Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campions, now The Balgriffin Inn: The continuing saga thereof...

• 04-10-2014 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Ariana Salmon Grindstone

I'm wondering if anyone knows the situation with Campions at Balgriffin.

I went there for a pint on Wednesday night only to discover it locked up, and it hasn't been open since.

Anyone know what the situation is with it?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'm wondering if anyone knows the situation with Campions at Balgriffin.

I went there for a pint on Wednesday night only to discover it locked up, and it hasn't been open since.

Anyone know what the situation is with it?.

Up for sale it appears

http://www.jpyounge.ie/commercialproperty/campions-malahide-road-dublin/

Only ten minutes walk away myself although haven't been in it in a few years. Shame really. Nice little country pub a couple of yards outside the city limits. Same family have owned/run it for over a hundred years. Their name is there on old censuses (censi?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Ariana Salmon Grindstone

Collie D wrote: »
    Up for sale it appears

http://www.jpyounge.ie/commercialproperty/campions-malahide-road-dublin/

Only ten minutes walk away myself although haven't been in it in a few years. Shame really. Nice little country pub a couple of yards outside the city limits. Same family have owned/run it for over a hundred years. Their name is there on old censuses (censi?)

I seen that link in a search this morning.

Thing is its my local, I drink there most Wednesday's and nothing has been mentioned about a sale recently.

I drink/drank in the bar.. A proper old style bar, with no female toilets :) ~ plus you could buy your groceries too, and their off sales were the cheapest around (and latest ;) )

I'll really miss Campions if its been sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Jaysus that brings me back...

Spent many a happy afternoon in Campions on the mitch from Belcamp :D

DLMA23 wrote: »
    Jaysus that brings me back...

Spent many a happy afternoon in Campions on the mitch from Belcamp :D

Hope TO'S never caught you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I seen that link in a search this morning.

Thing is its my local, I drink there most Wednesday's and nothing has been mentioned about a sale recently.

I drink/drank in the bar.. A proper old style bar, with no female toilets :) ~ plus you could buy your groceries too, and their off sales were the cheapest around (and latest ;) )

I'll really miss Campions if its been sold

If its bought lets hope it opens as was and not as some soulless new type bar with pulled pork on the menu.
    I love the fact that its literally a few yards outside the city but sitting in it you would swear you were in a bar in the arsehole of Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Drank there when I lived close by, believe I even ran into Makikomi once, was never really enamoured with it, but they did have shelfed pint bottles so was ok by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Drank there when I lived close by, believe I even ran into Makikomi once, was never really enamoured with it, but they did have shelfed pint bottles so was ok by me.

And I bet you were put flat on your back:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Sad times, lets hope its not turned into another Camelot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It's been many many years since I was in it, but had it not turned into a bit if a kip lately ????

Just asking as I know someone who frequents the place and he said it to me.

realies wrote: »
    It's been many many years since I was in it, but had it not turned into a bit if a kip lately ????

Just asking as I know someone who frequents the place and he said it to me.

No it certainly wasn't a kip.

Some of the people drinking in the lounge may not have been the prettiest or welcomed into most pubs but they never caused any bother.

• Advertisement

Just info'd that its to re-open this evening under new (English) ownership, although I don't think it'll be the same without Dave, Maurice and Faye pulling the pints.

Just info'd that its to re-open this evening under new (English) ownership, although I don't think it'll be the same without Dave, Maurice and Faye pulling the pints.

Sounds like a quick sale...wonder how long it was on the market for.

Good to hear anyway. Enjoy your pint on Wednesday and try to make up for the one you missed last week :)

Collie D wrote: »
    Sounds like a quick sale...wonder how long it was on the market for.

Good to hear anyway. Enjoy your pint on Wednesday and try to make up for the one you missed last week :)

I think I owe it to myself to check it out this evening for a post-training refreshment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think I owe it to myself to check it out this evening for a post-training refreshment :D
    I heard all the regulars are barred. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

No, just Makikomi
    :)

Still no sign of it opening again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Love/Hate scenes this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

I think Nidge and his gang will be taking it over, they were recently spotted in the area drinking in it :-)

Sad news. I just got a text to say its being knocked down this morning :'(

***Edit, I cycled out to it just now and there's not a brick out of place!.. No developement work at all, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Ao

It's still standing ! I've heard a couple of pub groups mentioned in relation to Champions, The Cock n Bull and Weatherspoons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Planning permission for a housing estate approved by An Bord Planaela today

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

Planning permission for a housing estate approved by An Bord Planaela today

The Ruling can be found here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

It's a pity the building will be demolished as it had been there such a long time and there are almost no older buildings in the area.

You can see the Campion family of publican grocers in Balgriffin in the 1911 census here: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Coolock/Belcamp/7521/

It's a pity the building will be demolished as it had been there such a long time and there are almost no older buildings in the area.

You can see the Campion family of publican grocers in Balgriffin in the 1911 census here: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Coolock/Belcamp/7521/

Its shocking how we hold little little value in history.

:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anywhere decent out there for a pint?
    Cam_________ oh, wait.

spurious wrote: »
    Anywhere decent out there for a pint?
    Cam_________ oh, wait.

Today?.. Well you could go to Shelbourne dog racing or the Aviva to see Ireland play Switzerland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bird123

Looks like there’s some building activity going on inside Campions Pub in Balgriffin. I know the site was earmarked for houses but it looks like they might be doing something with Campions as the fitters are working inside the building without a bulldozer in sight. Anyone know what’s happening with it? Would be nice if they re opened a nice local pub that does good food considering the amount of new developments in the area.

Bird123 wrote: »
    Looks like there’s some building activity going on inside Campions Pub in Balgriffin. I know the site was earmarked for houses but it looks like they might be doing something with Campions as the fitters are working inside the building without a bulldozer in sight. Anyone know what’s happening with it? Would be nice if they re opened a nice local pub that does good food considering the amount of new developments in the area.

I seen that yesterday.

I loved the old Campions. I tried The Hilton hotel bar, its awful.

If you don't mind traveling then The White House in Baldoyle is superb, and the food is sublime.

But yes, with all the new developments in the area you'd think a pub there would be a little goldmine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

hope a pub comes back, but keep the riff raff out...

• Advertisement

hope a pub comes back, but keep the riff raff out...

Then you'll need bouncers on the door, then people will moan about that and since the old lounge was frequented by travelers (and a mix of locals from Darndale) you'll get the usual claims of discrimination.

And in fairness although the crowd in the old lounge was a bit rough, there was rarely an angry word exchanged.

I know the three brothers (Maurice, Fay and Dave) are out of the business now, and their kids didn't want it. Plus there's plans for development on the land, I doubt we'll have Campions back again.

Advertisement