Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assassins creed : origins or odessy

• 18-06-2019 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

How do these games differ and which is better

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Both are very good, but Odyssey is an evolution on Origins, and improves on it. That said, the locale is important - if you're interested more in Egypt than Greece, go with Origins, otherwise, watch a quick catch up on Origins story, and go into Odyssey. Personally, I got about 10 hours in Origins, didn't love it, but I've put about 70 hours into Odyssey and I still have a lot of DLC to get through.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Origins got boring for me pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

If the Egyptian setting interests you then go for Origins, if not Odyssey. Odyssey is a better game imo, better story, world to explore, better side stories and overall the gameplay is a bit better than from Origins from being the next AC to use the open world rpg format.
    The overarching modern day story is very limited in both Origins and Odyssey so you really dont need to know anything about previous AC games story to get whats going on in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I got bored of both, Origins got boring very quickly and Odyssey kept me going for a good bit, but still ended up getting bored to death before completing it.

I would say Odyssey is far better than Origins, i didnt like the story/characters in Origins, Odyssey's were more tolerable.

So if ya only want to play one of them, go with Odyssey.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

How does it compare to witcher3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

letsgo2018 wrote: »

Nothing compares to the Witcher 3, sure its the best game ever made...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Odyssey is fairly similar; not as good obviously but it is clearly influenced by it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Neither - I hate the franchise!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Why?

Just never liked them. Guess I just don't like stealth/assassination games.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Witcher 3 is overall a better game, especially when it comes to side quests but:

1. The combat is better in Odyssey
    2. The start of Odyssey is better than the start of Witcher 3. I found Witcher 3 pretty meh until after the Bloody Baron questline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Just never liked them. Guess I just don't like stealth/assassination games.

Then you should try Odyssey. While there are some sneaky assassin parts, you can go balls out combat on nearly everything, and it's extremely satisfying! I was actually lolling at the assassin parts, you can't 1 shot assassinate non-grunt enemies until later in the game once you're starting to get OP, and you've put a lot of points into the Assassination branch.

My 2 cents is they are both good games, Origins was the change from standard AC to RPG-ish, but Odyssey improved on every facet of it. Stunning world - the draw distance for a console game is astounding in this. Graphically extremely good (on console), the combat is fun and hard on the higher difficulties, and as long as you pick Kassandra you'll have a good time (Alexios feels forced).

At this point, it's a case of if you prefer Egypt/Greece or Athens/Sparta. Odyssey is quite a bit bigger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Loved odyssey. Origins I liked but lacked something for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Like PM says, Odyssey would be perfect for you because it all but abandons the old formula. Combat is the main focus with spell casting (I'm outright calling them spells because some of the abilities are ridiculous) and RPG elements. I would say Odyssey and Black Flag are AC games for those who do not like AC.

What if you've never played an AC game before? Odyssey best place to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

JimBurnley wrote: »
    What if you've never played an AC game before? Odyssey best place to start?

Black flag all the way! And you can pick up the ezio collection for fairly cheap. 3 great games imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Black flag all the way! And you can pick up the ezio collection for fairly cheap. 3 great games imo

This ^^^^^. Black Flag is still the best AC game by a nautical mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Venom wrote: »
    This ^^^^^. Black Flag is still the best AC game by a nautical mile.

Not really true anymore. Odyssey does basically the exact same sea navigation & battles plus has a good game on top of that. Tons of free content now including a mission creator which is kinda nuts when you consider that in a AAA game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Odessey is definitely the better game but origins is worth a play through imo just for the sheer beauty of ancient Egypt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

ERG89 wrote: »
    Not really true anymore. Odyssey does basically the exact same sea navigation & battles plus has a good game on top of that. Tons of free content now including a mission creator which is kinda nuts when you consider that in a AAA game.

Ah, but Odyssey has Greek shanties which just do not stand up to the pirate shanties! One of the best parts of Black Flag was sailing around singing along with your crew, which you can't really do in Odyssey.

I'd love if they re-did Black Flag, or make another pirate based one, but in the same vein as Odyssey.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ah, but Odyssey has Greek shanties which just do not stand up to the pirate shanties! One of the best parts of Black Flag was sailing around singing along with your crew, which you can't really do in Odyssey.

I'd love if they re-did Black Flag, or make another pirate based one, but in the same vein as Odyssey.

Black Flag also has Naval combat against forts on land, which were fairly tricky as it's harder to get in range and navigate around it rather than a smaller ship in open water.

But Odyssey is the better game overall imo. The on-land stuff is far, far superior in Odyssey and that is where you spend most of the time. Most of the Black Flag story missions on land were awful, and traversal on land is a lot worse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Blag flag is well worth a play through!

• Advertisement
Advertisement