Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Stadia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

2 days with it now and im loving Stadia. Ben mostly playing NBA and it looks and plays fantastic.
    Have my data usage set to the lowest setting on the app and the game still looks great.
    So far im pleased with thr experience which over time im sure will get even better as more features roll out.
    Also the controller is great quality. Only issue is I prefer offset sticks since im use to that with Nintendo Switch. But it feels great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Set up at home today and Destiny 2 was online. Played the opening bit and it was fine. Not sure if aiming was impacted by lag or me being bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Set up at home today and Destiny 2 was online. Played the opening bit and it was fine. Not sure if aiming was impacted by lag or me being bad :)

I'm convinced the 60fps has thrown me right off, or perhaps I'm just so used to overcompensating playing in 30fps. But either way, aiming and general AOD control has been impacted. Saying that I had a blinder in Crucible last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭gmg678

so still no sign of my Stadia, I was able to get my username. I have read of peoples cancelled on them and they told to order the Premier edition. but I think that if it is not shipped today/tomorrow. I am just going to cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

gmg678 wrote: »
    so still no sign of my Stadia, I was able to get my username. I have read of peoples cancelled on them and they told to order the Premier edition. but I think that if it is not shipped today/tomorrow. I am just going to cancel it.

Check the order status to see if you have a cancel option..

I've been trying to cancel my founders pack for the last week. The money is already gone from my account (since launch day) and no sign of it being shipped. Contacted customer service and asked to cancel, they said they cant. Dug up the link for Sales Terms and there is no mention that it cannot be cancelled before shipping, only mentions returns at shipping. They told me to refuse delivery, so i told them not to ship it.. Been waiting on the team it was "escalated" to to get back to me to see if they can cancel it. Seems like delay tactics and i told them that on the customer service chat today, told i'd hear back within 48hrs.. so i'm expecting it to magically be shipped before then..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Eww.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

My premier edition was just dispatched at 12:20pm today.

Paddy_man wrote: »
    Check the order status to see if you have a cancel option..

I've been trying to cancel my founders pack for the last week. The money is already gone from my account (since launch day) and no sign of it being shipped. Contacted customer service and asked to cancel, they said they cant. Dug up the link for Sales Terms and there is no mention that it cannot be cancelled before shipping, only mentions returns at shipping. They told me to refuse delivery, so i told them not to ship it.. Been waiting on the team it was "escalated" to to get back to me to see if they can cancel it. Seems like delay tactics and i told them that on the customer service chat today, told i'd hear back within 48hrs.. so i'm expecting it to magically be shipped before then..

I was on to support last week and there was agent who emailed and said if not updated by today to reply to this email. so i replied earlier saying if not shipped by end of tomorrow I want to cancel it. So i will see how that goes.
    did you get access to get your username?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I think it has the potential to be great. But currently I'm not convinced and think it needs more work. I was previously one click away from purchasing one, now I'm glad I've waited. I'll still
    Keep an eye though.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 seamagu

I'm finding it pretty good.

I travel a bit with work, brought the google stadia controller with me this time and I'm playing console type games in another country. Its pretty cool I think so I'm happy with it.

• Advertisement

I was on to support last week and there was agent who emailed and said if not updated by today to reply to this email. so i replied earlier saying if not shipped by end of tomorrow I want to cancel it. So i will see how that goes.
    did you get access to get your username?

Got the email to pick my username on Friday, so i thought it must be shipped as that said that emails will be sent when the item ships, so i've chosen my username.. if they say I can't cancel cause of that, well, at least I have my username for the future and i have a 4K Chromecast to watch 4K Netflix.. until they bring down the cost of the games and bring up the quality, they wont be getting any more of my money...

so after a tiresome phone call today and me starting to snap at them. here is what is happening:

They haven't a clue what they are doing.
    They can't understand how i have my access but no controller.
    I can't cancel because the controller is in processing, (WTF does that mean)
    i can refuse delivery and after the receive it back it will take 1-4 business days(so about a month) to get my money back .
    I was told today that i would get an update every so often when the agent has an update.

At this stage I am going to just get it and F**k it into a draw and just keep the chomecast.

Google will need to do something major in order to keep people.

This has piqued my interest solely in regards to playing some games while not at home.

Stadia isn't available where I live but there is very fast internet within the country. Has anyone tried MoonLight? On Thursday and Friday, I have around two and half hours doing nothing at work and have been playing some small games on my little laptop. Wondering if it's worth trying leaving my gaming laptop on playing some bigger games like Red Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

People may think the pricing is off and I agree, but I've said it before in this thread!
    They are new games to a new platform, they will be priced as new by the devs, just like when they made ports for Switch.

If no one buys them, the price will drop until it's acceptable.

I saw AC Odyssey in the Uplay store last week. Complete edition for €27.
    Same thing in Stadia was €50.

There's not a hope I'm paying double the price for it.

One of the reasons that I have all platforms, is that I can buy a game where the best experience is, but another bigger difference is that I'll buy where cheapest.

If Google can't get early adopters to open their wallets, then the pricing will drop. Don't feel like you owe them anything, just because you were interested to see how this thing would manifest.

I bought Tomb Raider CE for €10 on Stadia.
    I hadn't a fúcking clue what was happening in the Samurai game and Destiny types games aren't my thing, even though I went through the prologue.
    I bought TR to have something to play and it was only €10.
    I'm a nice bit through the game and don't regret spending a tenner, but I haven't seen a single other game in the store that I'm willing to spend money on!

I'm just going to end that here as I don't really know what my point is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

What's your fear here?
    That your games will be lost?
    What if Sony/MS/Nintendo/Steam/EA/Ubisoft/CDP/Epic went bust in the morning?
    You think your digital goods on those platforms are safe?
    There's no difference with Google, except maybe they'll do it a little quicker? :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    What's your fear here?
    There's no difference with Google, except maybe they'll do it a little quicker? :D

The difference is pretty massive. All Steam games will work for as long as Steam survives, and they've said they'd solve the issue of offline play and people maintaining their ownership if they ever went bust. Stadia requires that they choose to run those games on hardware long after they've been released.

Fact is that those services you listed are either a company's main business, or a major part of it, like Microsoft and Sony. Google needs no revenue from Stadia to survive. It is not a gaming company. It does not have links with all developers like Sony or Microsoft after generations of consoles.

I would trust Stadia's model more if it were ran by a company focused on games. Microsoft's I believe will let you play like Stadia but also own it on your PC.

Edit: My most recent email from Google:

STHWyKN.png

I think web developers have more wariness than most. I've used that before and thankfully don't rely on it. It may be replaced by something else but that means work. I'm tired of worrying about Google just stopping stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

What's your fear here?

Sorry, that's just plain wrong - there is a world of difference in the fact you don't even own hardware capable of running the games. By you I don't mean YOU specifically, I mean the Stadia customer. The moment Google or the publisher decide a game is done, there isn't any option for the customer to keep it - even if somehow you managed to get the binaries, it's pretty guaranteed you won't be able to get a Stadia "server" or whatever to run it.

You can run Steam games in offline mode, you have the files. But there IS a degree of risk there.

In the case of PS4 and Xbox one, you can just buy the game on a disc, with the console disconnected it will work. Some Windows games still have the option of physical copies.

If gaming is moved to the "cloud", there will be nothing of the sort. A game will only exist as long as the company making it wants it to run. Version 2 comes out? Shut down the first version so people either buy the new one or don't play. It's not just a matter of "what if Stadia goes bust / Google closes it?". Specific games WILL BE discontinued and made impossible to play once they're considered "outdated".

Music and movies still exist in "physical" formats, even if they mostly stream. The reason is simple - any TV or CD/DVD player is able to play them at a very little cost.

The big issue with gaming "on the cloud" is not the removal of the software from the final customer, is the removal of the hardware which will make said customer entirely dependent on the platform. In time and specifically for gaming, the "game on anything" approach has a high chance of reducing the general quality and complexity of games to that of mobile games (read: adapting to the minimum common denominator). It will become soon clear they can make more money by dropping the requirement for the controller...

The difference is pretty massive. All Steam games will work for as long as Steam survives, and they've said they'd solve the issue of offline play and people maintaining their ownership if they ever went bust. Stadia requires that they choose to run those games on hardware long after they've been released.

Fact is that those services you listed are either a company's main business, or a major part of it, like Microsoft and Sony. Google needs no revenue from Stadia to survive. It is not a gaming company. It does not have links with all developers like Sony or Microsoft after generations of consoles.

I would trust Stadia's model more if it were ran by a company focused on games. Microsoft's I believe will let you play like Stadia but also own it on your PC.

Edit: My most recent email from Google:

STHWyKN.png

I think web developers have more wariness than most. I've used that before and thankfully don't rely on it. It may be replaced by something else but that means work. I'm tired of worrying about Google just stopping stuff.

I'd tend to agree with your assessment ABG. But sometimes a company not needing revenue from a department to stay afloat can be a good thing. MS pumped tonnes of money into Xbox one this gen in order to bring it back to life, after a botched launch message led to twitter kids having a meltdown :D

At the same time there's absolutely nothing to say that if Stadia were to get the plug pulled after 3 years, that Google wouldn't give you access to the games you bought through another platform at the time.
    Like when UltraViolet decided to shut down and even though I only had 3 movies on the service, I got to migrate those 3 movies to Google Play!

Also, Google has founded a gaming studio. That might help keep Stadia alive for the medium term :)

MS streaming is just phone/tablet at the moment.
    They have promised to bring it to PC, but I'd say that's 6 months away yet :)

As for Google killing products the whole time, that's the risk in this space.
    Cloud gaming is the future, and Amazon are knocking on the door too. If Google end "project stream", there's another coming to take it's place. I'm aware that my purchases are subject to the services continuous existence. It might not be fair to users who aren't aware of this, I agree :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Sorry, that's just plain wrong - there is a world of difference in the fact you don't even own hardware capable of running the games. By you I don't mean YOU specifically, I mean the Stadia customer. The moment Google or the publisher decide a game is done, there isn't any option for the customer to keep it - even if somehow you managed to get the binaries, it's pretty guaranteed you won't be able to get a Stadia "server" or whatever to run it.

You can run Steam games in offline mode, you have the files. But there IS a degree of risk there.

In the case of PS4 and Xbox one, you can just buy the game on a disc, with the console disconnected it will work. Some Windows games still have the option of physical copies.

If gaming is moved to the "cloud", there will be nothing of the sort. A game will only exist as long as the company making it wants it to run. Version 2 comes out? Shut down the first version so people either buy the new one or don't play. It's not just a matter of "what if Stadia goes bust / Google closes it?". Specific games WILL BE discontinued and made impossible to play once they're considered "outdated".

Music and movies still exist in "physical" formats, even if they mostly stream. The reason is simple - any TV or CD/DVD player is able to play them at a very little cost.

The big issue with gaming "on the cloud" is not the removal of the software from the final customer, is the removal of the hardware which will make said customer entirely dependent on the platform. In time and specifically for gaming, the "game on anything" approach has a high chance of reducing the general quality and complexity of games to that of mobile games (read: adapting to the minimum common denominator). It will become soon clear they can make more money by dropping the requirement for the controller...

Steam can do the same. The only way around it on Steam would be to have every game in your library downloaded on to your PC which absolutely nobody does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Thinking of taking the plunge on this. Play it for a year until the next Gen Xbox comes along.

Anybody try to Football manager game yet ? Haven't played the game in a good few years but it's fairly tempting to get stadia just for it ?

9.99 a month plus price of game to play on Chromebook is definitely cheaper than 900+ to get a PC that will run it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

piplip87 wrote: »
    Thinking of taking the plunge on this. Play it for a year until the next Gen Xbox comes along.

Anybody try to Football manager game yet ? Haven't played the game in a good few years but it's fairly tempting to get stadia just for it ?

9.99 a month plus price of game to play on Chromebook is definitely cheaper than 900+ to get a PC that will run it

You could always just wait until it is fully launched. Then the tenner a month fee will only be for 4K.

H3llR4iser, I think I got to most of your points in my reply to ABG, but apologies if I miss something :)

Just one thing though, in all those companies, I was talking about digital goods. Not a disc version. There's a good think piece on Inside Gaming from a few months back about how we as consumers shouldn't buy into the idea that digital goods are subject to non ownership should a company pull the plug. But that's getting more into consumer law than I'd know anything about!

Regarding the race to the bottom to become profitable. Let's hope consumers don't let that happen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What's your fear here?

Well yeah. I have them physically downloaded to a machine and can continue to download the games I paid for even after they've been delisted. Hell I still have my Xbox 360 hooked up to the TV to play OutRun Online Arcade and Afterburner Climax.

If games get delisted on Stadia, they're gone.

so after a tiresome phone call today and me starting to snap at them. here is what is happening:

They haven't a clue what they are doing.
    They can't understand how i have my access but no controller.
    I can't cancel because the controller is in processing, (WTF does that mean)
    i can refuse delivery and after the receive it back it will take 1-4 business days(so about a month) to get my money back .
    I was told today that i would get an update every so often when the agent has an update.

At this stage I am going to just get it and F**k it into a draw and just keep the chomecast.

Google will need to do something major in order to keep people.

I got on to customer service chat again today and got the chat version of being hung up on because i asked them to tell me "exactly how is my query being dealt with" when he said that they have already escalated it to the Specialist team... I copied the transcript of the chat session, got back onto them and asked to be contacted by a supervisor... will only contact me by email, within 24 hrs.. I like Google, but jaysus they have shocking support and have no clue whats going on.. Cant contact the so called "specialist team" or have them contact me either... order due tomorrow or thursday if the store is to be believed so they are fobbing me off until its delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

What's your fear here?

Sony/MS/Nintendo/Steam/ have been around for years without any problems regarding digital downloads and some like Steam have plans in place if the worst were to happen.

Google on the other hand have a long history of killing off product lines so yeah it is something to seriously take into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Steam can do the same. The only way around it on Steam would be to have every game in your library downloaded on to your PC which absolutely nobody does.

Nope, the comparison is apples to oranges - if you have a Steam game and don't download it, it's basically your fault when it gets taken offline and you lose it. You have a choice - and once it's on your system, you can play it no matter what.

If you don't have the hardware, no choice to download / keep the game and no way to run it...well it is your fault still for falling for such a predatorial sales model.

Just one thing though, in all those companies, I was talking about digital goods. Not a disc version. There's a good think piece on Inside Gaming from a few months back about how we as consumers shouldn't buy into the idea that digital goods are subject to non ownership should a company pull the plug. But that's getting more into consumer law than I'd know anything about!

Customers are ALLOWING this to happen by paying for Stadia and/or other services that might pop up in the future. And again, this is NOT about the provider "shutting down the service", this will be about the game publisher deciding a game is not profitable anymore and removing it from Stadia.

The first example I can think of will be with EA and their yearly products - Fifa, NBA Live and so on. New game comes out, kill the old one - this will be financially motivated by the fact it's not just about providing a download, which is very inexpensive, but about maintaining an infrastructure to run the games and allow remote play, which is VERY expensive in comparison. You wanna sell Fifa 21? What better way to say "on August 31st 2020, Fifa 20 will shut down!".
    Regarding the race to the bottom to become profitable. Let's hope consumers don't let that happen :D

Wait until mobile-style games make it on Stadia and start destroying "traditional" games in terms of revenue. Wait for gaming companies to start dumbing down games so that they can be enjoyed in 5 minutes blocks from a touchscreen and they see the revenue grow. The public will 100% allow the race to the bottom to happen, for every "traditional" game like you and I, there are 10000 Candy Crush "players".

Nope, the comparison is apples to oranges - if you have a Steam game and don't download it, it's basically your fault when it gets taken offline and you lose it. You have a choice - and once it's on your system, you can play it no matter what.

If you don't have the hardware, no choice to download / keep the game and no way to run it...well it is your fault still for falling for such a predatorial sales model.

The vast, vast, vast majority of Steam's users don't download all their games. So, the same thing could happen to them.
    Customers are ALLOWING this to happen by paying for Stadia and/or other services that might pop up in the future. And again, this is NOT about the provider "shutting down the service", this will be about the game publisher deciding a game is not profitable anymore and removing it from Stadia.

The first example I can think of will be with EA and their yearly products - Fifa, NBA Live and so on. New game comes out, kill the old one - this will be financially motivated by the fact it's not just about providing a download, which is very inexpensive, but about maintaining an infrastructure to run the games and allow remote play, which is VERY expensive in comparison. You wanna sell Fifa 21? What better way to say "on August 31st 2020, Fifa 20 will shut down!".

It's also a damn good way to put people off buying FIFA 21 as well.
    Wait until mobile-style games make it on Stadia and start destroying "traditional" games in terms of revenue. Wait for gaming companies to start dumbing down games so that they can be enjoyed in 5 minutes blocks from a touchscreen and they see the revenue grow. The public will 100% allow the race to the bottom to happen, for every "traditional" game like you and I, there are 10000 Candy Crush "players".

Why would something like that e.g. Candy Crush go on Stadia? It doesn't need to be streamed as most low end devices can play it any way. Also, this isn't anything unique to Stadia. The same thing was said about smart phone gaming when it started getting big a good few years back. Lots of people said it was going to kill traditional games. It didn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The vast, vast, vast majority of Steam's users don't download all their games. So, the same thing could happen to them.
    Except Steam would tell you in advance and you'd have an option; if Stadia gets shut down you'll have nothing.
    Why would something like that e.g. Candy Crush go on Stadia? It doesn't need to be streamed as most low end devices can play it any way. Also, this isn't anything unique to Stadia. The same thing was said about smart phone gaming when it started getting big a good few years back. Lots of people said it was going to kill traditional games. It didn't.
    Why hello there Thumper.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Except Steam would tell you in advance and you'd have an option; if Stadia gets shut down you'll have nothing.

They might, they might not. Sometimes it won't even matter. Look at Battleborn. It was just announced today that they are shutting it down in 2021. The single player part of the game requires online so that will no longer work either.

Even games on Steam that require another launcher will have problems. E.g. Any Uplay game. If Ubisoft go under it won't matter that someone bought those games on Steam, they will still not be able to play them if the Ubisoft servers go down.
    Nody wrote: »
    Why hello there Thumper.

I'm not sure what this is trying to prove.

Advertisement