Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Gravel Routes (Check out my Gravel Tips)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I wonder could a reworking of the Occupier's liability act allow open access.

That is to give recreational users of land as much and no more legal rights than a trespasser currently has.

We need to do something, gravel paths interwined with our boreen network is as good as cycling gets here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've emailed a link and text from David's post to my local carfree cycling-enthusiast green party councillor, asking him to bring it up the chain. Seems totally at odds with promotion of cycling, Greenways and so on, let alone the potential for tourism e.g rift race in Iceland, raidersgravel in Scotland etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭nilhg

I was only reading the other day Heather Humphries extolling the benefits of the Governments strategic partnership with Coillte for outdoor recreation and announcing similar with Bord Na Mona,

Really the only way to get stuff like this sorted is pressure on politicians, they hold the purse strings, there are local, European and Dail elections coming over the near and medium term, everyone will be in election mode, make your voice heard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

https://www.coillte.ie/our-forests/explore/

3000km of way marked walking trails, and 6 MTB centres 😭.

In reality the rule doesn't matter a sh1te to users of woods, there is zero policing of it and I'd imagine Coilte could care less about lads on gravel bikes.

The problem is it inhibits the growth of cycling from a tourism point of view. People should be able to share routes without risk whether they are in a business or not.

It has never effected where I ride but I'm semi cautious about sharing routes publicly.

We have this fantastic resource which can only be used on the quite but we can't market it because Coillte are afraid they'll be sued if riders get hurt/or hurt somebody.

• Advertisement

The more you think about it, the more absurd it seems. There is literally nothing required other than deleting a line or a few words from some bylaws. The gravel trails already exist throughout the coillte network for logging anyway. Unlike the 6 "world class (?)" MTB centres which required building and upkeep.

In true Irish style you could make a walking book and just bring your bike for a walk I guess

The same cnuts allow deer shooting on their land with zero policing of how members of the public are safeguarded other than instructing shooters to erect signs.

Oh I like that, "no no no I'm not cycling, I'm hike-a-biking, keep up damnit"

n reality the rule doesn't matter a sh1te to users of woods, there is zero policing of it and I'd imagine Coilte could care less about lads on gravel bikes.

The problem is it inhibits the growth of cycling from a tourism point of view. People should be able to share routes without risk whether they are in a business or not.

It has never effected where I ride but I'm semi cautious about sharing routes publicly.

All this. I've always thought the duty of care towards 3rd parties being on your property is way too skewed away from personal responsibility and is a driver of the "compo culture". A colleague of mine regularly has the MTB out in Coillte woods (which will remain nameless) with unofficial trails. Self same woods would be superb for gravel riding and looking at the Komoot feed of a certain former Irish pro turned presenter has been used for just that.

Allowing promotion of it as an activity could provide a mini greenway type effect and support small local businesses in otherwise remote and marginal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Do you mean on Coillte/Public land or private lands?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The only time I've had access issues, is the signs for hunting. Which I'm ambivalent about, given Sika are non-native and the sheer population of them. I think the signs are fine.

It's a real pity that this growing area of the sport isn't being exploited more, for whatever legal issues. It's not just Coillte, our National Parks have the same no cycling rules too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Same issues MTB'ers have had for decades, not allowed on Coillte lands and certainly not on national parks either and that won't change..

Coillte has constructed a number of trail centres so that's where they expect all MTB users to go.

Coillte in this case. Not 100% sure if it's owned or leased though

Follow up from Dave Flanagan

"Hi All.

Just to follow up on the previous discussion re Coillte and Gravel Cycling.

Firstly, a certain cycling TD and I are having a meeting with the Coillte head of recreation later in the week to discuss the subject. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Secondly, Coillte are running a round of public consultations this week. So it's a great chance to go along and make your thoughts on their attitude to gravel riding heard.

https://www.coillte.ie/.../consulta.../current-consultation/

You can also send an email to info@coillte.ie. I think the best angle to take is that we should be pushing for them to permit cycling on forest roads unless there is a specific reason not to.

In the comments Flanagan is 100% this is a fight that should be lead by Cycling Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

My impression of Cycling Ireland is that if it’s not racing or collecting insurance money from sportives then they are not interested. I can’t see them chasing this up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AlecSkid3

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing all your tips, not easy to find gravel routes around Ireland.

For those who live in Co. Cork, you can ride gravel in the Boggerah Mountains range and wind farm starting from Bweeng - I called Coilte who confirmed these could be ridden (pics attached).

You can also ride gravel on the fire roads between the MTB trails in Ballyhoura, there are no signs though so make sure you use a GPS.

I'm new to Boards so I can't post any links, routes are available here: https:// gravelmap . com/user/49453-alecskid3

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

Deleted due to stupidity 😞

Post edited by cletus on

Dave Flanagan update

Hi, I thought it might be useful to give an update on the Coillte situation.

We had a productive meeting with Coillte a few weeks ago. It seems that the crux of the issue is insurance. The Occupiers' Liability Act was discussed, and since our meeting this law has been updated. The updated act now places a lot more responsibility on the recreational user. This is very significant, the timing is excellent.

We hope to hear back from Coillte once they have had time to digest these changes and the positive impact they may have on the situation.

After my last post a few people were in touch saying that they had passed it on to political contacts of theirs. For some reason I can't find these messages, so if anyone with contacts with any politicians could get in touch that would be great. Ultimately these changes will only come about due to pressure from the top down.

Fingers crossed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Folks, any links to strave gravel routes in the Dublin and or Wicklow mountains?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The guys who run biking.ie have set up a chipped and timed gravel series. First event is this year in Wicklow and another in slieve blooms. Popped up in my feed earlier today. No idea of cost. They seem to be trying to make a whole weekend of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Your lunch will be earned anywhere near Glenmalure on a gravel bike 😉

€60 early bird, €70 standard. No mention of camping options that I can see (which I thought would go hand in hand with night time events too).

http://gravelrideseries.ie/about/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Thud

it doesn't give a date? or am I missing it somewhere.

is it a race or a sportive?

Stickybottle referred to it as racing:

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/new-irish-gravel-series-launched-wicklow-and-slieve-blooms-events/

No dates yet - I assume it'll be like the lakelander, timed and a race if you want it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Peeling1979

Same as…I’d be on it as a bikepacking / event trip - can’t get to Galway for the Gravel Grinder due to a christening so I was really hoping to do something for this one….perhaps it’ll be updated, looks in the early stages of planning ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Jimbo789

are these events happening this year or is there any confirmed dates?

No dates that I've seen yet anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Corbra

It seems the GRS was postponed or cancelled? I guess nobody knows. I'm interested in discovering gravel trails in the Sliabh Blooms if anyone has any they can post here that would be great!

Advertisement