Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Gravel Routes (Check out my Gravel Tips)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

That's pretty much any spin with Alek.

That's some undeserved praise... I'm no good in rough stuff I'm afraid ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Weepsie wrote: »
    They do have dogs though.

Coming down the dirt road at the Hellfire club today a large black poodle yoke decided it was going to give chase, nip at my ankles and generally be a pest. I heard a timid "Be nice timmy" or some such from the owner which was rather drowned out by my bellowing "GET THE F**K OUT IT, DAWG!" while coming to a full stop. Seemed to have the desired effect :)

I find nine out of ten dogs off the lead in the off-road environment seem absolutely fine with bikes, but there is always that one. Had one minor bite earlier in the year which luckily didn't break the skin and I'm damned if I'm getting another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30294547

Since no other fcuker adds routes said I throw one up.

8km of Blueway, including 2 lovely stone arch bridges( 2 mile and Kilsheelan), 40km of "roads"(grass up the middle, zombie tarmac etc) and the rest very lumpy forest road. About 500m of East Munster Way west of Newcastle is probably only walkable

Did a lot of it yesterday and have ridden it all, and its as nice a place to ride a bike as I've been.

If I can do the full ride it next few days I'll give Mayo a go

Anyone thinking of giving this stuff a go out of Dublin, it is actually very easy to get down on the train. 8 am out of Heuston will have you on the bike in Clonmel at 10.40. 17.15 back in Dublin for 20.00.

You probably wouldn't manage the full route posted here but I did a very pleasant 80k on quiet roads and the superb blueway easily in this time yesterday stopping to read anything remotely interesting.

Will definitely be back. The potential of the Comeraghs and Knockmealdowns (and presumably Galtees too) for this kind of stuff is great. All doable by train.

Large bottle small glass, there seemed to be a route up the gap from Nile lakes car park, any idea if its ridable? Also there was a quite obvious trail along the other side of the Comeraghs, looking to the right on the road down to Rathgormack, that went up to the eastern ridge of the mountains. Do you know if its rideable? thinking of heading down again and exploring

From looking at irishtrails its probably around lough moolra or rathbeg loop, or maybe boolas loop?

In fact the more I think about it the more the irishrails routes might be a very fertile source of gravel biking routes. Seemed to be one or two out of clogheen that looked doable too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Trail from Nire Lakes layby to Gap isn't bikeable, unless your very good AM rider coming down the way!!

I've put together a 200km route which was intended to follow East Munster way and Tipp Heritage way but a lot of it wasn't rideable but there was good off road alternatives.

Knockmealdowns on both sides is pretty epic. Newcastle to Vee, Vee descent on south, Mount Mellary, river trails and forest roads on south eastern edge are all brilliant.

Currently Clonmel based give me a PM if you need a route after 21st.

Currently in France riding lots of off road. Its brilliant, the options being endless

Currently in France riding lots of off road. Its brilliant, the options being endless

Looks awesome, time to plot an excuse for a solo venture out that way, VTT and GRs is what we desperately need in this country.

Was very taken with the woodland paths around Cong on a recent venture to Mayo and would be very tempted to head back down. Problem I find with Ireland is there has been no concerted effort to link up all the Coilte tracks and largely abandoned l-roads into extended routes. Even around Wicklow, a few tens of meters cleared here and there could make for some fantastic extended routes. Connecting the top of St Kevins way to Glenmacnass carpark would be brilliant. Nothing major, just a bit of single track would work fine. Same is true for so many of the Coilte tracks which as semi-states could easily become gravel bike infrastructure.

That looks class enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭JMcL

Sweet. Was down around Nantes myself a month ago and there were heaps of trails like that through vines, orchards, nut growing "orchards" (no idea what these are called), riverbanks etc. linked together by short stretches of quiet roads. I was able to go 2-3 hours rarely seeing a car

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, France is great for having a lot of their land not fenced in. Spent two weeks there recently and got a lot of trails in on my gravel bike. A mixture of quiet roads, vineyards and forest paths. Even crossed a really great disused railway bridge at one spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Pre ride nutrition French style

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I was stopping off for a coffee and a glass of wine mid cycle and it was costing €3.40!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭JMcL

Pre ride nutrition French style

What, no cognac? Lightweight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Seems the most appropriate thread. After losing my cross bike, given up trying to get tyres to fit my defy, I've a second cross/ garvel bike. So now my question is hydration pack or bottles and cages? My inclination is hydration pack, with all the various animal sh!te on trails and fireroads?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Do people here know about this? A 'gravel grinder' coming up in Co Fermanagh on October 10. http://www.fermanaghlakelands.com/Lakelander-Gravel-Grinder-Legnabrocky-Enniskillen-P84176

Btw Macy, bottle cages for me. Don't like backpacks.

I'm hoping to do it. Hoping to do approximately 100k along the canals tomorrow to figure out if I can go for the longer distance up there. Will just ignore the fact that canal is flat and this has 1500m odd climbing obv.

I can do a hundred k with 1500m climbing on the road bike so this will clearly be a breeze

a148pro wrote: »
    I'm hoping to do it. Hoping to do approximately 100k along the canals tomorrow to figure out if I can go for the longer distance up there. Will just ignore the fact that canal is flat and this has 1500m odd climbing obv.

I can do a hundred k with 1500m climbing on the road bike so this will clearly be a breeze

Looks like great craic. Did a 100k gravel event in Mayo earlier in the year which was fantastic but way tougher than anticipated. Transport would be an issue for me, wonder if Dublin Bus take bikes?

Yeah I don't think there's any reasonable way there on public transport. I am either going to see if I can get the bike in boot with seat down without a wheel or fit a rack I bought a good 5 years ago and never used

I had other lads with proper racks saying they'd do it but no proper commitment. Most likely will be alone so anyone here welcome to join. Had hoped to to a one or possibly 2 nighter with pints afterwards but at moment I'm thinking smash and grab ex dublin at around 6.30. Not ideal but I can't turn down chance at 100k off road mapped out. Have been in lough navar before and its beautiful. A lot of fermanagh is gorgeous and relatively unknown in the republic.

Which was the 100k in mayo, the one in the audax thread with the 200k option?

a148pro wrote: »
    Which was the 100k in mayo, the one in the audax thread with the 200k option?

Yep, great event but I was probably pushing my luck a bit with lack of fitness or any technical ability other than mucking around. Would really recommend it, loved the forest trails around Cong in particular which were excellent gravel bike material. Took the train down and did two nights of AirBnB which worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

You can get the express bus to Enniskillen lads. It's quite near there. I think it's the bus to Letterkenny (will have to check that). You can take bikes on Bus Eireann buses.

Would like to do it myself but am just coming back from injury and don't know if it's feasible.

• Advertisement

Tempted. Only got the bike last week, only done a 25km gravel spin, but would only travel for the 100km. Not really sure I have the skills/ experience built up. Fitness should be ok, after the Dying Cow and Reservoir Dog the last two weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

LennoxR wrote: »
    You can get the express bus to Enniskillen lads. It's quite near there. I think it's the bus to Letterkenny (will have to check that). You can take bikes on Bus Eireann buses.

Would like to do it myself but am just coming back from injury and don't know if it's feasible.

bus eireann donegal town bus goes through enniskillen X30 or 30

Alek wrote: »
    Whats the bit between Trooperstown and Castlekevin (Annamoe) like? I had spotted the path, but is it a drive way or straight to a forest entrance? I'd most likely be approaching from the Roundwood side (and then on to the Avonmore way).

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

I've signed up for the Lakelander, looking forward to it, there's a fair bit of climbing in it ~1900m so I'll be making the most of the food stops.
    Macy0161, I use water bottles and never had an issue or lost one when riding on rough terrain.

Resoguy wrote: »
    Macy0161, I use water bottles and never had an issue or lost one when riding on rough terrain.
    Ordered the elite cages I use on the road, which I haven't lost a bottle with yet - very solid with elite bottles.

Feck it, in for the Big Dog Lakelander!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Doing the Lakelander big dog as well.

There's a round of the Ulster CX not far away the next day as well for extra fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Doing the Lakelander big dog as well.

There's a round of the Ulster CX not far away the next day as well for extra fun.

Had planned just to ride the Lakelander on a hardtail but with the CX race only up the road I've switched to doing both on a CX bike. Have enough clearance on the frame to fit a pair of 38c tyres with enough room to spare. Hopefully it won't be too uncomfortable.
    I noticed that the first two loops on the course, Ballintempo and Belmore forests, have been covered on Google street view, gives a bit of a taster as to what we can expect this weekend.

Can't make tomorrow now, would have been great as I wanted to support it and hopefully it'll get a good turn out and encourage more of these events

Would anyone going be able to post a gpx link to the route as might do it on my todd some time?

• Advertisement

Advertisement