Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2019 - 29/09/19

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Going up Howth wouldn't be the issue I'd say a lot of people would have. It's going down the other side, it's short and sharp and very easy to pick up speed. It would nearly need to be an up and down system on one side but would involve riding on the "wrong side" both ways.

I'd say the people of Howth wouldn't be keen on it, though I bet it would cause not much more hassle than a regular Sunday out there anyway when it's mobbed anyway.

People got caught out by the Angler's rest mostly as they were in far too big a gear as they got to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Maybe have the ascent through the village side so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have entered this event.
    I have just received an email, asking if I want to reserve car parking.
    I do.
    There are four options:
    1) Papal Cross.
    2) Cricket Grounds.
    3) Farmleigh House.
    4) Dog Pond. (I think this at The Citadel?)

I will be travelling from Drogheda, M1, M50.

Which car park will be the handiest for me, please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not much difference between them, in fairness. farmleigh would probably be nearest to where you enter if you're coming from the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Deffo Farmleigh or dog pond...very close to each other and a quick exit back through Castleknock onto M50!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interestingly the pond i thought of when the dog pond was mentioned is not the one listed when i googled it - and the 'dog pond' i know is not one you'd associate with parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

When I was growing up right beside the park we always referred to the enclosed pond on the northern edge beside the castleknock gate as The Dog Pond....I think!

according to google maps, the one just north of the roundabout at the castleknock end is 'machine lake'.
    i remember arguing with someone about whether that one, or the one to the south (with the island in it) was the dog pond or not. long enough ago that i can't quite remember which one i was arguing *was* the dog pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Seems like ticket sales are a bit slow:

It's Fri 13th tomorrow and some may think this is unlucky... but we're here to turn your luck around! ☘️

Tomorrow we are having a FLASH SALE ⚡️
    For 24 HOURS ONLY, get 10% off both the 60km or the 100km using the code FRIDAY13 at checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Got my bike number today but I havent heard anything about parking. Did anyone receive anything ?

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Advertisement

lochdara wrote: »
    Got my bike number today but I havent heard anything about parking. Did anyone receive anything ?

I got my number today.
    Post #34 above refers to parking
    I got my email about car parking on 9th September.
    Go into your original registration on Eventmaster and you can reserve parking.

https://eventmaster.ie/login.html

It says nothing in eventmaster now because parking is closed but I did choose Farmleigh. Does your ammended registration state parking. Just asking in case i didnt save my settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

That pothole outside the gym in clontarf. Why has it not been filled 🀯🀯🀯 bikes of the road for tonight

It says nothing in eventmaster now because parking is closed but I did choose Farmleigh. Does your ammended registration state parking. Just asking in case i didnt save my settings.

No, I've just checked my registration, it doesn't mention parking.

I'm #0012

I only just got emailed a ticket from cycling ireland. lol

Registered for ride 5th August and my number is 1113

I have just got an email from the GDBR (actually from C.I.), with my parking details and asking me to print off my parking permit.

Speak of angels and you'll hear the rustle of their wings.

I'll need those wings when i get up at the crack of dawn to travel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Registered for ride 5th August and my number is 1113
    I registered in April and my number is 0934.

• Advertisement

I registered in April and my number is 0934.

#0012 registered 5th April. Longer route.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    #0012 registered 5th April. Longer route.
    Mine is for the 100k route also. They possibly allocated them alphabetically or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I have just got an email from the GDBR (actually from C.I.), with my parking details and asking me to print off my parking permit.

I registered for parking but haven't received a confirmation email.

Did you receive your email and permit straight after you registered for parking or what?

I only just got the email 20 minutes after asking the same question as you yesterday evening. I registered in august and then took the parking when they emailed me and I got no confirmation at all. Then last night I got my parking ticket came by email from cycling ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

I only just got the email 20 minutes after asking the same question as you yesterday evening. I registered in august and then took the parking when they emailed me and I got no confirmation at all. Then last night I got my parking ticket came by email from cycling ireland

Ha, just checked my email and the parking email from GDBR has arrived. Got my number etc in the post yesterday so I'm good to go!!

Weathers not looking great though :-(

Screenshot201909250748411569394201.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Mine is for the 100k route also. They possibly allocated them alphabetically or something.

I registered a couple of weeks ago and my Surname begins with R and I’m 707.

@WA - I take it you’re riding in and out, I might see you on the ride in at stupid o’clock am...

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

What's the story with picking up the race number? I'm not getting them posted out to me. Like a sap, i never chose that option when ordering.

I have the barcode things from eventmaster on my phone.

Nevermind, i see on FB it's between 12 noon and 8pm on friday and 10am-4pm on Saturday in the Gardai Boat Club in the Phoenix Park.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What's the story with picking up the race number? I'm not getting them posted out to me. Like a sap, i never chose that option when ordering.

I have the barcode things from eventmaster on my phone.
    from http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/event/#
    Number Collection
    Friday 27th September, Garda Boat Club, Dublin
    Times 12pm – 8pm – Sign on and collection of bib numbers

Garda Boat Club, 8 Chapelizod Road, Phoenix Park, Islandbridge, D08 HX39

Saturday 28th September, Garda Boat Club, Dublin
    Times 10am – 4pm – Sign on and collection of bib numbers

Garda Boat Club, 8 Chapelizod Road, Phoenix Park, Islandbridge, D08 HX39

...@WA - I take it you’re riding in and out, I might see you on the ride in at stupid o’clock am...
    It's Mrs WA's birthday so I don't want to be away too long. I'll probably drive to Whitehall Church and ride over from there.

(If you'd like a lift, give me a shout).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'll probably see ye on the road in the opposite direction when I go for my sunday ramble plus coffee. Maybe bring my camera and get some pics.

Advertisement