Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greyhound Waste Thread - MOD WARNING in Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

goz83 wrote: »

Average weight of our black bins is 60-70kg. We recycle, so the organic waste is in the brown bin and the light waste is in the green bin. There are 3 adults and 3 children in our household. I would say a 30kg bin is unrealistic, unless its a single person, or a couple, who just dump all their waste into the black bin, fillingit up with bulky, but very light recyclable matter, such as boxes and plastic bottles.

We had a black bin in September weighing over 127kg.

Thanks. There's two of us in my house but we recycle and compost. Only put the black bin out every 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I rang greyhound yesterday to ask what weight my last three bins lifts were and they couldn't tell me because I haven't put my bin out since they started weighting them. The girl on the phone said the average weight of a full bin is approx 25kg - 30kg. I suspect she was lying to me, could anyone enlighten me as to the approx weight of a full bin. Thanks.

I put out a really full black bin this week, according to my bin lift history on Greyhound.ie it was 33.5KG.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1008/1224325015557.html

I dont really understand their reasoning for offering people in different areas different charges. I currently put my black bin out every 4-6 weeks.

One of the plans I was offered was 175 annualy (160.40 if paid by a certain date). Probably because I dont put my bin out very often.

I have now decided to go with the annual plan for 160, so I will now put my bin out as often as I like.

But yet someone that is currently puttiing their bin out every 2 weeks was probably offered the yearly plan for a lot more than 160. It doesnt make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ranmac

Average weight of our black bins is 60-70kg. We recycle, so the organic waste is in the brown bin and the light waste is in the green bin. There are 3 adults and 3 children in our household. I would say a 30kg bin is unrealistic, unless its a single person, or a couple, who just dump all their waste into the black bin, fillingit up with bulky, but very light recyclable matter, such as boxes and plastic bottles.

Thats exactly to info I was looking for. So, on that basis, for me a 70 kg bin would cost €4.90 for the first 25 kg plus 45 kg at €0.33 (if what I am told is a 'typo' error) - total cost for my bin €19.75. Just what I am afraid of

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

ranmac wrote: »
    Thats exactly to info I was looking for. So, on that basis, for me a 70 kg bin would cost €4.90 for the first 25 kg plus 45 kg at €0.33 (if what I am told is a 'typo' error) - total cost for my bin €19.75. Just what I am afraid of

No. The first 25kg is a set €6.50 for the black bin and then 33cent per kilo eafter. That means:

70kg full weight.
    25kg charged at €6.50
    45kg overweight at 33cent per kg = €14.85

€6.50 + €14.85 = €21.35

The current charge is €7 per black bin lift, regardless of weight, so your charge is more than 3 times the price you're paying now if you use Plan 1.

So if you put out 26 black bins per year, your 2012 charge would be €182 for lifts, plus €100 annual fee = €282
    In 2013, on Plan 1 (using the charges in my area) you pay €59.95 plus €555.10 (based on 70kg weight) = €615.05

That's before taking brown bin into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

And another interesting point is that there is no reference to black bin size. For the waiver customer it states on Plan 1 that in addition to €49.95 annual charge the charge is €4.90 per lift. Is this regardless of bin size as I was thinking of downsizing my bin as I am now officially 'old' - that is an OAP - or would it be less for the smaller bin. You really have to wonder at the intelligence or indeed lack of it with the Greyhound Company in producing such a document. My next door neighbouor uses the smaller black bin

I'm not on a waiver, so charges might be different.

Anyway, I got the letter that indicated that I should be on Plan 1. (59.95) plus a set charge for every collection but the devil is in the detail. I rang Greyhound immediately as I have a small black bin (140L). I only put it out twice a year because I try to recycle everything.....it's really only bags of cigarette butts that go into into the black bin (yeuchy, I know!!)

The poor guy in Greyhound had to leave me on hold for ages until he asked a supervisor. I was told that the collection charge for the smaller bin would be €4.50 (the weight of the bin in excess of 20kgs will be charged at 33 cent per kilo). I even asked how much it would be to be to replace the smaller bin with the larger one and was told €20. The same weight limit applies to a smaller bin - 20kgs.

A week later, a letter arrived that detailed the charges for the smaller black bin and it was less. I will pay €4.00 per lift for the black bin. When I looked at my account I was paying €4.20 per lift....so that's actually a reduction......or is it? I don't know what my previous black bin weighed when it was last collected....and they can't tell me because it was months ago!!!

The Brown Bin
    My brown bin charges have been €2.00 per lift so far but they're going to increase to €3.60 per lift. My brown bin can be a 'heavy beast', depending on the time of the year. Obviously during the summer there would be more 'compostable waste' that goes into the brown bin but according to the Greyhound website my last brown bin collection was April 2012 and it weighed 28 kgs!!!

What I do for the brown bin is to put all biodegradable waste into marked biodegrable plastic bags rather than putting the waste directly into the brown bin.....it's cuts down on the smell!!! The 'green waste' compacts in the bag, which is placed in the bin. For example, I cut a load of branches off a tree in late summer (the amount would have filled my brown bin and my neighbours too) but I cut them up with a secateurs and filled the bag.....the volume has decreased (not sure about the weight though!!)

I also have two green bins which I fill every two weeks. It's amazing the amount of stuff that can be recycled......check your rubbish and you'll be amazed what can be recycled....even the lid from a yoghurt!!

I don't have a 'kitchen bin' in my house. I just sort through the rubbish that's generated from teenagers rooms....green, black or brown (usually gone off bananas or apples......nasty and very yeuch!!) and put the rubbish in the appropriate bin.

The way I look at waste management/recyclingcompanies is to beat them at their own game. Adhere to their rules and recycle as much as possible for free.

It's going to be difficult to estimate the weight of a bin (do they deduct the actual weight of the bin from the total weight......who knows!!) Should we all buy scales that will weigh our bins in the future (there's a business idea for somebody!!). Leaving bins out in the future will be like travelling on a well known 'Irish' air transport provider.....scales, etc.

Also, what about the security aspect. If I leave out a black bin (for example), what's to stop my neighbours or other people from dumping their rubbish into my bin.....and 'muggins' paying for it!! So, I'd be paying for their rubbish!!

I've actually seen some of my neighbours putting their rubbish in others peoples' bins....I think it was with their consent. With the new system, what's to stop people filling their neighbours bins with their own rubbish and because of the new increased charges by weight.......the registered householder will pay!!

I shall see how the new charges work out but I may be putting my fag ashes and butts in the local litter bin which most probably will be an illegal act.

Maybe I should just stop smoking!!!

I would worry about how accurate their weighing is. I only put the bin out every 6 weeks and it does be really full. According to them my last two black bin lifts were 28kgs and 22kgs. The bin is so heavy I can bearly move it. And apparently my last green bin was 17kgs. How is that possible.

I would worry about how accurate their weighing is. I only put the bin out every 6 weeks and it does be really full. According to them my last two black bin lifts were 28kgs and 22kgs. The bin is so heavy I can bearly move it. And apparently my last green bin was 17kgs. How is that possible.

Same here - last time I put out my black bin, it was 10 weeks of black bin waste (we recycle and use the brown bin a lot), and it was really, really heavy - but only 33.5KG according to Greyhound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I tend to hide some of my normal rubbish underneath the cardboard/recyclebles in the green bin. They haven't done anything about it so far.

mystic wrote: »
    The same weight limit applies to a smaller bin - 20kgs.

The 240L bin has a 25kg restriction, so that's 5kg in the difference.

mystic wrote: »
    Maybe I should just stop smoking!!!

That would be a good idea. Filling bins with smoke butts!! That habit must be costing you a bomb. Check out the deal websites for quit smoking programs, they are always online.

The 127kg bin was quite heavy and I found it very hard to move, but in saying that, the black bin is usually that heavy (not always), so I wonder too how accurate their system is. It wouldn't matte if we all weighed our bins, Greyhound would just use their figures and would certainly ignore disputes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

statss wrote: »
    I tend to hide some of my normal rubbish underneath the cardboard/recyclebles in the green bin. They haven't done anything about it so far.

Well you're a proper genius aren't you. You're ruining the entire recycling effort of hundreds of people by contaminating the load.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ranmac

So does anyone know the weight of an empty 240 L black bin and does anyone have any ideas as to how to weigh a full bin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

So does anyone know the weight of an empty 240 L black bin and does anyone have any ideas as to how to weigh a full bin

If you go on to their website and check your account, the weight of your bins already collected should be there. Having said that, ours haven't been weighed since they started. :(

I would not be at all surprised if they included the weight of the empty bin too. God forbid them finding a way to judge the difference between a 140, or 240 litre bin. I reckon they just weigh the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Just been onto Greyhound to verify the details and it is exactly as posters are saying. Luckily I have until 1st Jan to use up the balance in my account. I think I will switch to Ozo after that. Just been onto them and they have an offer of €220.50 per year for 26 lifts per bin. They don't offer a brown bin service yet but that does not really bother me. Based on the fact that the green bin is free, the Ozo rates work out at €8.46 per black bin lift with no weight restrictions. They offer fortnightly collections with both bins collected on the same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

was onto them over the last couple of days, unbeliveably unhelpful and actually agreed with me that the suggested plan 1 would actually cost me a few hundred a year more than plan 2 would!!! unreal to say the least!! anyway, have set up on plan 2 with them (purely because i have 60euro credit on my account) and will pay 19euro per month with no weight restrictions and no annual charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Couldn't get any useful information from Greyhound as they haven't been weighing bins in my (inner city Dublin) area!

I put the bins out on average once a month. The brown bin can be heavy depending on the time of year, but the black bin is usually very light as it just gets stuff that can't be recycled, like plastic bags and packets.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

kravmaga wrote: »

I need to correct your figures on Plan 2 and Plan 3

Plan 2 - It is €19 per month and not €29 as you have quoted.

Plan 3 - €250 is the up front fee and not €330 as you have quoted.

Where are you getting your numbers from by the way?

I dont work for Greyhound.

I have a hard copy of the info leaflet in front of me dated 5th October 2012.

Hi,

Sorry but you are incorrect regarding the excess kilo charges. The correct charges on Plan 1 are Black/Grey bin 33 cent per kilo over 25 kilos Brown bin 24 cent per kilo over 20 kilos. I have attached the official advertisement from Greyhound. As they did to many others Greyhound have suggested I opt for Plan I. I believe they are being very clever indeed, and I suspect less than open in that they are well aware very many people will regularly exceed the kilo allowance and Greyhound will make a mint to say the least. I am concerned, have mailed them and am awaiting a reply,as to whether the weighting equipment on their vehicles is to subject to inspection and certification by any statutory body so as to ensure excess weights are calculated and charged correctly. After all I like most people have no way of weighting my bin prior to presenting it for collection. Neither do I have any way of disputing any excess claimed and charged by Greyhound which means I am at the mercy of Greyhound who could apply any charge they feel like. This is improper and in my opinion Greyhound should not be allowed introduce this system until such time as their customers are protected from incorrect weight calculation and thus overcharging. Perhaps this is a matter for Dublin City Council who came to in my opinion a somewhat dubious and secretive arrangement with Greyhound. Other interested providers seemed to have been swept aside. I wonder why.
    Some have mentioned Oxigen and their €240.00 per annum offer. It is important to note that this does not include collection of a Brown bin. Should you require Oxigen to collect a Brown bin their charges are €12.00 yes €12.00 per lift with a requirement that you pay for 3 lifts in advance. Should you happen to reside in the Ballymount area of Dublin you would benefit from their provision of free Brown waste 20kg collection bags which you can bring to their Ballymount facility and exchange for a bag of fertilizer ( you would need to verify if there is a charge for this ).
    On face value it seems the best offer from Greyhound is Plan 2 €29.00 per month €348.00 per year Black + Brown bin No excess. While slightly more expensive than than Plan 3 Black + Brown bin No excess €330.00 per year, Payment In Advance it offers much better protection in the event of Greyhound failing as a business and or suffering from industrial action as in the first scenario you could suffer a maximum loss of €29.00 in the second you could simply stop the direct debit to Greyhound and use the funds to pay another provider.
    On a point of interest many I understand that many people try to leave their bin out monthly rather than fortnightly in an effort to keep costs down. Greyhound have advised me that they have set the maximum weights of 25kg Black and 20 kg Brown as this is the average waste per fortnight generated by the average household as calculated by the Environmental Protection Agency. ( I wonder how they came to this conclusion ) as I have never seen them in my estate nor have they ever communicated with myself nor any of my neighbours, family, associates and or work colleagues. Perhaps their assessment is based upon figures provided by Greyhound themselves. So back to the point. Given that the EPA calculate a Black bin will contain 25kg each fortnight and a Black bin lifts costs €6.50 + say €30.00 of the annual service charge (leaving the other €30 for the Brown bin). This amounts to €1.30 + the €6.50 lift charge a total of €7.80 to have a Black bin lifted. Those who skip a lift @ 25kg would present a bin weighting 50kg for collection an excess of 25kg @ 33cent per kg and excess charge of €8.25 + their lift charge of €7.80 making a final total of of €16.05 per month as against 2 X €7.80 a total of €15.60 where the bin is presented every fortnight weighting 25 kg as determined by the EPA. Brown bins would be similarly affected. I suggest this new pricing structure is designed to prevent hard pressed home owners / tenants attempting to make savings by presenting bins monthly rather than fortnightly. Just look to the difference of 45cent and I feel my point is proven. I am amazed at the EPA,s calculations of 25kg for a Black bin and 20kg for a Brown bin. Is it blatantly obvious that the average family would generate far more Black than Brown waste, at least twice as much so I believe the maximum weight of the Black bin should be increased to 50kg before excess charges apply. I honestly believe we are being screwed here bigtime and suggest all who read this post go kicking and screaming to their local representatives. Greyhound a global conglomerate supposedly got this contract on the basis that they could provide it cheaper than the local authorities. I do not believe this for one minute. If paid these charges Dublin City Council could well provide this service and in doing so create more jobs. Final word on this if you elect to stay with Greyhound the best option is €29.00 per month no excess.
    Ps I am going to ask if they will provide me with this second Black bin free. After all there's no point in offering to lift a second bin free of charge if I don't have one.

Hitbit

Citizen victim of the most corrupt political and financial system in the free world.

I received a letter today from Terence Flanagan TD (FG) with a response from Greyhound Recycling regarding my complaint. I have responded to Terence, thanking him, but the Greyhound reply is less than satisfactory. I have pasted the whole email below, omitting only my name. The Greyhound response has been split into single line statements and is in bold font. The opening and closing formalities were not included, as they were not relevant to the subject. Email reply to follow:

Dear Terence,

First of all, let me thank you for making contact with Greyhound Recycling on my behalf. You should know that I contacted Tommy Broughan (Labour) a day or so after contacting you. However, you were the first public figure I contacted and you responded, where the other TD did not, so I appreciate that a great deal. I did also contact Minister Hogan, but I only received a reply from his office to acknowledge receipt of my email and have received no reply since then. Cllr Brabazon was also recently informed and has sent a letter response with interest in dealing with the matter in a public way. I have expressed interest, if necessary in speaking with the media about this issue, as it has received little attention when time is short. I would prefer I did not have to go down this route, because I would like to see the matter being dealt with properly, without the media being brought into it.

I received your letter with the Greyhound Recycling Response this morning. It is, quite frankly, a pathetic blow off response from Greyhound Recycling, with nothing being answered and much being lied about. I will cover the response, line by line, followed by my thoughts on them. I have excluded the opening greeting, as it is not material to the response.

"The options offered are relating to the usage of the bins."

It is a bin company. I did not think they were offering food delivery plans, or selling health insurance. However, this is one of only two factually correct statements.

"Each bin has a unique microchip that feeds back to our server."

This is the second correct statement, but it fails to mention that many areas and households have not been monitored by weight up to now, because many of their fleet are not equipped with the necessary hardware to take weight measurements (according to Greyhound source) and pass them along to the server. It is also not possible, or practical for people to weigh their own bins, so how are people to know if Greyhound Recycling are being honest without independent checks being carried out? If people do weigh their own bins, Greyhound still have the final say and there is nothing the customer can do about it if they disagree. On a personal note, I often bring my own bin out and the weights always feel similar. I could not give you an accurate measurement from my duty of wheeling the bins to the front of the Garden, but I would say the average weight would be 60-70kg, but according to greyhound, one bin was over 127kg. A mistake? Who knows? On the new system, I would be charged €6.50 for the first 25kg and €33.66 for the next 102kg, which is a total of €40.16 for that bin lift on the plan Greyhound recommended for me, based on their expert analysis. They also weigh by the half kilo, but they have not given any indication of how people would be charged for a half kilo. Will they be let off the 16.5cent? Will it be carried over? Will they be charged 16.5cent? Will they be charged for a full kilo?

"We believe that the selected plan is the best option for each customer."

Nonsense! This is total lies. If they believed the selected plans were the best plans for each customer, then wouldn't different customers have been placed on different plans? I have asked dozens of people about this and every single person has been placed on Plan 1, which Greyhound know is the biggest money maker for them. The vast majority of customers would go well above the restriced weights on a black bin. I would ask this question; Has any customer been placed onto any other plan without having to request it? I would doubt so. I think I will start a poll on this and report back.

"Customers have a range of different options to choose from within their plan and can make a different choice at any time throughout the year."

Customers do have different plans to choose from, but variety isn't a word I wuld use here. My household was offered 4 different Plans. My current end of year projection for domestic waste is costing just under €300. With the plan Greyhound Recycling recommended (PLAN 1) my annual spend would be in excess of €1000. This is not my figure. This was from the mouth of the first Greyhound representave I spoke to when I first rang about the .33c blunder, which hasn't been detailed in their response at all, very conveniently. I would not imagine it being easy for a customer being able to switch from certain plans throughout the year, but it's not a simple point to argue, so I will forego on that one.

"Different plans do no relate to different areas."

Untrue. As mentioned in my original letter; the good people of clongriffin, Dublin 13 seem to be getting their waste collected at nearly half the cost of those of us literally across the road. I know that a number of different price plans are being offered to different customers in different areas of Dublin. Greyhound denied this when last I spoke to them. The representative kept spouting different plans, saying I should choose the one-off €330, which would be very difficult for most of us at this time of year. The annual upfront fee for someone living in Grange Abbey is €330, or €29 per month (€348 annually). The annual upfront fee for someone living in clongriffin is €175, or €15 per month (€180 annually). As you know, these communities are side by side. I do not know if all of Grange Abbey, or all of Clongriffin are being charged the same plan fees for their area, as I have not checked every single addreess of course. However, I have attached proof, which a customer in Clongriffin has kindly posted on a public forum for all to see, at my request. So, to say that prices, or plans are not related to areas is a complete lie. The first file is the cover letter with the name and address of the customer partially removed for privacy. The second file contains an image of the prices greyhound are charging that customer.

"The new choices that are being introduced include prices by weight."

These prices are misleadng and/or completely wrong. A price of .33c (one third of one cent) sits comfortably with 2012 prices after the 50cent reduction is black bin lifts. Customers would actually make a tiny saving in most cases. However, Greyhound insist that the price is actually 33cent per extra kilo, which adds several euros to the average black bin. I wonder if Greyhound could provide the average black bin weight for Dublin, or even just for my area, Grange Abbey? Based on Plan 1: If the average black bin was only 50 kilos in weight (a very conservative figure i'm sure you'll agree) then the cost for the first 25kg is €6.50 and the added cost would be €8.25, a total of €14.75.

The black bin is lifted 30 times per year (as far as I know, but i'm open to correction). Completely ignoring brown bin lifts; if the black bin is lifted 30 times per year and the weight of each bin is 50 kilos, the total annual cost, including the €59.95 upfront fee on Plan 1 is €502.45. With the weight only plan, it is €495 with no upfront fee added. That's on a very conservatively low average bin and excludes the brown bin altogether.

Greyhound have still not responded to the .33c price error. I have twice requested to speak to a supervisor. On the first occasion, the supervisor was "away in Dublin for the day". The second time, the supervisor was "at a meeting and would call me right back". One representative already said that the price was an error and that the letters should not have been sent out. I named that representative in the online forum I referred to you and I named the missing supervisor too. Unless something is done, there will be uproar next year about this. I wouldn't be surprised if the army had to be called in again to collect the bins from customers who can't, or won't pay extortionate and misleading rates, cleverly disguised in errors and half-truths, with a core of lies. If they are aiming to help customers save money, I would ask how much extra they are forecasting to raise from the average household? The response from Greyhound is total Garbage and does nothing to answer my questions. I will be taking action to alert the public in a bigger way if necessary. I will be changing to a different provider, but most people don't know the truth.

Best Regards,

Snip My Name

So I just cheked with Oxigen and they cover my area. Will be switching to them. They do quarterly charges (lifting all your bins every fortnight) at €60. Bi-annual is €120, so no saving. Annual is €220, so a saving of €20 if done annually. I was interested in the quarterly charge of €60 plus a brown bin lift cost €12 per lift, no set up fees. All bins are collected at the same time, which is great! I'm well pleased with that! It's a pet hate of mine putting the bins out, so doing it once, or twice a month instead of four, or five times a month suits me just fine. It also suits me to be saving money too and leaving the shower we're with now. Fingers crossed it all works out, but my friend has been with Oxigen since January when he refused to pay the upfront €100 service charge. What do you reckon Greyhound will say about a refund on the outstanding credit on our account? I hear they just don't do refunds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

kravmaga wrote: »

I need to correct your figures on Plan 2 and Plan 3

Plan 2 - It is €19 per month and not €29 as you have quoted.

Plan 3 - €250 is the up front fee and not €330 as you have quoted.

Where are you getting your numbers from by the way?

I dont work for Greyhound.

I have a hard copy of the info leaflet in front of me dated 5th October 2012.

People seem to be getting differently priced plans even within the same estate or area. Plan 2 €15 pm and Plan3 €175 per year offered to some people.Also i don't think it is a good idea advising people what plan to go on and i think this will backfire on them as some people see their bills mounting and complain.

Yes. They are charging different prices to different people and have given no answer as to why one person can get their bins collected fr €15 per month, while the person on the road behind them is being charged €29 for the same service.

See my poll here => http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056805298

I will be directing TDs and Ministers to the poll when it ends if enough people vote. I would say a minimum of 100, but I hope it's a great deal more than that.

Yes. They are charging different prices to different people and have given no answer as to why one person can get their bins collected fr €15 per month, while the person on the road behind them is being charged €29 for the same service.

See my poll here => http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056805298

I will be directing TDs and Ministers to the poll when it ends if enough people vote. I would say a minimum of 100, but I hope it's a great deal more than that.

I applaud your persistence with this, goz83.
    Perhaps try posting in the thread about Greyhound in Bargain Alerts about your poll: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056765023

I have sent an email to some media departments, including RTE, TV3, The Heral, Independent, The People, Consumer Show, 98fm & fm104. I "cc'd" Terence Flanagan & Phil Hogan. Terence was kind enough to contact Greyhound Recycling as stated earlier, but I have had no reply from Minister Hogans office as yet, apart from an acknowledgement that my email was received on October 24th.

My email to the media was: (only read if you're bored :D )

Dear Sir,
    I would like to bring to your attention some information I believe should be made available to the people of Dublin and beyond. It is regarding different pricing structures for the same service to different households in Dublin. To summarise a key point of what you are to be directed to, I would say this; I live in Dublin 13 and Greyhound sent me a letter at the beginning of October, recommending that I use their Plan 1 from January 2nd 2013. All customers will be put onto a plan and the old system will be gone. It would appear that every single Greyhound Recycling customer received a similar letter, recommending they use Plan 1, which would actually more than doube the cost of domestic waste for the average customer, because there are very low weight restrictions, which add 33 cent per kilo for anything over 25kg in a black bin (an average of €13 extra per bin lift on top of the €6.50 flat lift fee). Plan 1 is the default Plan it would seem.

There are a number of plans, but Plan 2 is €29 per month with no restrictions on weight. However, Plan 2 in Clongriffin, Dublin 13 (less than 100 metres away from my home) is offered the same service for €19 per month. A customer in Dublin 4 is offered the same service for €15 per month. I don't have the price fluctuations by area, as Greyhound denied the fluctuations even existed when I asked. Most people will have binned the letter, but I fear they don't realise the truth behind the new plans. For detailed information, please www.boards.ie and see for yourself. I have created 3 threads, one of which has a poll to see if anyone was put on a plan, other than Plan 1. Please see all 3 threads before deciding what to do with this information. It will take only a few minutes of your time and should make for a very informative story. I would ask that Boards.ie not be mentioned without the permisission of the site owners if a decision to publish a story is made. The opinions set out are those of who post messages and are not the opinions of the site owners. Without such forums, it would not have been possible to discover the issues I am describing in this email. I am only making a reference to the site, as this is where most of the information I have gathered is present. You may need to paste the addresses into your browser.

1. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81741999#post81741999 This is a brand new awareness thread in the consumer issues section. It has links to the 2 other threads.

2. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81274635 This was the very first thread, with most of the raw information you need.

3. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056805298 this is the poll I started. It will run for a total of 10 days. One must vote before they see the results. I expect everyone will select that they were put on Plan 1.

If you need more information and if I can provide it, I am happy to help. You can request information by email, which I check regularly. I wish to point out that any changes made by Greyhound will not impact me, as I switched to Oxigen just yesterday. I also contacted some of the local TDs and Councillers, as well as Minister Phil Hogan. To date, I have only received replies from Cllr Tom Brabazon (FF) and TD Terence Flanagen (FG). TD Flanagan contacted Greyhound and they sent a reply, which is available in text format on one of the threads above. The original reply is in my possession.

Best Regards,

name removed

Concerned Citizen

I cant understand how greyhound can deny the fluctuations in pricing exist.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1008/1224325015557.html

Thanks for that. I had no idea it varied from house to house. I thought it was from estate to estate. That's much worse than I thought!

The spokesman says "not a price hike" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

I mailed Greyhound asking,
    which if any statutory body checks and certifies the weighing machines on their vehicles.
    If they offered different charges for their plan 2 option based upon location as suggested in some posts.
    Their reply was quite frosty which leads me to believe they are evasive and don't like being questioned which in turn suggests they have something to hide.
    They did not comment on my request regarding certification which leads me to believe that these machines are not subject to examination and so Greyhound are at liberty to claim and charge for excess weights as they see fit either by design or if error.
    They deny offering different price structures and say all services in all areas are the same.
    They did however claim that their option offers / weights are based upon " much research and face to face discussions" with their customers. Perhaps this claim is an attempt to put a spin on their claims regarding the EPA.;)
    Out of interest has anyone here been surveyed or approached face to face by Greyhound. None of my friends, relatives or neighbours have.:confused:
    Not surprisingly they encouraged me to opt for Plan 1.
    I have also mailed the EPA requesting they verify or deny Greyhound's claim that its 25 and 20 kg max weights are based upon information provided by that body.
    Ps Another poster suggests he has been tied into Plan 1. Greyhound cannot make you take Plan 1. You can opt for whichever Plan you wish though I would caution paying them an annual fee in advance as the savings offered do not warrant same and they would most likely refuse to change your Plan as they might lose out.

Hitbit

hitbit wrote: »
    They deny offering different price structures and say all services in all areas are the same.

They did however claim that their option offers / weights are based upon " much research and face to face discussions" with their customers.

There is proof that they are offering different price structures, so it's pathetic to deny it.

I for one have not been approached, or contacted by Greyhound Recycling for any reason, other than the receipt of the letter outlining their plans. I suspect they did the research in a closed room, filled with greedy besterds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

We moved into our house in August, since then I've emailed and called Greyhound a few times seeking info and eventually agreeing to go with them.

I was waiting for 2 weeks for them to come and register my bins, leaving them out in the garden as per their advice, and nothing.

Eventually I got pissed off, called Oxigen, paid for collection till March 2013 and they dropped bins out within 2 days of the call.

First collection is due on Wednesday, so we'll see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Just moved into rented house in D9.
    Greyhound only had the one offer: €50/6months with €7 per black bin and €2 per brown bin. Have to email them with details if I want to go with them. From their timetable for my area it's collection every week, alternating black with green & brown bins.
    Oxigen had two offers available, either €14 per collection or €20 a month (first 3 months must be paid up front). Collections fortnightly, green and black at the same time.
    The bins at the house are greyhound but oxigen said they'd have their bins delivered in 3 to 7 working days. When we moved in the brown bin was full of… rubbish, non compost able stuff. The person I spoke to in greyhound is to call me back about what can be done about it (a but of hassle to get her to look into it). Have to say Oxigen gave a better impression over the phone, add that they are cheaper, I think I'll go with Oxigen.

Advertisement