Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

East Wall, Dublin 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Well the clamping and towing generally would just be people parking 5m from a junction, or on the odd occasion illegally parked on a pathway. I'm talking about church road, killane road, st Mary's road are all chock a block with parked cars during the weekday mornings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

if its get bad they'll introduce resident parking only if requested by the residents. I'm sure the council would only be too happy to oblige since they want to reduce car traffic in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Just noticed that there's a block of social housing to go up in the old Leech Paper factory (off North Strand beside Newcomen Bridge).

48 one bedroom and 12 two bedroom apartments.

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=2467/17&theTabNo=3

Cannot envisage them improving the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ladykangaroo

Are you sure it's social housing?
    While ugly like hell - to me the scheme looks more like developers' attempt to cash in on the crazy rents - at least that's my understanding of "built to rent" phrase and very vague explanation on how they are going to comply with Part V.

Are you sure it's social housing?
    While ugly like hell - to me the scheme looks more like developers' attempt to cash in on the crazy rents - at least that's my understanding of "built to rent" phrase and very vague explanation on how they are going to comply with Part V.

Definitely, especially when they look like this:

1XdBu4q.png

e40qL2u.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

DCC don't apply to DCC for planning permission; and they haven't built social blocks that ugly since the 1980s. I'm pretty certain no voluntary housing association is going to have "Capital" in their name

Are you applying woefully outdated prejudices here? Rather than doing any actual research?

L1011 wrote: »
    Are you applying woefully outdated prejudices here? Rather than doing any actual research?

kYeaGxM.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

blue_blue wrote: »
    kYeaGxM.png

Yes?

A "residential scheme" means a residential scheme; not social housing.

There is absolutely nothing in the planning application to even hint its social housing; and everything to suggest a block to be built to rent (like Kennedy Wilson do, etc). Again - are you just applying outdated prejudices here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Just bought a house in East wall. The intention is to eventually make over to D4. Short walk to work for both of us.

East wall has changed a lot from how I remember it back 25years ago.

I told the bank the property would be a family home, they still suggested that I. A few years I could rent it an buy somewhere bigger. Some bankers never really got back to reality

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭subpar

Site close to new Facebook Building on East Road up for sale , could accommodate up to 400 apartments

From todays Irish Times

Prime Dublin Docklands development Site for €27 million
    October 11, 2017 188 Views
    On the instruction of Duff & Phelps, Savills is marketing a rare development land bank of over 5 acres in Dublin’s North Docklands and is guiding €27 million.
    The sale is expected to attract the interest of residential & PRS (private rented sector) developers and funds, as securing a site with such scale and in such a central location is a real rarity in the Dublin land market.

This site presents a significant unconstrained street frontage onto East Road and are bordered to the north and east by existing residential enclaves. The property comprises a prominent site of approximately 2.10 ha (5.20ac). The terminus stop of the Luas Red Line service is within walking distance, delivering access to Connolly Rail Station and City Centre within 6 minutes, as is the Docklands Rail Station. The site is located close to The Point Village District Centre, a significant retail development comprising the Point Village Retail Centre, O2 Entertainment Complex and the Gibson Hotel. The proximity of these facilities to the site puts it at a significant advantage for any future development.

Under the Dublin City Development Plan 2016-2022, the subject property is zoned Objective Z14 (Strategic Development and Regeneration Areas). While there is no current planning permission pertaining to the property for future development, a feasibility study has been prepared to illustrate the development potential of the subject site, subject to planning permission. The site is envisaged as being suitable for primarily residential use, given the adjacency on three sides of existing residential use.

The feasibility study, prepared by Dublin’s leading architectural firm O’Mahony Pike illustrates the potential of the site to accommodate a scheme of approximately 400 apartments ideally suited for the Private Rental Sector subject to securing the necessary planning permission. In addition Ray Ryan of BMA Planning has also prepared a planning report on the development prospects for the site.

The property is currently occupied, however vacant possession is available by August 2018. This provides the purchaser with an opportunity to benefit from short-term income whilst seeking planning permission for a scheme of development.

According to Savills, prospective buyers will be provided with an opportunity to capitalise on an area undergoing significant change in the north docklands and also to tap into the pent up local demand for residential accommodation both to rent and purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

Nearly 15 years since I posted the original question here on this thread (I had a different handle then).

East Wall has changed alot in those years. I bought in the lighthouse apartments from the 1st phase in 2006 on the basis that yes, the area at the time, was a bit undernourished lets call it but the DAA at the time had some great plans to enrich church road and the surrounding areas and I could see a time when it became a bit like Ringsend in terms of modern development.

Saying that I never thought I would see the day when Facebook, Starbucks and East Wall could all fit in the same sentence but there you go.

While zero aspects of the original DAA plan has been implemented AFAIK, and I think even the DAA has ceased to exist (not 100% on this bit), but there has certainly been alot of development in the area and more to come I expect, the whole north quays now has the most cranes in the skyline - this is my very basic way of measuring development - so the future seems bright for this area.

For 10 years there was no tenant in the office blocks in front for example, now the EBS are there, alonside ALDI, LIDL, McDs, Starbucks, Spar etc. Spoilt for choice in terms of shops.

In terms of property prices, I'm wondering do people see further increases in property prices in the East Wall area. As context, I bought my apt in 2006 (at the height of the crazy) for 340k, in the interim, I have seen them drop as low as 180k. I'm guessing they are probably back around original prices or thereabouts now.

What are peoples thoughts on this? I know this is an open question but I just want to see what people that actually live in the area really think about property value in the area now and going forward.

Appreciate ur thoughts.

I think it would be interesting to do some stats on the property in the area, what type and size there are and where they are pitched, low end, high end.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

We bought our EW house for 320 in 2005. I think at the height of the market it was possibly worth 400 and it dropped to low 200s at the bottom. Right now, it's currently worth approx 350. I think any further increases will be very slow, and I could not imagine it going above 400 in the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

the house I rent was valued @ 500k in the boom,

can't see it getting back to that but ya never know,

some changes there since the start of this thread.

lovely place to live IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Interesting article in the Dublin Inquirer about the photo archive in Curtis Butchers in East Wall:
    https://dublininquirer.com/2019/06/12/how-a-butcher-amassed-a-photo-archive-for-east-wall

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

beauf wrote: »
    if its get bad they'll introduce resident parking only if requested by the residents. I'm sure the council would only be too happy to oblige since they want to reduce car traffic in general.

Just bumping this. As a resident. I don't want to see permit parking. I do however want to see speed bumps and some one way roads introduced to stop the constant short cutting by taxi's, trades vans.. and commuters. I live on Moy Elta and recently got a notification from TD re traffic calming. They advised the current speed limit for the road is 50kph (How on earth anyone can do that speed with two blind bends and cars either side is remarkable and unsafe). DCC will not be introducing speed bumps but will instead be making the entire area a 30Kph zone. I think this will achieve nothing as no policing in the area at all. I still have dreams of our road becoming 'one way' but may have moved on by then! :)

Is speeding an issue. You don't make that clear.
    Traffic has distinctly worsened in the last past year. Which is inevitable due to the all the new housing and business in the area.
    Also some time limited turns, which means everything backs up now.

beauf wrote: »
    Is speeding an issue. You don't make that clear.
    Traffic has distinctly worsened in the last past year. Which is inevitable due to the all the new housing and business in the area.
    Also some time limited turns, which means everything backs up now.

Yes speeding (certainly on my road I would say West road) is an issue. And I agree, traffic has worsened a great deal. The time limited turns are ignored. There is one at church road to Fairfield/Moy Elta (no -right turn) but It is not adhered to. As I mentioned nobody ever avail to enforce it and drivers know that. Same applies to double yellow lines on church road and disabled parking bays at Lidl/starbucks.
    Cheers. :)

Saw a sign in ALDI East Wall that they will be closed for renovations Monday 12th - Wednesday 14th August.

Re-opening Thursday 15th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Saw a sign in ALDI East Wall that they will be closed for renovations Monday 12th - Wednesday 14th August.

Re-opening Thursday 15th August.
    Anything new coming I wonder or just a rejig?

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »

I got the impression it was just a rejig but I must check it out when it re-opens.

Anyone know what the story is with the Petrol Station on Amiens Street? It closed yesterday with big signs thanking the customers.

Is someone else due to take it over? Being re-developed as something else? (There is speculation of a super hotel being built on that spot if the developers are able to buy Bord Failte next door). Nothing on the DCC planning system.

Hotel.

Seabank undergoing restoration works now I noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

blue_blue wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with the Petrol Station on Amiens Street? It closed yesterday with big signs thanking the customers.

Is someone else due to take it over? Being re-developed as something else? (There is speculation of a super hotel being built on that spot if the developers are able to buy Bord Failte next door). Nothing on the DCC planning system.

7 storey hotel going onto the petrol station site

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/sweeney-firm-given-green-light-for-32m-dublin-hotel-project-37886503.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

whiskeyman wrote: »

Head out to Aldi in Coolock, they’ve had the rejig for a while. All the same products but completely different layout.

L1011 wrote: »
    Hotel.

Seabank undergoing restoration works now I noticed

Another hotel? Petrol stations inside the city have all but died out. It's not like they're being replaced with electric charge points.

In other news, anyone know what was behind the car blaze on Fairfield ave 4am Sunday morning? Fire dept and cops down. Car was removed immediately too. DFB didn't respond to my inquiry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Alicano wrote: »
    Another hotel? Petrol stations inside the city have all but died out. It's not like they're being replaced with electric charge points.

Thats a good thing

Also the rumoured redevelopment of the bord failte HQ into a new super hotel(1000 rooms) is a completely different development to the one on the petrol station

That petrol station closed for redevelopment just before the crash and reopened after a few years. So it was on borrowed time anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

can anyone tell me exactly which building Facebook occupy in East Wall and where is it?
    i think it's near the Seabank house pub but not sure which building...many thanks

Advertisement