Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Am I the only one who just gets excited for a new Doctor? And a lil sad to see the old one go?

Maybe it's because I grew watching the reruns on super channel. I never really had a 1 true Doctor. Between the re runs and the Beebs you'd see all the colour Doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

BBC Newsnight are supposed to have named who the new Doctor will be last night.

Popped up on my Facebook feed and closed the browser before I was spoilered.

Not sure how long I can hide from it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,758 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Popped up on my Facebook feed and closed the browser before I was spoilered.

Not sure how long I can hide from it though.
    They didn't name the new Doctor.. they speculated on who every other newspaper article is saying is the new Doctor tbh.. along with a video clip of said actor accidentally potentially revealing too much.

Fair from official confirmation but I'd be a fan of that decision.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Was actually watching that out of the corner of my eye. All I can say is I hope not. Shark jumped time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Was actually watching that out of the corner of my eye. All I can say is I hope not. Shark jumped time.

With all the foreshadowing they have been doing this last season and I'm betting the slow leaks from now till Christmas to get the viewers ready I won't like it either myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

With all the foreshadowing they have been doing this last season and I'm betting the slow leaks from now till Christmas to get the viewers ready I won't like it either myself.
    Or it's a feint to throw off the speculation. Hope springs...

It was beyond heavy handed regardless of outcome. I suspect they are going for it though. Not too much a shock from the BBC in latter years. It has become so "right on" it can be embarrassing. At times it's like Tumblr TV. Even Gatiss has publicly expressed reservations about the "right on" casting in one of the recent episodes he penned and Gatiss would hardly be a reactionary. Of course he had to backtrack quickly on that one.

I really wanted to like Capaldi. Dunno how to put it, but he looked like "The Doctor" for me. I could have easily imagined him playing the role when I was a kid(none of the others would have fitted so easily into the old Who). I suspect I would have liked him more with different scripts/direction. There were a few glimpses, even episodes were he showed how good he could be, but for me - and I really don't like saying this - his would be my least fave of the new Who.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I saw moments of the Doctors I grew up with in Capaldi from time to time but I'd agree I think he was held back from going full on.

I think the blandness is going to get more bland in the next and future Doctors :(

If they do go in the direction they are hinting at I wouldn't be surprised if it gets cancelled and that might be a good thing.

Give it a decade of a break.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well no mention of names, but obvious from the tone and implication as to some of the ... vital statistics shall we say, of the actor. :)

Honestly, this show is too old and had too many crises to prematurely declare anything with any certainty. I think every new doctor has been met with scepticism on this forum, and if the show can survive Colin Baker, question mark shirts and Slitheen, it'll survive this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

It's ok to dislike the heavy handed pcness of some casting but give the actors a chance.

Maybe pearl Mackie was chosen for PC reasons, maybe not. She turned out to be great. So let's approach with an open mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For those who ARE avoiding the naming of this person, be wary of your favourite pop culture sites; Den Of Geek for instance has the name emblazoned on the headline :rolleyes:

Said person had been rumoured for a good while now, so it's nothing new. And if it's true, honestly? It's a good choice, the actor has plenty of charisma and those important comedic chops (based on their most prominent role) so they're not unqualified by a long stretch.

Edit: though said actors theatre company has already dismissed the rumour. Ah, truly doctor who silly season has begun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

If the rumours are not true that's a bit sad. The actor in question was radical in some ways but in other ways not: quirky, goofy and very english.

It might have worked.

If the rumours are not true that's a bit sad. The actor in question was radical in some ways but in other ways not: quirky, goofy and very english.

It might have worked.

Yeah, very 'doctor' template by all accounts, but I think that's the curse of Dr who silly season: any actor vaguely quirky, or with an eccentric enough persona is automatically pushed as a candidate by tabloids and gossip merchants.

Still holding out hope that no actual announcement will come, and it'll be kept a surprise til the Xmas day episode. Hopefully the BBC learn from the bad response they seemed to get for their spoiler-centric press releases throughout season 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Just saw a trailer on BBC One, the new Doctor will be revealed on BBC One this Sunday, after the Men's Wimbledon Final

Mod note: Virtanen, I've merged your new thread with the existing "Peter Capaldi stepping down ..." thread that was here, renaming the latter to be more reflective of the overall discussion. Think it's nicer to keep the chat focused!

So much for the slim chance of it being a big surprise then. I'm actually legitimately disappointed with that decision, even if I'm also fairly excited about who the Doctor might be.

And of course the announcement comes with a suitably over-dramatic teaser trailer! I suspect this is going to be another half-one hour long dragging out:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/885907569696440320

I think it could just be a quick announcement and then done, tbh. They're not actually giving it a time slot, just saying it's after the final, which could be anywhere from 2-5 hours long

(By the by, any chance you could add the upcoming announcement to the thread title? I feel like a lot of people could miss it otherwise :))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭corkie

13th Doctor revealed Newsnight [BREAKDOWN VIDEO]

^^^ Spoiler speculation that
    Tom Ellis from "Lucifer"
    could possibly be the next doctor.

If true, i think he would be good in the role. But what about his current contract on the current show he is in, that kinds of rules him out. Unless it is the last season of the show.

Edit: - Outdated clip, just rechecked it. Sorry for the post!

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,337 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Virtanen wrote: »
    Just saw a trailer on BBC One, the new Doctor will be revealed on BBC One this Sunday, after the Men's Wimbledon Final

Andy Murray :p

Feels like whatever way the decision goes, there's going to be fan backlash. If the new doc is female there'll be outrage, if not, there'll still be outrage. Bar this thread I think I'm going to stay well clear of other sites TBH...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was looking at the listings on Sky and can only see the wheelchair finals and mixed doubles finals. What time is the men's final?

I know there's not much point trying to avoid it since as soon as it's announced, the headlines will be everywhere anyway.

• Advertisement

The final starts at 2pm on BBC One

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I saw
    Jodie Whittaker
    mentioned today with very short odds. I don't think I'd heard that name mentioned before yesterday.

It would be a great choice in my opinion. None of this is spoilers but just in case....
    as someone mentioned above there'll be backlash if it's a women, there'll be backlash if it isn't, but of the female names thrown around I think this would be a genuinely good choice. I feel like a lot of the other names, talking about women here, have been thrown in because they appeared in something popular in the past year and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Whittaker is a very talented actress and I would be genuinely interested in seeing her in the role. I've literally gone from not giving a s**t who is cast to thinking I'll be a bit disappointed now if it's not her. Apparently the new show runner did Broadchurch and she was in that too so maybe it's just people making giant leaps in logic.

Also, for what it's worth, I think the problems the show has had over the last few seasons have been more to do with who was in charge rather than who was cast as Doctor and/or companion. I'm actually a little excited to see someone else take the reigns behind the scenes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I wish I could avoid knowing until I'm on the sofa watching the Christmas special, but it's a pipe dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So what time roughly are we expecting this announcement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So what time roughly are we expecting this announcement?

After the Men's final at Wimbolden so about 5 PM I suppose. That gimmick would have worked much better had Andy Murray been playing.

Wow the new favorite is.......?

The 10th Doctor David Tennant :eek:

I'd be ok with that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Wow the new favorite is.......?

The 10th Doctor David Tennant :eek:

I'd be ok with that.

This person is currently at Wimbledon.

Ok maybe that's why the new favourite tag or maybe there for the unveiling.

Damm the BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Her royal Highness?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Wouldn't be surprised if we get the announcement by 4pm. This Wimbledon Final looks like it'll be over sooner rather than later.

Advertisement