Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For Eir at least IPTV and "internet" are both on 10 so it doesn't provide a QOS function. The CPE does that itself. SIP could be tagged uniquely but I haven't seen any signs of that.

The resource allocation by the OLT is per the GPON spec and nothing to do with 11q/other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Marlow wrote: »
    The reason, they use Vlan tagging (and this applies both to VDSL/FTTC, FTTH on OpenEIR and FTTH on SIRO), is that you can have dedicated VLans for other services like VoIP and TV.

When the provider takes the option for the additonal Vlan for VoIP for example, then the VoIP Vlans isn't throttled to package speed and works, even when the internet connection is fully loaded.

If the provider chooses to run VoIP in-band, then it's considered best effort.

That's the reason for Vlan tagging on modern broadband circuits.

/M

Yes on the providers side. Not domestically though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Marlow wrote: »
    The reason, they use Vlan tagging (and this applies both to VDSL/FTTC, FTTH on OpenEIR and FTTH on SIRO), is that you can have dedicated VLans for other services like VoIP and TV.

When the provider takes the option for the additonal Vlan for VoIP for example, then the VoIP Vlans isn't throttled to package speed and works, even when the internet connection is fully loaded.

If the provider chooses to run VoIP in-band, then it's considered best effort.

That's the reason for Vlan tagging on modern broadband circuits.

/M

That’s not true actually, for residential services all types of traffic (internet, VOIP, IPTV) come in on VLAN 10. The QoS is based on the class of service bits within the vlan header and there are multiple ways the OLT can manage that which I won’t go into the detail here.

In basic terms there are 3 class of service, 0,2 & 4 which carry internet, iptv and voip respectively. Each one can have a committed and peak rate and traffic can pass or drop depending on the specific QoS detail. There are multiple ways to handle that though and a few references available online on how it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

digiman wrote: »
    That’s not true actually, for residential services all types of traffic (internet, VOIP, IPTV) come in on VLAN 10. The QoS is based on the class of service bits within the vlan header and there are multiple ways the OLT can manage that which I won’t go into the detail here.

In basic terms there are 3 class of service, 0,2 & 4 which carry internet, iptv and voip respectively. Each one can have a committed and peak rate and traffic can pass or drop depending on the specific QoS detail. There are multiple ways to handle that though and a few references available online on how it can be done.
    Is there a moderator reading this?

dollylama wrote: »
    This is interesting

Does this mean the "throttle" is set within the ONT on the wall... as in 2.5 Gbps is always available operator end of the ONT but the ONT restricts the user end (on the Internet vlan) to 150, 300 or whatever Mbps?

As someone else said it is restricted on the OLT at the exchange.

• Advertisement

garroff wrote: »

What do you mean?

garroff wrote: »

No moderation in BB/Nets for the guts of a year. CMods were informed (If you're reading you had your responsible disclosure time).

• garroff wrote: »
    If you have any issues with a post, then please report the post and a moderator will investigate it.
    press the report.gif icon under the poster's name to report the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ Dominique Loud Waistband

If you have any issues with a post, then please report the post and a moderator will investigate it.
    press the https://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/custom/beta2/buttons/report.gif icon to report the post.

I fail to see any issue with the post though. digiman knows his stuff in this area.

• I fail to see any issue with the post though. digiman knows his stuff in this area.
    True, I don't see any issues either.
    Just wondering why the poster queried moderation.

• Advertisement

True, I don't see any issues either.
    Just wondering why the poster queried moderation.

Perhaps we're both misinterpreting the post.

press the report.gif icon under the poster's name to report the post.

Thats the idea anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jaydev

Can anybody on here confirm which company is in control of installing fibre splice boxes on the fibre trunk from the cabinet?
    My house has been skipped and houses further away are up and running with FTTH on the same trunk, but mine is not available (on the system) presumably because I have no splice box (hence no DP number) near enough to allow the KN guys to install. The pole with the first splice-box in the run is 5 poles past my house.

I can't find any information about how to escalate this - anybody have a clue or can PM me that would be awesome.

Cheers, Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

If youre on efibre you probably wont get ftth is your house on fibrerollout.ie?

If not, youre screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jaydev

If youre on efibre you probably wont get ftth is your house on fibrerollout.ie?

If not, youre screwed

Yes I'm there on fibrerollout.ie - it's just that the splice box hasn't been installed - seems like they either completely forgot, intentionally ignored the 18/19 or so houses right across the road from the cabinet or there's been another miscommunication.

The folks 5 poles down (further from the cabinet on same road) have it installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

KN in Borrisoleigh running fibre through the ducts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

jaydev wrote: »
    Can anybody on here confirm which company is in control of installing fibre splice boxes on the fibre trunk from the cabinet?
    My house has been skipped and houses further away are up and running with FTTH on the same trunk, but mine is not available (on the system) presumably because I have no splice box (hence no DP number) near enough to allow the KN guys to install. The pole with the first splice-box in the run is 5 poles past my house.

I can't find any information about how to escalate this - anybody have a clue or can PM me that would be awesome.

Cheers, Jay

Don't know if this is any help but maybe contact Openeir & explain what's happening. Here's an email address
    fibrepower@openeir.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭banjopeter

After 5 years DCCAE have released a redacted version of the NBP Mk I.
    It was a 100% wireless solution. (From Ireland Offline) See it here as PDF:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/odq70hq6m3tqflu/REDACTED_Analysys%20Mason%20report%20for%20DCENR%20-%20NGB%20options%20analysis%20%28updated%29%20copy.pdf?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes I'm there on fibrerollout.ie - it's just that the splice box hasn't been installed - seems like they either completely forgot, intentionally ignored the 18/19 or so houses right across the road from the cabinet or there's been another miscommunication.

The folks 5 poles down (further from the cabinet on same road) have it installed.

A green fibre cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Gooser14 wrote: »
    I have noticed contractors clearing ducting on the road out of Newport (Tipperary) towards Rockvale Cemetery & Ahane Cross in preperation for laying Eir fibre. The roll out map shows it is scheduled to go live in the area by mid 2018.

Tree trimming carried out today between Ahane Cross and Castlewaller/Cully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Tree trimming carried out today between Ahane Cross and Castlewaller/Cully.

Saw them last week on the road to Rearcross.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A green fibre cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭dollylama

banjopeter wrote: »
    After 5 years DCCAE have released a redacted version of the NBP Mk I.
    It was a 100% wireless solution. (From Ireland Offline) See it here as PDF:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/odq70hq6m3tqflu/REDACTED_Analysys%20Mason%20report%20for%20DCENR%20-%20NGB%20options%20analysis%20%28updated%29%20copy.pdf?dl=0

Christ... Analysys Mason. The same Analysys Mason who presided over the NBS back in the day

What's with our fetish for handing state contracts to shyster consultancy / outsourcing firms from the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Only getting to mess around this now. Getting 92mbps plugged in on a 300 package, would my laptop be restricting the speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Only getting to mess around this now. Getting 92mbps plugged in on a 300 package, would my laptop be restricting the speed?

Possibly - whats the model?

HP PAVILION i5 2.6ghz 8gb
    Windows 10

HP PAVILION i5 2.6ghz 8gb
    Windows 10

Model number? From what I can find in that broad range of laptops its only 10/100

fritzelly wrote: »
    Model number? From what I can find in that broad range of laptops its only 10/100

15 P189sa

15 P189sa

Sounds very like 100Mb network card but to be sure, click the bottom left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu. Expand network adapters and post the model of network card you have.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement