Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car communication/walkie talkie system

Options
  • 02-04-2019 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for recommendations for a good 2 way walkie-talkie type setup between 2 close running vehicles (don't want to go down the DAB radio route). Will be driving across the UK later in the year in 2 cars, for a week, so want to be able to communicate back and forth.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Depending on data etc there's an app called CB talk which would work.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Depending on data etc there's an app called CB talk which would work.

Any idea on how much data it uses? I was originally looking at using whatsapp over a data call, but as we would be driving solidly for at least 2 days, it seemed we would use alot of data (and battery!).

Battery issue is that there is no way of charging the phones in the car, and will have limited charging capabilities over the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I should've clarified that his needs to be a self powered unit. There is no way of powering any base units or anything through the car! (39 & 43 year old cars, no cigarette lighters or anything!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Cars of that age should still have reliable 12v supply and should be simple to temporarily install a cigarette lighter socket to without any hassle or destruction of the car if power was needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

As long as the vehicles have a 12 V power system, it would be possible to use a directly wired voltage device (halfords have them for things like GPS), the only thing that might be an issue is getting the correct connection for the phone. It would not matter if they are generator supplied rather than alternators, (positive earth rather than negative earth that's the standard for alternators) though there may be some issues with generator brush noise, and (possibly) ignition noise from things like points and older spark plugs.

Another option would be to get power banks for the phones so they are not dependent on the internal batteries of the phones. They could then be charged overnight.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, I'd literally have to take the car apart to get to cabling as they have been all moulded behind a solid carbon fibre dash, hence the stand alone option is the preferred option.

In relation to power banks, have 6 already to keep us topped up. We will have no access to power for 5 days, so the power banks needs to last the entire time for 3 phones (1 x 15 year olds iPhone who has her phone charging 2 or 3 times a day!).
    I have been looking at disabling data when not travelling, but that would mean alot of phone features wouldn't work.

I know these are first world problems! I'd used walkie talkies before, but they were extremely unreliable to stay connected due to travelling speeds (I assume).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Would it be worth looking for some flat ribbon cable that could be put through a door opening, (over the rubber seal) and into the engine compartment, a 12 V connection there will be easy, even if it means using crocodile clips on to the battery. The current demand of the sort of device your looking at means it can be supplied by much lighter weight wire than the sort of size wire that would have been used in vehicles of that age, so getting round a door jamb is not likely to be an issue.

Depending on the age, another option is that there is likely to be a 12 V source of power at one side of a roof (interior) light, as they are operated by the switch in the door pillar connecting to ground, so when the ignition is on, the live side of the bulb will have a supply. Wiring to that with something like an eye connector pressed on to the contact by the end of the bulb might be an option, and an earth under a seat bolt head should work. That will not be a problem for the weight of wiring and (if fitted) the fuses of the vehicle.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

You don't need to get at any cabling, just run a simple two wire set up from the battery through to the cabin and attach a cigarette lighter socket like this
    https://www.eurocarparts.com/en_ie/ecpie/p/car-accessories/car-accessories-products/in-car-power/12volt-multi-adapter/?550775000&0&cc5_826

If you can't find a gap into the cabin ( steering column, pedals, heating ducts, glove box etc) run the cables underneath with cable ties and try from the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

CB or PMR446 or (the weakest) LPD433 - all available as handheld devices. They won't require a licence.

• Advertisement

joujoujou wrote: »
    CB or PMR446 or (the weakest) LPD433 - all available as handheld devices. They won't require a licence.

Thanks for that. Interestingly, I have a pair of the Motorola TLKR T60Z Walkie Talkie PMR446, and found even that they were breaking up! I may just need to go down the walkie talkie route!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pair of Baofengs for €20 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've used hand held 2 way radios in cars, PMR here and GMRS in the USA, and unless you can see the other car they are useless. If you get split up then you can easily loose each other as the range is terrible.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I've used hand held 2 way radios in cars, PMR here and GMRS in the USA, and unless you can see the other car they are useless. If you get split up then you can easily loose each other as the range is terrible.

That has been the issue I have had. We would still be driving in close proximity, but it would regularly drop out and next to useless!

antodeco wrote: »
    That has been the issue I have had. We would still be driving in close proximity, but it would regularly drop out and next to useless!

Proper CB radios then, though you could probably get 2 phones in the UK and have constant contact for less money.

The easiest way would be to arrange stops at certain services and ring each other in emergency. I've done motorbikes across France and even after I dropped my bike we all stuck together just with phones.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is it illegal to use hand held radios whilst driving?

I'd use mobiles on Bluetooth.

Absolutely. I wouldnt be holding the devices. Ideally Id like to have something with an "open" channel so I can use a headset. It looks like whatsapp will be the way the go, with my current walkie talkies as backup (will be driving in areas with very little coverage!)

The Grand Tour regularly use hand held radios in the UK.

It is an offence to use a hand held mobile phone or an "interactive communications device", but there is an exemption for a two way radio which is designed or adapted -

for the purpose of transmitting and receiving spoken messages; and
    operates on any frequency other than 880 MHz to 915 MHz, 925 MHz to 960 MHz, 1710 MHz to 1785 MHz, 1805 MHz to 1880 MHz, 1900 MHz to 1980 MHz or 2110 MHz to 2170 MHz.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q659.htm

It's definitely illegal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Some data plans work out at 15/20 pounds for a months worth of data, usually 10 to 20gb. Even if having them running WhatsApp 24 hours a day for 2/3 days solid, wouldn't touch on 1gb of data.

WhatsApp calling allows users to call other WhatsApp users for free. However, a minute of WhatsApp call costs around 0.15 MB to 0.20 MB of 3G data This means a 5-minute call costs around 1MB of 3G data.
    https://www.quora.com/How-much-data-does-a-minute-of-a-WhatsApp-call-consume

So, using WhatsApp solid for 3 straight days would use 864mb of data.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Good to see low data usage for the calls. I'm not majorly concerned about the data usage, it's data connectivity (no signal) and killing the batteries on the phones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I used PMR walkie talkies on a trip to Germany with another car a few years ago. Had it clipped onto the seatbelt at my chest. It worked grand when we were close by, but as Del said, anything else was useless. Too crackly to be heard. I felt badass though :D

Thanks for that. Good to see low data usage for the calls. I'm not majorly concerned about the data usage, it's data connectivity (no signal) and killing the batteries on the phones!

Why do you want to be in constant contact with the other car? I've driven long distances with other vehicles and we never had any issues with no communication between vehicles.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Why do you want to be in constant contact with the other car? I've driven long distances with other vehicles and we never had any issues with no communication between vehicles.

It's more so, that we can be in constant contact. I'll be driving the 39 year old cat and my wife will be driving the 43 year old car. The communication is to make sure we are keeping an eye on each of our cars, and we can swap lead vehicle at different times.

It's more so, that we can be in constant contact. I'll be driving the 39 year old cat and my wife will be driving the 43 year old car. The communication is to make sure we are keeping an eye on each of our cars, and we can swap lead vehicle at different times.

Phones with Bluetooth headset will cover that, you can even get Google or Siri to make the call for complete handsfree. You don't need to be in constant contact to tell the other driver that the car has issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Malmsteen

Why dont you try the Zello PTT app. It basically turns your phone IOs/Android into a radio via the phone cell network.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.loudtalks&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

In the same direction as above...

....the discord app: https://discordapp.com/

Just a free email registration and you can install your own so called server. There you can add a speech channel just for you and your wife. PTT or automatic speech regulated with different filters for sensitivity.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP will be driving abroad and is worried about data.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Malmsteen

Zello app. uses very little Data but if thats a worry the best bet is a pair of Cheap PMR radios there very easy to pick-up and very eazy to use....
    Hope this has helped and safe journey.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. If the data is small, that's ok. I just don't want to be using gigs and gigs of data, and there's a chance I'll be traveling through areas of no coverage. As my wife is driving the 43 year old, and not the best at directions, she will be behind me. I suppose the chances of us getting seperated is extremely low, so could just use the mobile if needed.

Would still love to have an option of a "chat" whenever, especially on an 8 hour drive!

Advertisement