Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bull beef 2019

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

blue5000 wrote: »
    Bulls should KO closer to 60% than 50%, so 600kg LW will give you a 360 kg CW. But the two sims will need 15kg a day, don't forget there is approx 15% moisture in meal, so if you're giving them 10kg fresh weight of meal they might only be getting 8.5 kg DM.

Are you using straw or silage as roughage?

Bucket fed one will not. I say at 600kgs LW fresh weight the WH will kill 310 and the SI and CH the same. Problem is the the CH and SI will only be FS 1+/2-. The WH should be ok FS. Most lads giving KO % are off empty stomachs. Another issue will be that the SI and CH will gobble 20-30% more meal/ day than the WH. Time is against him. They will gain 1.4ishkgs/ day on 10hgs of ration and straw.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

If they are not fit at the 16 month mark I’ll just take the hit and feed on for another month or 6 weeks and I’ll get them in as under 24 month bulls then. The simmentals only cost €150 as calves so they won’t leave too much of a hole in my pocket

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    If they are not fit at the 16 month mark I’ll just take the hit and feed on for another month or 6 weeks and I’ll get them in as under 24 month bulls then. The simmentals only cost €150 as calves so they won’t leave too much of a hole in my pocket

Another 40 days feeding at that stage will.be 500kgs of nuts. That is another 150 euro on nuts alone. you will also have the risk of acidosis. Make sure to feed 100 grams a day of limestone flour of there is none in the ration. What is tge make up of your ration and what P is it.

Slava Ukrainii

Another 40 days feeding at that stage will.be 500kgs of nuts. That is another 150 euro on nuts alone. you will also have the risk of acidosis. Make sure to feed 100 grams a day of limestone flour of there is none in the ration. What is tge make up of your ration and what P is it.

This is the nut im feeding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

A neighbour of mine if feeding bulls with small bags costing €320 a tonne (not sure what You are paying). A better ration can be got in bulk for €260. That’s at least €80 a head of a saving before you factor in a better thrive from the ration at €260.
    Finishing cattle is all about looking at costs even if you only have a few. You’d be better going with a bulk bag to a merchant rather than buying those bags.

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine if feeding bulls with small bags costing €320 a tonne (not sure what You are paying). A better ration can be got in bulk for €260. That’s at least €80 a head of a saving before you factor in a better thrive from the ration at €260.
    Finishing cattle is all about looking at costs even if you only have a few. You’d be better going with a bulk bag to a merchant rather than buying those bags.
    I’m paying €290 at the moment. Getting 3 ton in bulk delivered next week. Got them started off on small bags first just to make it handy knowing the weights building up to adlib

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

johnnyw20 wrote:
    This is the nut im feeding

Are you sure that ration is recommended for ad lib feeding

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Fair play to op for trying something he hasn’t done before.

Getting plenty of advice which will help and nothing like getting stuck into something and asking plenty of questions from people who are free to share their knowledge.

Tough times and trying something new is never any harm, even if you loose a few €€ you’ll learn allot for next time round.

I’ve learned lots from the few posts already here, know nothing about finishing as other than a few dat cull cows nothing here gets finished.

Hope they’re lucky for ya !

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Are you sure that ration is recommended for ad lib feeding

So they tell me anyway

Update on this for those interested

Weighted them today 510kg ave
    They were 440kg ave on 25 April so daily gain of over 3kg which is good going

Not 16 months till 7th August so a kilo a day would get them to 600kg so well on track

• Advertisement

Here is one of the bulls being finished. 14 months old today. Bought for €150 as a calf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Is the daddy simmental?

Muckit wrote: »
    Is the daddy simmental?

Yeah simmental. First sim I ever bought

Ran them over the scales this morning. 570kg ave. Happy out. 2.2kg daily rain since last weigh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Ran them over the scales this morning. 570kg ave. Happy out. 2.2kg daily rain since last weigh

That’s a great gain those bulls are doing brilliant. I’m just after killing a pen with another to go. Reading the early comments here I think it’s a bit off pessimistically. They’ll make the weight easily. Doubt it if they’d eat 15kgs I couldn’t get mine to. I don’t think I’ll do it again though. They work out about even with bullocks but you save grass. Meal is a killer though. I think there’s more pros with the bullock. I spent an hour solid trying to load them. Three of us. If that were a pen of bullocks I’d load them on my own at the same weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Sent my 3 off today.
    Ave 1515 each. Happy enough as they only cost ave 535 as weanlings. Don't know killout weights yet.

Sent my 3 off today.
    Ave 1515 each. Happy enough as they only cost ave 535 as weanlings. Don't know killout weights yet.

That’s a nice little profit. Were they off cows? Let us know the grading and killout when you find out

That’s a nice little profit. Were they off cows? Let us know the grading and killout when you find out

They were. Bought as 5mt olds off cows going to factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

They were. Bought as 5mt olds off cows going to factory.

Good going. What age did you kill them at? How much meal did they eat?

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Good going. What age did you kill them at? How much meal did they eat?

One was 16mts next week
    Second 15.5mts
    3rd 14.5mts
    Haven't calculated the meal quantity yet.
    Worked up to slowly to16kg per head per day since mid April when housed. Were on 2kg high protein mix all winter. They were housed once the bullocks were let out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭squinn2912

One was 16mts next week
    Second 15.5mts
    3rd 14.5mts
    Haven't calculated the meal quantity yet.
    Worked up to slowly to16kg per head per day since mid April when housed. Were on 2kg high protein mix all winter. They were housed once the bullocks were let out.

You did very well. I got another 4 away this week. U2’s and weighed up to round 400. They came into about £1300 sterling average I’ll look at it later and tell yous. 1.3 tonnes of meal in them and killing round 60/61%
    Aged 14-15 months with one just under 16 ( why I went early with 3)

Couldn’t have picked a worse year to do this but these lads are off to the factory tomorrow. I’ll update everyone how they grade etc and how much I get

Have initial price and grade for the 5 bulls. Ave weight 323kg with 3 rs and 2 O+

Think I done well for dairy calves which 2 were bought for €150. Just a pity about the price

Have initial price and grade for the 5 bulls. Ave weight 323kg with 3 rs and 2 O+

Think I done well for dairy calves which 2 were bought for €150. Just a pity about the price

If they were FS3's they would have averaged 1175 euro approx if there base was 3.55. If 2+ they be about 25/head less. how much ration did they eat and what were you paying per ton. If you had squeezed them and grassed them for 8 weeks they have weighted 450-480 kgs the start of June and made 850-900/head and no hauling meal. Did they eat 325/head of nuts, bedding another 10/head,. Slaughter and transport would be much the same as Mart and transport.

Slava Ukrainii

If they were FS3's they would have averaged 1175 euro approx if there base was 3.55. If 2+ they be about 25/head less. how much ration did they eat and what were you paying per ton. If you had squeezed them and grassed them for 8 weeks they have weighted 450-480 kgs the start of June and made 850-900/head and no hauling meal. Did they eat 325/head of nuts, bedding another 10/head,. Slaughter and transport would be much the same as Mart and transport.

Fat scores were 3- on two and 3= on two and the other was 2+ but I knew he was a bit under done but time was up on him. They are €310 each in ration.

It was the first time I ever finished animals. I hadn’t the grass or land to graze them for the second summer and if I was to sell them in March/April they would only have made €650/700 odd I’d say going on what others around me sold.

Overall I’m happy with how they turned out tbh. It’s my second year of reading calves as a hobby really as the main enterprise on this farm is horses. I’ve 5 more bulls that I will do u24 months coming up to Christmas and hopefully the price will be better. I didn’t want to go down the route of having bullocks a second winter as I havnt the space for them and I sold 17/18 month old bullocks last year for less than 800 in August and didn’t fancy that again. I reared heifer calves this year so they will he next years project of finishing and learning more about farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Fat scores were 3- on two and 3= on two and the other was 2+ but I knew he was a bit under done but time was up on him. They are €310 each in ration.

It was the first time I ever finished animals. I hadn’t the grass or land to graze them for the second summer and if I was to sell them in March/April they would only have made €650/700 odd I’d say going on what others around me sold.

Overall I’m happy with how they turned out tbh. It’s my second year of reading calves as a hobby really as the main enterprise on this farm is horses. I’ve 5 more bulls that I will do u24 months coming up to Christmas and [/b] hopefully the price will be better . I didn’t want to go down the route of having bullocks a second winter as I havnt the space for them and I sold 17/18 month old bullocks last year for less than 800 in August and didn’t fancy that again. I reared heifer calves this year so they will he next years project of finishing and learning more about farming.

Your some optimist anyways

Advertisement