Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 Build Upgrade Project

• 05-06-2019 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I built my current rig in 2012. At the time I put it together from recommendations from this forum and Tom's Hardware.

I'm happy to say that 7 years later I'm still gaming and would like to breathe some new life into my build.

Current Setup
    Component|Model
    CPU|Intel i7-3770K CPU (4 x 3.50GHz, Ivy Bridge)
    GPU|EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 3GB DDR5, PCI-Express
    Motherboard|AsRock Z77 Extreme6
    RAM|16GB-Kit G.Skill Ares PC3-12800U
    SSD|Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5-inch Basic SATA
    Case|Corsair Obsidian Series 550D
    PSU|Corsair Gold AX850|

Other considerations:
    * Upgrade budget: ~€800 or less
    * Windows 10
    * Don't currently have a 4K or 144Hz monitor (but would like to upgrade later this year);
    * Games I'm currently playing: Witcher 3, PUBG.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and recommendations about what should be updated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Not really much wrong with that, to be honest. I'd slap the best GPU you can in there, maybe an AIO to get an OC on the CPU, and you're golden. Anything more will require a complete platform upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

New GPU. Your processor is still good. Even a £110 RX570 would be a monumental upgrade. I'd just throw in an 1660Ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I assume you have an aftermarket cpu cooler? Overclock the CPU, even a light overclock should give good results for you.

I'd recommend a 144Hz 1440p monitor over a 4k one, especially for gaming. Pair it with an RTX2060 and you've a solid setup for another few years.

Some example components below.

GPU: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2060-windforce-oc-6144mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1an-gi.html
    Monitor: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-aorus-ad27qd-27-2560x1440-144hz-ips-freesync-g-sync-tactical-gaming-monitor-hdmi-dp-mo-000-gi.html
    Monitor review: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/gigabyte_aorus_ad27qd.htm

Crazy that a 7-year old build can still be brought up to date with the exchange of a graphics card. Certainly a big and welcome change from the 90s and noughties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mgavin

Thanks folks for your great feedback. You've given me plenty to think about.
    Xenoronin wrote: »
    I assume you have an aftermarket cpu cooler? Overclock the CPU, even a light overclock should give good results for you.
    Thanks for the overclock suggestion Xenoronin. I don't have a cpu cooler yet but I've had the Noctua NH-D15S recommended to me for cooling. It's supposed to be quite good as air coolers go. I might pick up one of these and squeeze a few more Hz out of the CPU.

Also, something I didn't mention above, my PSU is also out of warranty (it's 7 years old). I believe it's best practice to use a power supply with a warranty in case it malfunctions and fries your system. I had borrowed a GTX 970 off a friend which led to issues powering on the system until I swapped back in the 660Ti, so I'm thinking that the PSU could be on the way out (or perhaps it was just a defective card).
    Either way I'm thinking that a PSU replacement might be in order and that the Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650W could be a good one.

In terms of GPU, either the 1660 Ti or the RTX 2060 would be a huge step up from where I am today and unlock 144Hz gaming. I'll probably go with the RTX 2060 in the hope that the upgraded system will last me a few extra years.

Finally, when I last bought components hardwareversand.de had good prices. Where is best to buy from todays that will ship to Ireland?

Again, thanks a bunch for all the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I think it's very much up to you on the PSU front, the SeaSonic one is top notch qualitywise. The old Corsair is a quality PSU too, it doesn't have many components that can wear out quickly: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/AX850/4.html
    Since you haven't been coming anywhere close to 850W load on this PC, nothing should have gotten hot either, which is the main degradation of capacitors. I think it likely that this PSU has a good 10 year lifespan in it (being conservative), and even overclocking won't put much of a strain on it.

Sounds like that 970 card was defective, or possibly not seated correctly. The 970 draws less power than a 660Ti (citation needed).

If you have the space for the Noctua cooler, they are really good. Grab some decent thermal paste too like the Arctic mx-4 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

hardwareversand.de went under, German sites don't really ship to Ireland anymore without some address changing intermediary. We generally recommend amazon, overclockers.co.uk, and some of the other UK sites, though do your research in advance. In terms of customer service, I've heard good things about overclockers.co.uk. I've used them a bunch of times without any issues, and will probably continue to do so, even if they aren't the cheapest.

Advertisement