Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games? (Part II)

• 13-01-2017 9:23pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This thread is for posting essential apps and games.

Please post a link and a short note on it if you can.

PART I of this thread is HERE

Let the suggestions continue.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Cianos

Can we add our own apps here ;) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Keith186

Cianos wrote: »
    Can we add our own apps here ;) ?

Only if it's must have 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭patmac

I have car droid, my onePlus2 sits nicely on my dash and it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

For fans of chiptunes (including music created by, and for, retro computers and consoles) this is an excellent app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.zxtune

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.tsapps.appsales&hl=en

I pay €1.99 per year for ad-free etc.

It is a great app to notify you about Android sales.

Superb way to use ones carrier billing credit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

For fans of chiptunes (including music created by, and for, retro computers and consoles) this is an excellent app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.zxtune

This one is really impressive, I love how you can browse, search and download from the online libraries for chiptunes.

Its just a shame theres no online library for the Genesis / SNES and a lot of other systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

@ DanC90:

There was a discussion re Podcast apps on the previous thread.

It was mentioned that Podcast Addict can sync between devices - is this only android/web or would it include iOS?

I'm looking to keep an android phone and an Iphone in sync

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No, it's Pocket Casts that can sync across devices, not Podcast Addict - I switched recently for that reason.

It's 1.99 though.

not sure if it's cross-platform though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Right lads got myself a VR headset and hand controller.

Bit of an impulse buy from Groupon.

My question is now what?

Any apps or recommendations to show off what it can do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭corkie

Right lads got myself a VR headset and hand controller.

Any apps or recommendations to show off what it can do?

Is it a cardboard clone? Check this thread out.

Haven't been keeping up on apps recently, only occasionally using it for 3D movies.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

corkie wrote: »
    Is it a cardboard clone? Check this thread out.

Haven't been keeping up on apps recently, only occasionally using it for 3D movies.

No idea mate.

Here is the link to it

https://www.groupon.ie/deals/virtual-reality-headset

No idea mate.

Here is the link to it

https://www.groupon.ie/deals/virtual-reality-headset

Yes it is a cardboard clone, so the thread I linked should help.

What phone are you using with it. Probably doesn't have daydream support, so it is cardboard apps you should be looking at.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

corkie wrote: »
    Yes it is a cardboard clone, so the thread I linked should help.

What phone are you using with it. Probably doesn't have daydream support, so it is cardboard apps you should be looking at.

Forgive the ignorance corkie, but I'm on a s6 edge plus. As i said, impulse buy . I've three days to return it, what you think?

Forgive the ignorance corkie, but I'm on a s6 edge plus. As i said, impulse buy . I've three days to return it, what you think?

Not to take this thread off topic any further, I have replied to your questions here.

Cheers for that !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Any recommendations for a nav app besides Google maps /drive? It has a bad habit of taking you down every local back road and dirt track with no option to keep to more main roads.

Cheers!

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a nav app besides Google maps /drive? It has a bad habit of taking you down every local back road and dirt track with no option to keep to more main roads.

Don't use these apps myself, but have read good reports for Waze!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Cheers!

Here WeGo (former Here Drive) is a pretty good offline-capable navigator. Found it very reliable over the last year or so on Irish roads, but like google maps it does also suffer occasionally from directing you along a logging road or up through somebody's farm. it uses a different map source to Google and lets you download maps for countries and regions before you go travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭John mac

Have you tried HEREWE go ?
    i have used it a few times and found it fine .

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Personally, I swear by Sygic. It's a pay for maps app but it does pretty well at keeping to the good routes (except for Roscommon where it keeps bringing me through town instead of the ring road.) plus "Emma"s voice is pleasant to hear imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nedd

Maybe this has been mentioned already, I just bought Oceanhorn on my Shield. Great game so far. Very reminiscent of old Zelda games.

Plays like a dream on the Shield as well.

Patww79 wrote: »

Local Android game. Works on phone or tablet as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭larchielads

Just realised somethin. If all these apps are must haves then going by the last thread and this one I'd want some bloody phone to fit em all on and run em properly without any lag and still have space for the odd phone number I might need :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

One for anyone with an Android box, Android Tv, Nexus player, Nvidia Shield etc. Aerial Dream, set it as screensaver.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codingbuffalo.aerialdream

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

nedd wrote:
    Maybe this has been mentioned already, I just bought Oceanhorn on my Shield. Great game so far. Very reminiscent of old Zelda games.

nedd wrote:
    Plays like a dream on the Shield as well.

Cheers for the recommendation. Bought it as supports Android TV

Cloud and Controller support and no IAP, apart from the cost of the game.

Android people need to support games like this

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is there not? I went to download it the other day and the play store listing had it as free with in app purchases, so I never even tried it out.

Have I the right game? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.FDGEntertainment.Oceanhorn.gp

The first 30 mins or so is free then €6 unlocks the entire game. I'm about 5 hours in and at 20% complete. So plenty of play for 6 quid.

Advertisement