Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Well, if the Limerick management are all that bothered about Cork, then they might have thought about fielding their strongest possible side.

That's what I was saying

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

I can't say I was overly impressed with Tipp yesterday - some fine stick work from the forwards for sure and very hard working around the middle. But thought the full-back line still very shaky - probably haven't been really tested this year yet but they're there for the taking.

Munster final should be a belter though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Another update from Twitter. Maher did his acl unfortunately

https://twitter.com/TipperaryGAA/status/1140923574565441536?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Massive losses - I hope there recovery is a success, especially Bonner - a horrible injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

marvin80 wrote: »
    Massive losses - I hope there recovery is a success, especially Bonner - a horrible injury.

big losses and hard to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Big loss, he was having a great season but it's also a big opportunity for someone to step up. I haven't been overly impressed with any of the under 21's that have been given the chance. I thought Morris struggled on Sunday. Cian Darcy and Mark Kehoe I think have the ability but we've little evidence on the field.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

First and foremost, I'm gutted for bonnar personally, all that hard work to get himself in such terrific condition and this is his reward, that's just cruel. He's so obviously important to our style of play that its going to be tough to replace him, but it has to be said we do have good attack options and would be great to see NOM back at some stage. If anything I think Cathal is as big, if not bigger loss, because we lack defensive cover (imo anyway) and on his current form he's the best corner back in the business. Thankfully it looks like he might just miss the one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

First and foremost, I'm gutted for bonnar personally, all that hard work to get himself in such terrific condition and this is his reward, that's just cruel. He's so obviously important to our style of play that its going to be tough to replace him, but it has to be said we do have good attack options and would be great to see NOM back at some stage. If anything I think Cathal is as big, if not bigger loss, because we lack defensive cover (imo anyway) and on his current form he's the best corner back in the business. Thankfully it looks like he might just miss the one game.

Agree 100% with this. Its tough on the lad as he has done a serious amount of work to get back to his best this year. Was skeptical of him myself in the earlier rounds, but he has been playing some great stuff. However, he isn't as irreplaceable as other years I feel. We have been much better in the forwards at winning dirty ball and getting in opposition players faces as a unit this year. Niall O Meara or Dan would be my 1st choices to replace him in the forwards. Both are good ball winners, but Niall is a better scoring threat. Any word on his injury?

Regarding Barrett though, if there is any doubt I'd nearly prefer not to risk him for the Munster Final. He makes that full back line much more solid. We will need him fit for the All Ireland series possibly starting with a Quarter Final vs Dublin if we lose in 2 weeks.

Its worth noting though lots of other teams have been hampered by injuries this year. Cork have been without Colm Spillane, Kilkenny without Buckley, Eoin Murphy etc. Galway with Canning. We just have to get on with it. I'd be surprised if no other team gets an injury to a key player between now and the end of the championship tbh.

Regarding game Sunday, was a damned if we do and damned if we didn't win I thought. Definitely showed we have learned how to cope with Limericks system by pressing them on there half back line to make them hurry clearances. Also did seem to learn to stop their half forwards winning puck outs as easily as the game went on. Limerick probably will be slight favourites for the final given they have 1 or 2 to come back while we may have 2 key players out. Think they will be disappointed that their fringe players did not make any real impression on the game. For ourselves, lots of frees conceded and we hit some poor wides. I know it is hard to read into as it was a dead rubber in ways, but these seem to be the re-occurring themes over all our games so far.

It is also worth noting that immense credit is due to the team for turning it around from where they were 12 months ago. 2 totally different teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I’d be inclined to agree re Barrett being a bigger loss. I’ve said it before here...our fb line is our most vulnerable one. We’ve managed to avoid being found out there so far. The lads who’ve played 4 for us so far have been free machines:

I’d also be a bit worried with our squad. There’s some nailed on starters bar injury, callanan, mc grath, bubbles, forde.....there’s 2 spots up for grabs ( o Meara and Dan) haven’t seen much from our panel to challenge that.

For all the talk of our panel being strong I think we’re weak enough. Byrnes’s pass straight to a limerick fwd that resulted in a score was head in the hands stuff

Biggest positive from the weekend was galways elimination. I’d fancy us beating anyone on our day.....though limerick in the Gaelic grounds could be a bridge too far..

Personally i think our full-back line is doing fine. Conceded one goal in round robin and if you include League, for what its worth, they haven't conceded more than one goal in any of their 10 competitive matches this year (excluding munster league that is). Yeah, a bit ropey when Barrett went off last sunday, but in mitigation i think Paidi drifted upfield a bit more, as Hayes kept going deep, and lads behind were a bit more exposed because of it. I dont think Limerick have better full backs, but they get good cover from Hannon when he's playing. All full back lines need that.

It's definitely a fair question about our panel. There's no doubt there's serious talent in reserve in the shape of Browne, Kehoe, Byrne et al, but how ready those guys are for cut and thrust of senior championship is hard to say. Not everything went for Jake last week, but i thought he did ok myself, twas a good education for him. I think i'd throw in one of Browne or Kehoe for Munster final if i had my way, but even going back to his first stint, Liam does maybe tend on the conservative side when it comes to selection so wouldn't be holding my breath on it. Thats not meant as a criticism in any way, he's doing what he believes is the best for our all ireland winning prospects and thats perfectly alright with me.

• Advertisement

Tbf I think nearly every manager in every code tends to be labeled ‘conservative ‘ at some point. Nobody wants a pasting I suppose. There’s a major opportunity for our panel to step up with The injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

With Bonner gone for the year the form of Dan and Niall who are 2 of our most experienced forwards will be vital if we're to have a chance of winning a Munster Final nevermind an AI. Barrett will miss the MF at the very least so the likes of O'Brian and Flynn will hopefully provide sufficient cover until Barrett regains fitness.

Lads, anyone here used the "Bring A Friend" option for season tickets?
    Can't find any info on it on the website, does it kick in just for the All Ireland series or anything? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp 77

Its not available for the Munster final. If a game is expected to be a sell out they withdraw it. I have used it for All Ireland semi finals a few times. The only problem is you usually end up at the end of a stand. You don't get a decent middle area seat
    Ompala wrote: »
    Lads, anyone here used the "Bring A Friend" option for season tickets?
    Can't find any info on it on the website, does it kick in just for the All Ireland series or anything? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I like Flynn so not thrilled to see him dropped but to be fair, there's probably not a lot between a few of those guys. Changes no harm to keep the thing ticking over. Jake will be chomping at the bit to prove himself so happy to see him in there.

It would appear from the selections to date that Sheedy prefers O'Brien in the games where a man marker is needed and Flynn gets the not against opposition that will play a sweeper. Obviously with Barrets absence Sunday both will most likley play

Pogue eile wrote: »
    It would appear from the selections to date that Sheedy prefers O'Brien in the games where a man marker is needed and Flynn gets the not against opposition that will play a sweeper. Obviously with Barrets absence Sunday both will most likley play

Yeah, that's a fair observation on the 4 games so far alright. Flynn doesnt seem all that different to Barrett to me, in the way he wants to get out in front and play the ball, but Barrett is also a good tight marker and well able to subdue bigger corner forwards. Flynn doesnt have that in the locker yet, a bit loose and probably a bit light. Have to see how they cope as a unit next week.

Tipp 77 wrote: »
    Its not available for the Munster final. If a game is expected to be a sell out they withdraw it. I have used it for All Ireland semi finals a few times. The only problem is you usually end up at the end of a stand. You don't get a decent middle area seat

Thank you, much appreciated. Nearly had a Galway woman shouting for Tipp on Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp 77

You can't just come to the semi final instead!
    Ompala wrote: »
    Thank you, much appreciated. Nearly had a Galway woman shouting for Tipp on Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Copied and pasted from elsewhere i got a laugh from it.

"On Sunday morning the influx of Tipperary hurling fans into Limerick City will begin. As most have their Christening money, staying overnight is not an option. So all along border towns where the 1980's becomes 2019, the Blue & Gold army will traverse from the Game of Thrones era to modern Ireland. There is a misguided perception that some Tipperary fans drive 1970's Ford Cortinas with cassette tape players blasting out Susan McCann's 'Blanket on the ground'. The truth is most of them do. For Limerick and Tipperary people, hurling is a way of life but make no mistake, this is a David & Goliath clash. Tipperary with 27 All-Ireland's, 42 Munster titles, 19 National Hurling Leagues face minnows Limerick with 8 All Ireland's, 19 Munster titles and 12 National Hurling Leagues. In true James Bond style, they gave us the evil Babs Keating and we gave hurling Richie Bennis. They have tin foil sandwiches and we have Donkey Ford's. They are coming to conquer, make no mistake about that.

Nightmare Stuff
    The worst championship experience ever at the hands of Tipperary was 1991. As they dished out a beating to us in Thurles, John Leahy got a ball near where the sideline at the old stand meets the town end line. With Tipperary over ten points up, he curled the most beautiful shot over the bar. The place went nuts. Straw hats, tin foil, brake fluid and small babies were thrown into the air as the Premier marched relentlessly towards the Liam MacCarthy Cup. Along the way Limerick have taken punishment at their hands. A young spritely Ciaran Carey was inspirational at wing forward in the 1989 Munster semi in Cork. A young and fresh Limerick went in at half time 1-7 apiece. Rumour has it that Babs told a story about being overcharged for a 'knobba black puddin' in Limerick City one day and the Tipp lads tore Limerick to shreds in the second half. The final score was 4-18 to 2-11. The era between 1984-1993 was hard to watch.

Famine
    What most younger hurling fans don't realise though is the mighty sandwich eaters went ten years without a championship victory. Limerick beat Tipperary in the 1973 Munster Final and it wasn't until 1983 when they beat Clare in Limerick, that Babs' babies won another game. As a young lad, I was at that game and witnessed the outpouring of emotion when Tipperary beat Clare 2-11 to 1-11. One woman confessed to keeping her son back from first holy communion until Tipp finally won a game. Little Jack, now 17 and an electrician, could take his place with the schoolkids the following week. Tipperary as a county flourished after that win. Local bread manufacturers reported a 5000% rise in sliced pan sales. Shares in cling film sky rocketed and blue and gold rosettes were handed out at mass. Great times to be a Tipperary fan.

The nineties
    Limerick had a great team in the 1990's but ended the decade with no all-Ireland's. Tipperary had a relatively poor decade but ended with one. The Green & White triumphed in the 1992 National Hurling League Final as well as the 1995 & 1996 Championship meetings. But by 1997 Tipp were back to winning ways and usually when they win, it is by a big score, when we win it is a close run thing. As one Tipp lad said to me 'arrr floor is yuuur seeelin'. When I pointed out to Mick Pat that he lived in a bungalow he looked perplexed.

The 00's
    Nicky English set about expelling all arrogance from the Tipperary mindset. As Manager in 99 he had gone close to beating Clare and in 2000 Tipp fell just short in the quarter final to Galway. 2001 was Tipp's perfect year winning 18 and drawing 1 of the games they played. Tipp played with an honesty, as though every player had gone to confession and told of the sins they'd committed. 'Faddder I kished a Limerick girl one night and never phoned her again hee hee'. Tipp beat Limerick in a classic Munster Final in July. Both teams had chances to win it but Declan Ryan's strength proved to be the difference between the teams. After beating Wexford in the semi final they got past Galway in the final. Again the flood of joy was something to behold with Tipperary town rocking to the tunes of Bon Jovi. When local youngsters started chanting 'Def Leppard' council offiicials phoned Dublin Zoo for advice, thinking there was an alert of some sort. As good a hurling team as Tipperary were, they couldn't win the famous trophy back again that decade. The trilogy of games between Limerick & Tipp in 2007 captured the imagination of the public. Ultimately Limerick would lose the All-Ireland final but what a year it was from Richie Bennis' men. Limerick were Limerick - fine hurlers, fine teams, but couldn't stitch it all together. More's the pity. 

The 10's
    The decade started with Liam Sheedy's men producing the most wonderful all Ireland performance of all to stop Kilkenny's quest for five in a row. Just like Nicky English in 2001, Sheedy's third year at the helm proved fruitful. Lar Corbett set the tone early on with a super goal and finished with 3-3. Whisper this quietly but when he scored his third, the Limerick pub I was in actually cheered for Tipp. I didn't see any stripper in the place so I'm pretty sure it was actually a chant in admiration of our near neighbours. Still after all this brilliance though Tipperary's fans refused to eat in normal fast food joints and gathered at the boot of their Skodas to wolf sambos and warm their faces in fleshly open flashks-o-tae. Tipp didn't follow up on that win and in 2014 Limerick beat Tipperary in championship hurling in Thurles for the first time since 1973. TJ Ryan's men inspired by Shane Dowling and Donal O'Grady produced a classic late victory. Limerick ended the season with an epic 2-13 to 0-17 loss to Kilkenny in the Croke Park rain while Tipp took the cats to a replay before also succumbing to Cody's Charges.

In 2016 Tipperay were rightly asking themselves two questions. (i) Why can't this excellent band of hurlers follow up an all-Ireland win with repeated success? (ii) why do we love eating ham sandwiches? The second one there goes alongside Jimmy Hoffa, Lord Lucan and Shergar but the first was solved by Micheal Ryan. Tipperary simply swept Kilkenny aside in the All-Ireland final. I travelled to the game with my brother and there we sat, two lads, Limerick to core as we listened to what seemed like a Bookmaker's office on steroids. 'Tipp, tipp, tipp, tipp, tipp'. Jesus Christ repeat that a thousand times and you'd be fit for vodka. But credit to them, Tipperary were fantastic and seeing players like Seamus Kennedy locating his family in the crows for photos brings home just what hurling means to people in this part of the world.

No self-respecting sports article could ever be complete without mentioning 2018. The most beautiful year of hurling with the best team winning the best competition with the best hurling. I'm not biased, but Christ Limerick were brilliant. Any team who beats Tipperary, Cork, Kilkenny and Galway to win Liam MacCarthy deserve saintly status. As most Limerick people know, the injury time in the final was cruel. Imagine your first pint after lent or getting your first Pirelli calendar when you are 18. Multiply that by a million, add the Donkey Ford's challenge (fish, chip, 4 battered sausages & a canna shtuff) and that is about 10% of what it felt like to be crowned all Ireland champions after 45 years. But that is the past and now comes Sunday ……………

Leads
    History suggest that if Limerick go behind to Tipperary we can pull the game back. We did it in the 1981 Championship, going thirteen points down, forcing a draw and winning the replay. We did it in the 1992 National Hurling League Final, going nine points down and winning a goalless game by one. We also famously did it in 1996 when Tipp led by ten points at half time before Frankie Carroll came off the bench and scored the equaliser allowing Limerick win the replay with Owen O'Neill kicking in goals as quick as a ham & cheese disappears in Clonoulty …………

Little Known Fact 1
    In 1980 Mossy Carroll played in the All-Ireland Final for Limerick. In 1981 he had transferred to Tipperary and played in the draw and replay against Limerick. If a player transferred from one to the other today it could lead to social unrest. Swapping the beautiful Green & White for the Blue & gold is such a serious offence that you'd lose access to the Chicken Hut, Thomond Park, you'd have to give back any Rubber Bandits media that you have.

Little known fact 2
    A Tipp man I know who plays with a non-Tipp Town club, was recently chatting to a girl on Tinder. He asked her where she was from and she said 'Tipperary Town'. He told me 'I didn't think they had technology down there'. If people from county Tipperary are saying that about people from Tipperary Town, it speaks volumes. I just hope for both their sakes their marches, banners and protests do bring them electricity across the county and they can continue with a blossoming relationship.

Sunday
    The final game in the Munster Championship round robin series was somewhat of a shadow boxing contest. All-Ireland champions Limerick were in the home of hurling and Tipperary didn't want to lose this one. It is difficult to know if both sides went at it with the vigour they can produce. Sunday is mouthwatering. We welcome a team with a 100% championship record so far without the superb Patrick Maher. Maher's work rate for Tipperary has been a launching pad for success for many a year. It was genuinely disappointing to see such a great player get a serious injury and sincere best of luck to him in his recovery. For Limerick, a number of players should be restored which will make this a different game to the Thurles slugfest. The prospects of losing are sickening. Tipp FM will probably raise their transmitter 40 ft higher into the air to reach all parts of Limerick. Babs Keating will probably claim that he masterminded the victory and Niall Quinn will appear out of nowhere on the terrace with a Tipp shirt. 

Bucket there please .....

Verdict
    Despite all the slagging between the counties, Tipp fans are just like us. They want their team to do it, we want Limerick to crush them so bad they give a bye to their quarter final opponents out of embarrassment. But this is hurling, the greatest game in the world. May the best team (Limerick) win.

Luimneach Abú"

Barrett starts!

Tipp Team v Limerick: Hogan Barrett Barry OBrien B Maher P Maher R Maher Breen N McGrath Forde ODwyer McCormack J McGrath Callanan Morris

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Barrett starts!

Tipp Team v Limerick: Hogan Barrett Barry OBrien B Maher P Maher R Maher Breen N McGrath Forde ODwyer McCormack J McGrath Callanan Morris

Liam really wants to win every game doesn't he?! Am relieved Barrett is fit to hopefully contain Gillane again. Its the one area we're just that bit short. Very hopeful we can keep the run going, though have to admit, i wouldnt have minded another change or two.

I hope their not risking Cathal, hamstrings are a bastard and sometimes it's best to err on the side of caution. Worst case scenario we're in an all Ireland quarter final against Dublin.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Dunno....but i'd be amazed if they were taking a risk like this in a game that isn't do or die. I imagine there's fairly stringent fitness tests and Barrett passed them, seems like a fairly professional set up to me.

True but I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of changes before throw in.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

True but I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of changes before throw in.

Exactly! Will Barrett start though??

digzy wrote: »
    Exactly! Will Barrett start though??

I'd doubt Sheedy would start Barrett if he Wasn't 100%. Hamstring is a funny 1 in that you might think you're fine until in the heat of battle.

O'Meara on the bench, if he's fully right I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted in.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'd doubt Sheedy would start Barrett if he Wasn't 100%. Hamstring is a funny 1 in that you might think you're fine until in the heat of battle.

O'Meara on the bench, if he's fully right I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted in.

Morris lucky to get another chance..

digzy wrote: »
    Morris lucky to get another chance..

Yeah, O'Meara hasn't featured since our first game against Cork where he was outstanding. Would have preferred him instead of Morris starting as he is more physical and a good ball winner. Think Morris is one for the future, has all the ability but needs time to settle. He is still Under 20 this year tbf.

Agree regards Barrett though, if he is not 100% don't play him, there will be bigger days ahead regardless of Sundays result and he is needed in the full back line.

I'd agree Barrett may not yet start, could be they are just giving him the extra day to prove himself 100% match fit. But i dont think sheedy is in the business of the dummy teams business, so i think they must estimate his chances of making it to be high if they are giving him that opportunity.

Not inclined to agree about Morris. If Niall isn't fully ready to start, then Jake is obvious choice for me. I dont believe he is one for the future, i think he's one for now and all these games are bringing him on. Not everything gone for him so far it has to be admitted, but i like his style and think he fits in perfectly with the fluid, free formation the forwards are using this summer. If its between him and Willie Connors for a starting place, i'm on Morris every time. Wouldnt even have minded to see Kehoe thrown in there, but on balance i just think Morris is the call right now.

• Advertisement

Anyone listen to babs the other night on the GAA Hour? Wasn't giving much away anyway!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement