Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meath v Dublin El Classico of Gaelic Football

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Saw Menton few years ago, didn't know anything about him and he was standout player in a star-studded Sigerson match so good to see him producing at intercounty.. Roscommon father too like Conor Cox :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It says it all about football if this is the best matchup

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I've no doubt that we're playing the best football we have in years, Sonny. I just feel that we're still making too many silly mistakes (we had a huge number of passes going astray against Laois). We also tend to go for far too long in games without scoring. In Ballybofey, for example, I don't think we scored in the last 20 - 25 minutes in a game we should have won. Similarly in the league final, we scored 1-6 in the first 15 minutes. We scored the same amount in the next 55 minutes.

We may be able to make these silly mistakes and get away with not scoring for long periods against the likes of Laois or other division 2 teams. But better teams like Donegal will punish us. And we haven't faced a team like Dublin yet. They will mercilessly take advantage of these.

We are gradually improving at underage level. Now the tough part is to continue to produce better quality young players and, even tougher, keep them interested enough to continue to commit to the U20 and senior teams. I fear that the way Dublin are going, young players in other Leinster counties especially will be of the opinion that there's no point in putting their lives on hold for no chance of an glory thanks to the behemoth that is Dublin. We've seen it already with the likes of Ronan Jones and Donal Lenehan leaving the panel this season. I know other players in Meath who have pretty much given up playing football altogether and have moved to other sports (whether that's temporary or not, I'm not sure).

I'll be there on Sunday despite misgivings on paying €35 for watching a Dublin training match. And I'll be supporting them, but I just cannot see any possibility of a competitive game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I'll be there on Sunday despite misgivings on paying €35 for watching a Dublin training match. And I'll be supporting them, but I just cannot see any possibility of a competitive game.

They have a Meath and Kildare junior match on beforehand at 1:45 that is not going to make people go in early either
    Wouldn't you think they would put something innovative on?

Like a match between the teams from the 1989 Leinster final,
    Donations to charity at the gates etc.

Or 1999 Leinster football final 're-match' if those from 1989 deem themselves too crocked.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Thanks for ur comments rpurfield.

Yes games in the 00s and up to very recently were very competitive exception 2010. But 2005 , two games in 2007, 2009 , 2012 and 2013 were competitive games.. It is only under Jim Galvin and the four in a row winning team that Dublin started to hammer Meath and I suspose everyone else. Games in 2014 and 2016 were record defeats for Meath especially 2014. But its only very recently Meath v Dublin games became very one sided in terms of Dublin dishing out big hammerings.

I'd forgotten about 09 actually. Was it that game or the 07 one where Caoimhin King was played full forward? Whichever one it was it was part of the reason we were bet, he was a good player but not a full forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

They have a Meath and Kildare junior match on beforehand at 1:45 that is not going to make people go in early either
    Wouldn't you think they would put something innovative on?

Like a match between the teams from the 1989 Leinster final,
    Donations to charity at the gates etc.

Or 1999 Leinster football final 're-match' if those from 1989 deem themselves too crocked.

Lyons would have made a great pundit :)

I suppose, an exemplar of the old adage: "walk softly and carry a big stick." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sonny678

rpurfield wrote:
    I'd forgotten about 09 actually. Was it that game or the 07 one where Caoimhin King was played full forward? Whichever one it was it was part of the reason we were bet, he was a good player but not a full forward.

Yep 2009. I remember it well. There was only a score between the teams in 2009 and..In last 5 mins king gets the ball in front of the goals and he didnt know what to do. He was like a rabbit in the headlights. Excellent wing back but not a full forward.

I've no doubt that we're playing the best football we have in years, Sonny. I just feel that we're still making too many silly mistakes (we had a huge number of passes going astray against Laois). We also tend to go for far too long in games without scoring. In Ballybofey, for example, I don't think we scored in the last 20 - 25 minutes in a game we should have won. Similarly in the league final, we scored 1-6 in the first 15 minutes. We scored the same amount in the next 55 minutes.

We may be able to make these silly mistakes and get away with not scoring for long periods against the likes of Laois or other division 2 teams. But better teams like Donegal will punish us. And we haven't faced a team like Dublin yet. They will mercilessly take advantage of these.

We are gradually improving at underage level. Now the tough part is to continue to produce better quality young players and, even tougher, keep them interested enough to continue to commit to the U20 and senior teams. I fear that the way Dublin are going, young players in other Leinster counties especially will be of the opinion that there's no point in putting their lives on hold for no chance of an glory thanks to the behemoth that is Dublin. We've seen it already with the likes of Ronan Jones and Donal Lenehan leaving the panel this season. I know other players in Meath who have pretty much given up playing football altogether and have moved to other sports (whether that's temporary or not, I'm not sure).

I cannot really disagree with allot what u say Hammer. I just think next 3 years we will be stronger , I think evidence is there to suggest that . But ur point about players not committing is a massive problem for Meath and every county outside the top 3 or 4 counties.
    On Sunday I have little evidence to say we can put it up to Dublin , but just a gut feeling that we will. Its a big difference to 80s and 90s when we played Dublin and we expected to win every year and were hugely disappointed when we didnt.

Yep 2009. I remember it well. There was only a score between the teams in 2009 and..In last 5 mins king gets the ball in front of the goals and he didnt know what to do. He was like a rabbit in the headlights. Excellent wing back but not a full forward.
    That was when it came out afterwards that the referee's watch had stopped and he should have played and extra 4 or 5 minutes injury time (thanks to Mark Davoren's horrible injury). No clamber for a replay like there was 12 months or so later :pac:
    Caoimhin King at full forward was a bizarre experiment alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

It says it all about football if this is the best matchup

He's talking historically.

Up until the 2010's it really was a great great rivalry.

• Advertisement

He's talking historically.

Up until the 2010's it really was a great great rivalry.

Ya for about 2 or 3 decades. Like other rivalries that seem to be dismissed

Ya for about 2 or 3 decades. Like other rivalries that seem to be dismissed

The Meath and Dublin rivaley goes back more then 2 or 3 decades. There was great battles between Meath and Dublin in the 70s 80s 90s and 00s..Thats 4 decades. And in all those games with exception of 1995 there was only a point or two between both teams in all matchs. Thats incredibly competitive.
    And the Meath v Dublin rivalry goes back further to the 1940s 1950s and early 1960s. The battles between Kevin Heffernan and Paddy O Brien in the late 1940s and early 1950s were legendary. The rivalry begins in 1945 , but yes it does reignite in 1970s and in the 1980s and 1990s becomes the biggest rivalry in Irish sport with 1991 the highpoint.

The 4 games between Meath and Dublin in 1991 is the beginning of the modern gaa. The first game televised live hat was not an All Ireland semi final or final or a railway cup match was the 4th game in 91. First championship game not on a Sunday was the fourth game. It captured the attention of the nation
    . First time sponsorship on Jerseys was in the 4 games in 1991.

Attendances were plummeting in GAA in the early and mid 80s in the GAA..16000 turned up for All Ireland senior semi final between kerry and Armagh in 1982. The Meath v Dublin rivalry in the late 80s and early 90s kick started a rise in interest and attendances in the gaa. With over 200000 attending the 4 games in 91. And with Italia 90 people thought the GAA was under massive threat. Many felt that the 4 games in 1991 was massive in keeping the gaa popular after Italia 90. And from the 4 games on gaa popularity goes thru the roof with Ulster teams winning Sam and Clare and Wexford winning liam. 1991 4 games between Meath and Dublin is the landmark moment , the pivotal moment in modern gaa . Modern gaa begins in 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The Meath and Dublin rivaley goes back more then 2 or 3 decades. There was great battles between Meath and Dublin in the 70s 80s 90s and 00s..Thats 4 decades. And in all those games with exception of 1995 there was only a point or two between both teams in all matchs. Thats incredibly competitive.
    And the Meath v Dublin rivalry goes back further to the 1940s 1950s and early 1960s. The battles between Kevin Heffernan and Paddy O Brien in the late 1940s and early 1950s were legendary. The rivalry begins in 1945 , but yes it does reignite in 1970s and in the 1980s and 1990s becomes the biggest rivalry in Irish sport with 1991 the highpoint.

The 4 games between Meath and Dublin in 1991 is the beginning of the modern gaa. The first game televised live hat was not an All Ireland semi final or final or a railway cup match was the 4th game in 91. First championship game not on a Sunday was the fourth game. It captured the attention of the nation

Attendances were plummeting in GAA in the early and mid 80s in the GAA..16000 turned up for All Ireland senior semi final between kerry and Armagh in 1982. The Meath v Dublin rivalry in the late 80s and early 90s kick started a rise in interest and attendances in the gaa. With over 200000 attending the 4 games in 91. And with Italia 90 people thought the GAA was under massive threat. Many felt that the 4 games in 1991 was massive in keeping the gaa popular after Italia 90. And from the 4 games on gaa popularity goes thru the roof with Ulster teams winning Sam and Clare and Wexford winning liam. 1991 4 games between Meath and Dublin is the landmark moment , the pivotal moment in modern gaa . Modern gaa begins in 1991.

The 1991 games were the ones that pushed me to catch the GAA bug. Even though we were on the wrong side of the result I can still remember the excitement and how it got to the stage where a draw was the expected result every game.

I think Meath had a game every week until the final! Remember our Irish teacher was from Meath , he used the final agaisnt down (as Gaelige) the next year. Almost like he was trolling us!!!

Dublin were sponsored by Kaliber for the 1990 championship - always a great quiz question.

Not on the gensai's in 1990 though.

Kepak are always the ones I associate with Meath.
    I used to have a ritual of refusing to eat any Tayto crisps leading up to a Dublin v Meath game.
    I would feel much happier eating Tayto when the Royals were knocked out.

I didn't know the attendances were that low in the 1980's.
    It is mad to think that about 20 years later you would be lucky to get a ticket for Kerry v Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Drumpot wrote: »
    The 1991 games were the ones that pushed me to catch the GAA bug. Even though we were on the wrong side of the result I can still remember the excitement and how it got to the stage where a draw was the expected result every game.

I think Meath had a game every week until the final! Remember our Irish teacher was from Meath , he used the final agaisnt down (as Gaelige) the next year. Almost like he was trolling us!!!

'91 was my first year going to games. What a year to start, I remember the sheer novelty of the Saturday for the fourth game and the place lifting around me at full time. You couldn't be anything but hooked into the whole thing after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Those kepak Meath jerseys you would regularly see on winning streak !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

On holidays but really looking forward to the game. Even as a Dub I really hope it’s a close tough affair, it would be great to see Meath put it up to us and bring some fire back into Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

Belter of a game

Meath are back

Another Classic indeed. Meath are getting stronger :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Another Classic indeed. Meath are getting stronger

we need to spit Meath in two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

fergus1001 wrote: »

I know they were poor, but that's a bit harsh !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

fergus1001 wrote: »

They did, Meath and Westmeath, sure there would be nothin ya tell da grandkids about had they not done that.

To be honest I enjoyed it.
    Dublin had to break down Meath's gameplan. Meath were within striking distance for more of the game than many are who play the Dubs.
    It was nice to watch the lads trying to figure out the Meath puzzle heads up.
    But by the end Meath were the ones who looked puzzled.

At one stage I was hoping to keep Meath to no score!
    A bit disappointed that they did not - it would have made up for a lot of hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Meath came out to have a go, and had they brought their shooting boots it would have been competitive for a lot longer.

All teams have been overwhelmed in such a manner, and they won't be the last. Hope they recover for the qualifiers.

In fairness to Meath those conditions did not really suit thier gameplan, Conlon not as effective in conditions like that,
    He needed to be playing on a dry day, with quick low ball coming into him on the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

In fairness to Meath those conditions did not really suit thier gameplan, Conlon not as effective in conditions like that,
    He needed to be playing on a dry day, with quick low ball coming into him on the counter.

Wouldn't like to see the dubs on a dry day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

On a dry day we might have scored 10 but you would have scored 15 more. I can safely say if you're over the age of 60 you will probably never see Dublin lose to a leinster championship match ever again. Sad times for the province.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    On a dry day we might have scored 10 but you would have scored 15 more. I can safely say if you're over the age of 60 you will probably never see Dublin lose to a leinster championship match ever again. Sad times for the province.
    Sad times for football in general. The gap between Dublin and the rest just seems to grow every year. To illustrate that, Meath were 16/1 to win today in a two horse race. After Dublin’s All Ireland last year, Dublin were 11/1 to win every single All Ireland championship from 2019 until 2024 (i.e. to go on and do 10 in a row).

I’ve seen people mention that Donegal are Dublin’s closest challengers. But this is the same Donegal that Meath should have beaten once, if not twice, in the league. Donegal could possibly keep the score within 10 points but Dublin would still win at a canter.

RoyalCelt wrote: »

I would say things could change very quickly in about 5 years.
    All it take is a poor manager and the whole thing could fall apart.
    I am trying to soak it all up and just admire the play, this team won't last forever. And when I am an auld fella, people will still be talking about this team I think.

Sure even as a Dub I still shudder, when I think of those old Meath teams where an opposing team would not feel comfortable until they were 7 ahead of Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Donegal could possibly keep the score within 10 points but Dublin would still win at a canter.

And probably deserve to if they did.

A rather provocative yet humorous slant from the 42 site...

“Under par Dublin defeat Meath by 16 points to claim record 9th Leinster crown in-a-row”:pac:

Advertisement