Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bareknuckle FC

• 05-04-2019 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

The Bareknuckle Fighting Championships have been building up some media awareness recently with the addition of Paulie Malignaggi and tomorrow's fight between two ex UFC's, one being Artem Lobev.

Anyone here have an interest in it as it starts to come more mainstream? And should we expect to see Irish interest given the long history of bare knuckle, going back to John L Sullivan in the states and within the travelling community.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,846 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The Bareknuckle Fighting Championships have been building up some media awareness recently with the addition of Paulie Malignaggi and tomorrow's fight between two ex UFC's, one being Artem Lobev.

Anyone here have an interest in it as it starts to come more mainstream? And should we expect to see Irish interest given the long history of bare knuckle, going back to John L Sullivan in the states and within the travelling community.

People used to fight bareknuckle. Then they stopped doing it. For good reasons.

(I am sure people will point out that the same thing happened with headguards but I don't think the same point can be made. Bareknuckle is a different sport)

I wouldn't have any interest in it personally. Doing it or watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

Yeh I’d watch it...will be interesting to see how the likes of malignaggi who isn’t considered a big puncher fares, the boxing skills without gloves could mean he’s knocking people out,

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Anyway to watch this in the UK ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Anyway to watch this in the UK ireland?

I’d like to watch it too but don’t think it’s on any roi tv sports channel.
    Guess I will just watch it on YouTube in the morning. The Artem Pauly feud this week has been entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I’d like to watch it too but don’t think it’s on any roi tv sports channel.
    Guess I will just watch it on YouTube in the morning. The Artem Pauly feud this week has been entertaining.

The prelims are seemingly free on fb but I couldn't find them.
    So I watched a bit of older stuff on YouTube.
    Hopefully it has improved since the fight I watched. Two fat lads hugging each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

just finished watching the main card. won't give away too much yet but do yourself and favour and watch the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Not much skill on display in the main event but still a hell of a scrap, both guys are as hard as nails.

Just watched it there on YouTube , very entertaining..I think this style of fighting suits some people perfectly, the likes of artem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Hopefully this is nipped in the bud quickly. It is horrible to watch. It is barbaric and frankly you'd find more skill in a tinkers cross road scrap. You're watching washed up fighters who should have retired inflict more severe brain damage on one another. I cannot support that.

The gloves are to protect the fighters hands and prevent cuts not brain damage, if anything it allows the fighter to throw harder consecutive headshots causing more accumulated brain trauma. It’s definitely gruesome enough but I wouldn’t say more dangerous in relation to long term brain injury...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Have to say whilst it was in a way entertaining, it didn't sit right with me. Especially seeing the faces tweeted afterwards. I think Eric Donovan described it fairly how I feel.
    Afterwards, I kind of felt bad for both guys.
    Each to their own, but not for Me, I'll stick with boxing and to a lesser extent, mma.

heno86 wrote: »
    The gloves are to protect the fighters hands and prevent cuts not brain damage, if anything it allows the fighter to throw harder consecutive headshots causing more accumulated brain trauma. It’s definitely gruesome enough but I wouldn’t say more dangerous in relation to long term brain injury...

I don't know man.

Big difference between sparring with 16oz and competition gloves. Now extrapolate that to no gloves. I wouldn't think it is a good thing.

There is an argument that you might take less punches overall because you are getting knocked out quicker but not on the harder shots thing. I am sure that they are still allowed to wrap their hands for bare-knuckle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Same for me, I don't know the science behind it being more or less dangerous than wearing gloves but it just doesn't sit well with me.

Also I saw the guy running the event coming into the ring after a fight and announcing that they were cutting one of the fighters purses and giving it to his opponent because of a perceived lack of action in the fight. That can't be right and seems to say the organisers are trying to create a bit of blood lust to promote the shows

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

It's uncomfortable viewing but it's entertaining in a sick sort of way. I'd probably watch Malignaggi v Artem.

You must not be a fightin man. Let the men be men and fight. I would like to see them allow dirty fights too. Some good fights there now. No tip tap and run around. Real fights for real fightin men.

I like to see them bring in some of Ireland's best fightin men.

Ah sure let them get tooled up then before the fight while you are at it. Choice of stanley knife, baseball bat or pint bottle.

(I can't tell whether you are being sarcastic or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Big Joe's Davy needs to be signed up to this outfit.

Angliru wrote: »
    Hopefully this is nipped in the bud quickly. It is horrible to watch. It is barbaric and frankly you'd find more skill in a tinkers cross road scrap. You're watching washed up fighters who should have retired inflict more severe brain damage on one another. I cannot support that.

Have to agree - it's more the lack of skill that annoys me. There are so many amazing skilled boxers and MMArtists in Ireland that this looks a bit "car park on a bad night" ish to me. Those ridiculous loopy overhand haymaker attempts, zero boxing movement look dreadful.

That being said Artem gave a really good interview here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_sQgQpGr7Q
    Not a fan of Ariel in general - but this is a fair interview and can't not be happy for Artem and appreciate his honesty here. Glad no broken bones.

Not quite buying the "no head trauma here, it's safer with no headgear/no gloves" stchick. Don't believe there are any conclusive studies either way on that, hope its not Joe/Bro Rogan science being spread as gospel... But hope I'm wrong...

I only discovered BKFC today and tbh I did find it very entertaining but that said, surely this won't be allowed continue too long. Two lads knocking the sh!t out of each other inside of a circle coming out mashed to a pulp.

I only discovered BKFC today and tbh I did find it very entertaining but that said, surely this won't be allowed continue too long. Two lads knocking the sh!t out of each inside of a circle coming out mashed to a pulp.

I think it's only regulated in a couple of states right now, but you have to hand it to the guy. I think the last sanctioned fight was in the 1890's and he's brought it back into the mainstream. It is raw and the cuts open real fast, but for many people MMA and boxing are barbaric too.
    Personally, I found it entertaining but not sure I'd have my kids watching it, whereas I never had a concern watching boxing with them.
    It will be interesting to see where it goes. So far it's mainly ex MMA guys but with Paulie involved we may see more boxers. Could be scary to have a couple of tough Mexicans going at it bare knuckle!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'd prefer bare knuckle MMA to be honest. At least the grappling would save your face a fair bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I hear they have to wear gloves to fight in Florida so the Artem v Paulie fight is a scam its a boxing match nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Paul Malignaggi showing his class lately in the press conference for his fight against Artem. Spitting at his opponent, foul mouthed, boasting about how much more money he has than Artem. Says it all about the guy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Paul Malignaggi showing his class lately in the press conference for his fight against Artem. Spitting at his opponent, foul mouthed, boasting about how much more money he has than Artem. Says it all about the guy.

Totally agree and I hate the guy but unfortunately he'll still make a show of Artem.

I hear they have to wear gloves to fight in Florida so the Artem v Paulie fight is a scam its a boxing match nothing more

Really? What size?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Really? What size?

There gloves with the knuckle part missing I kid you not

They look horrible,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Totally agree and I hate the guy but unfortunately he'll still make a show of Artem.

You may well be right, he'll out box him no problem. But whens the last time Pauli had a competitive fight? Few years ago. Also bare knuckle by its nature is bloody. Literally. Malignaggi has a lot of scar tissue above his eyes. It Artem cuts badly him enough it could get stopped.

I think Artem will rough him up. Paulie is going to the local hospital after this one.

Anyone have a link to the gloves they'll be using?
    I tried searching but I just got knuckles gloves from sonic the hedgehog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Randall Bailey added to the Paulie card. Forget he's well pas 40 and washed up to f*ck for a second, Randall Bailey is one of the hardest punchers of all time, he could seriously f*ck someone up with no gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Will this Artem v Paulie fight be aired on TV tonight?

Advertisement