones today on the Google Store with the code B-GOOGLE21.

The 3aXL is €379.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Recently purchased the pixel3a but I’m unsure about switching from iPhone 5s, does the pixel 3a triumph the (iPhone) 6s ? Even after doing lots of research I’m still on the fence.

Recently purchased the pixel3a but I’m unsure about switching from iPhone 5s, does the pixel 3a triumph the (iPhone) 6s ? Even after doing lots of research I’m still on the fence.
    Camera on the pixel is like comparing Manchester city to Leeds utd... Pixel is a different class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Your head isn't on the fence your heart is.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »

Your head isn't on the fence your heart is.
    If you're used of apple and iOS that might be the biggest stumbling block

Advertisement