Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

weisses wrote: »
    True ... Heavy rain and strong gusts

Just starting to pick up in Cork city now too. All familiar sounds at this stage :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Latest Hirlam appears to be sticking to its guns on the storm track over the South West
    http://www.emhi.ee/index.php?ide=19,394,416,419

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

All eyes on RTE1 in a few minutes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Villain wrote: »

I think the Alert Levels here should either echo Met Eireann's or not be present at all, I mean Met Eireann have issued an Orange Warning which is a serious threat yet we only see a level 1 here for a system which is over 48 hours away.

I would go with 'not present' full stop. As they seem to put an onus on the main forecasters on here, who would, in my opinion, rather just discuss potential and ever changing situations. Reading MT's post a few days ago seems to confirm this. Put up a level 3, they'll get accused of hyping it up too much; put up a 'level 1' then chances are there will be complaints of not hyping it up enough. The Big 3 or 4 on here should not have to deal with that at all.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Evelyn a bit understated with forecast there - still uncertain I guess. But seems if it does hit us it will move away quick enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep she played it safe but to be fair its very uncertain and she did mention the risk
    293242.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

It's taken a fairly nasty turn here in Cork. Howling wind and heavy rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Latest Hirlam appears to be sticking to its guns on the storm track over the South West
    http://www.emhi.ee/index.php?ide=19,394,416,419

Sustained storm force from Cork and Kerry to Clare and maybe even Galway on that run, a massive difference to Cornwall or Southern Wales taking a direct hit as the UKMO are suggesting. Forecasters will really be earning their money over then next 24 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS coming around again on the 18z towards the ECMWF track

gfs-0-42.png?18

Look at this gradient over southern Ireland...

Dangerous @45hrs

gfs-0-45-3h.png?18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Latest Met Eireann Outlook sums it up pretty well:
    Extremely windy or possibly storm conditions are likely on Wednesday, with heavy rain or sleet, and some local flooding.
    Some structural damage is also possible. The exact track of the approaching low pressure is still not certain, so keep in tune with updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

wow, very nasty GFS for Wednesday Rtavn481.gif

100 knots @ 850hPa over Ireland Wednesday with a sting-jet a very real threat............

Rtavn4812.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Wow, 18z GFS has moved us right into the firing line and if it keeps that track we're looking at a very dangerous storm for Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Snow on the Northern edge a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Its a bloody hurricane guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

On Joans forecast why are the arrows on the isobar underneath "Violent Storm Force Eleven" going in the opposite direction (East to West) ???

Its a bloody hurricane guys!!

Not far off, latest runs has a patch of sustained Hurricane force winds off running onto the southwest coast!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Villain wrote: »
    I would agree with you only there has been a lot of comments here in the past where people have had a go at Met Eireann and said they trust forecasts here etc.

I think the Alert Levels here should either echo Met Eireann's or not be present at all, I mean Met Eireann have issued an Orange Warning which is a serious threat yet we only see a level 1 here for a system which is over 48 hours away.

You have made your views on this quite apparent no need to keep repeating yourself

Timing may change but if we were to take the 18z GFS as gospel it would actually be very concerning for Dublin.

Striking right @ evening rush hour with sustained winds of 40-45kts with gusts probably hitting 70kts in the wrap around cloud head.

Would be dangerous on the roads with flying debris etc.

Very difficult call for Met Eireann tomorrow if things looks similar, what is the advise if you think there is a high risk of 70kt+ wind gusts hitting the capital city at rush-hour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Highest mean wind speed recorded at Valentia is 107 km/h in September 1961. 18Z GFS has sustained winds of ~120 km/h touching there.

Will it actually verify? Who knows, but quite amazing to see at under 48 hours now.

It's gone very nasty in Cork City now - very gusty with heavy rain; can only imagine what Wednesday will be like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Being really selfish here but I hope this happens. Dublin hasn't had any real exciting weather at all :/ Everywhere else is hogging it. cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

This is really wow stuff to see at such short range. But I've seen it all go balls up in the last 24hrs before it happens. Certainly concerning though .

Timing may change but if we were to take the 18z GFS as gospel it would actually be very concerning for Dublin.

Striking right @ evening rush hour with sustained winds of 40-45kts with gusts probably hitting 70kts in the wrap around cloud head.

Would be dangerous on the roads with flying debris etc.

Very difficult call for Met Eireann tomorrow if things looks similar, what is the advise if you think there is a high risk of 70kt+ wind gusts hitting the capital city at rush-hour?

And what about the rest of the country? I thought it was the South was looking most in danger?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

leahyl wrote: »
    And what about the rest of the country? I thought it was the South was looking most in danger?

At4eEEf.png

leahyl wrote: »

I am just focusing on Dublin there, the south gets the worst of it before it heads north.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

From looking at various runs posted here I have seen the worst of the winds being in the south west and the east, but on some it seems that it will be the north west and the east, which outcome is most likely or do we need to wait on more models in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Another gfs based gust speed with numbers from here-
    http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/datmdlout.aspx

18_42_windvector_gust.png?cb=659

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shamrock841

2200z Metar from Cork airport has the wind 190(southerly) 22kts gusting 39kts

Advertisement