Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So you are too old/fat/unfit/ *delete as appropriate* to play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

Didnt play gaa since I was 13 years old. 12 years later in New Zealand decided to play again just to get to know some Irish abroad. Enjoyed it, its a really great community abroad. Back home now, started playing football with local junior football team now, train with a senior team 20 mins away. Feels good to play again, still getting use to the pace of the game ( a lot quicker and intense than soccer), reading the game, keeping up the fitness, soloing at pace and tackling. Hurling area, have no real grá to pick up a hurl again but who knows 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭_brendand_

Round Towers Clondalkin have a team for Dad's.

Will be moving to West Dublin soon. I'm a bit under 40 and in decent enough shape but have never really played hurling at any level. Or is this a football team? If it's hurling I'd be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

_brendand_ wrote: »
    Will be moving to West Dublin soon. I'm a bit under 40 and in decent enough shape but have never really played hurling at any level. Or is this a football team? If it's hurling I'd be interested.

Football

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

The problem with playing GAA is it is all taken very seriously, I often considered playing reserves but no doubt you would have managers and team mates shouting at you when you make mistakes just like how it was at under-14, there are no rural teams you can join if you just want to have a non competitive game of football.

If you play reserves you have to train with the seniors too, being knocked about by men way out of my calibre is the last thing i would want to be doing in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

The problem with playing GAA is it is all taken very seriously, I often considered playing reserves but no doubt you would have managers and team mates shouting at you when you make mistakes just like how it was at under-14, there are no rural teams you can join if you just want to have a non competitive game of football.

If you play reserves you have to train with the seniors too, being knocked about by men way out of my calibre is the last thing i would want to be doing in the evening

Seems to be a more personal feeling than a widely accepted observation. Like its all based upon what you think it would be like.

Some people shout some people offer constructive criticism. And you play as competitive as you want. A lot of clubs the senior team and the junior team train together, its good for numbers and A vs B games, i think you have a different view point of what actually happens.

I was a poor player never played all my life and played junior and never felt i was knocked about, sure i got shouted at for stupid errors but tried to fix and got on with it. The benefits of playing in a team environment far outweigh what you have said. And its as serious as the level you play at. I had more of a laugh than anything

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

BKWDR wrote: »
    Seems to be a more personal feeling than a widely accepted observation. Like its all based upon what you think it would be like.

Some people shout some people offer constructive criticism. And you play as competitive as you want. A lot of clubs the senior team and the junior team train together, its good for numbers and A vs B games, i think you have a different view point of what actually happens.

I was a poor player never played all my life and played junior and never felt i was knocked about, sure i got shouted at for stupid errors but tried to fix and got on with it. The benefits of playing in a team environment far outweigh what you have said. And its as serious as the level you play at. I had more of a laugh than anything

I'm just going by memories i've had, I remember losing an U-14 final and was smiling at a joke in the changing rooms, a team mate wanted to know why I was laughing after losing.

I think reserves is taken seriously in my county too, there was a video this week of a brawl at a game. I wonder what playing reserves feels like though, it is basically players not old enough to be on the senior starting 15 yet and ex seniors who are too old for seniors, I would imagine it wouldn't be easy for someone like myself who viewed u-16 as difficult.

St James Gaels/An Caislean 2018

Club Name:St James Gaels/An Caislean
    Location:Iveagh Grounds,Crumlin Road/Drimnagh Castle School Long Mile Road.Areas recruit from:Walkinstown,Drimnagh,Crumlin,DolphinsBarn,Kimmage,Harold Cross,The Liberties,Kilmainham,Bluebell,Islandbridge,Inchicore
    Code (football): Gaelic Football
    Level played: (Junior D Championship/Division 11 South League)
    Contact details:stjamesgaels.com or axelf82@hotmail.com
    Any other info: St James Gaels are looking for looking new players for our Division 11 team. We are based southside in Crumlin in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 10 minutes from city centre.http://www.stjamesgaels.com/contact 27,56a,77a,151 buses directly pass the pitch. The Luas is a 10 minute walk from the pitch.
    We have excellent floodlight playing/training facilities- floodlite pitch, astro pitch and floodlite training area .

We will be starting training in early January and will train at least one night a week in Iveagh Grounds Crumlin Road. We are targeting players who haven’t played in a few years and who are looking to get back into football. The season starts in February and usually finishes up in October. Games are usually Thursday evenings or Sunday afternoons. We will have plenty challenge games in between league games. We also have Divison 7 for anyone looking to play at a higher grade.

We have a mix of players of youth and experience of players from the area and we also have players from all over the country. All are welcome to join and don’t worry if haven’t played for a few years as with a few training sessions you will be grand J. We also enjoy and organise many social events/fundraisers throughout the year(including end of season trip) so all welcome to play or even train. For more info please contact email: info@stjamesgaels.com or PM myself

http://www.stjamesgaels.com/contact
    https://www.facebook.com/StJamesGaels
    http://www.stjamesgaels.com/home/club-shop

Pre -Season will commence in January

Junior B contact
    cillianfoley@hotmail.com Killian

St James Gaels/An Caislean 2019
    Location:Iveagh Grounds,Crumlin Road/Drimnagh Castle School Long Mile Road.Areas recruit from:Walkinstown,Drimnagh,Crumlin,DolphinsBarn,Kimmage,Harold Cross,The Liberties,Kilmainham,Bluebell,Islandbridge,Inchicore
    Level played: Adult Football League 11 South
    Contact details:stjamesgaels.com or killianfoley@outlook.com
    Any other info: St James Gaels are seeking new members to join our club. We are interested in players of all abilities, first time footballers and players looking to get back playing again. Many of our players are first time Gaelic football players of all ages.
    We are based southside in Crumlin in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 10 minutes from city centre.http://www.stjamesgaels.com/contact 27,56a,77a,151 buses directly pass the pitch. Also 17,18,121,122,123,150 buses go near the pitch as well. The Luas is a 10 minute walk from the pitch.
    We have excellent floodlight playing/training facilities.
    This is our second team, we compete in Adult Football League 11 South, which is currently the lowest adult football league. Our first team compete in Adult Football League 7 and are also recruiting new players. Training for AFL11 team will take place on Monday evenings in the Iveagh Grounds. Matches are played on Sunday afternoons or Thursday evenings during the summer. The season runs from February to September.
    We have a mix of players of youth and experience of players from the area and we also have players from all over the country. All are welcome to join and don’t worry if haven’t played for a few years as with a few training sessions you will be grand.
    We also enjoy and organise many social events/fundraisers throughout the year. So all welcome to play or even train. For more info please contact email: info@stjamesgaels.com
    Contact - killianfoley@outlook.com

Gael85 wrote: »
    St James Gaels/An Caislean 2019
    Any other info: St James Gaels are seeking new members to join our club. We are interested in players of all abilities, first time footballers and players looking to get back playing again. Many of our players are first time Gaelic football players of all ages.
    We are based southside in Crumlin in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 10 minutes from city centre.http://www.stjamesgaels.com/contact 27,56a,77a,151 buses directly pass the pitch. Also 17,18,121,122,123,150 buses go near the pitch as well. The Luas is a 10 minute walk from the pitch.
    This is our second team, we compete in Adult Football League 11 South, which is currently the lowest adult football league. Our first team compete in Adult Football League 7 and are also recruiting new players. Training for AFL11 team will take place on Monday evenings in the Iveagh Grounds. Matches are played on Sunday afternoons or Thursday evenings during the summer. The season runs from February to September.
    We have a mix of players of youth and experience of players from the area and we also have players from all over the country. All are welcome to join and don’t worry if haven’t played for a few years as with a few training sessions you will be grand.
    We also enjoy and organise many social events/fundraisers throughout the year. So all welcome to play or even train. For more info please contact email: info@stjamesgaels.com

St James Gaels/An Caislean pre-season in Drimnagh Castle begins Sunday morning @11

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

brabantje wrote: »
    That might be useful - I work quite close to there. Cheers.

still looking? my club has a masters team and junior c team in kildare. 10mins from the n4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

i agree wholeheartedly. i note that gaa clubs have a "GAA for Mothers" training but nothing similar for men. If you are not in your prime 20s-early 30s, there is no opportunity.

Maybe i should try and set something up in my club, instead of moaning about it.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Haven't played sport since I was in school. Bad experiences soured it for me. Spent the past few years battling health issues. I've been advised to join a club but the problem is that my biggest interest is Gaelic games, specifically hurling. I'd love to be more involved in the sport in some capacity other than just watching the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I've been advised to join a club but the problem is that my biggest interest is Gaelic games, specifically hurling.

Don't see why that's a problem. Where are you based?

Celbridge. I just wouldn't where to begin or what to do. Downside of isolating myself for the past 4 or 5 years.

Celbridge. I just wouldn't where to begin or what to do. Downside of isolating myself for the past 4 or 5 years.
    I'd say the local club, if they're any good at all, will be delighted to hear from you, and you'll be glad you got involved as well. Are you interested in playing or getting stuck into helping the club out?

I'd say the local club, if they're any good at all, will be delighted to hear from you, and you'll be glad you got involved as well. Are you interested in playing or getting stuck into helping the club out?

That would be Celbridge. I'd start out by helping out. I haven't played before but I might try if they had a Junior B or lower team.

Yeah, if they don't have a level low enough they'll probably always be looking for players, if my experience is anything to go by

I'd get in touch with the club secretary and explain your situation and how you'd like to be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

I'm just going by memories i've had, I remember losing an U-14 final and was smiling at a joke in the changing rooms, a team mate wanted to know why I was laughing after losing.

I think reserves is taken seriously in my county too, there was a video this week of a brawl at a game. I wonder what playing reserves feels like though, it is basically players not old enough to be on the senior starting 15 yet and ex seniors who are too old for seniors, I would imagine it wouldn't be easy for someone like myself who viewed u-16 as difficult.

Go for it. 14 was a world away & if you don't like how you're treated but you're being defeatist. Go feel out some setups & find one that's a good fit. Have a bit of faith. Stop wondering & give it a go. Best of luck. Hope it works out.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

That would be Celbridge. I'd start out by helping out. I haven't played before but I might try if they had a Junior B or lower team.

Celbridge have a few teams afaik. If you get no luck drop me a pm, im in carbury and were always looking more lads on the 3rd team.

• Advertisement

St James Gaels/An Caislean 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

Hey lads. Any suggestions of a good team in limerick to join?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

Moon Dice wrote: »
    Hey lads. Any suggestions of a good team in limerick to join?
    Are we talking Limerick city? Hurling or football?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

David6330 wrote: »
    Are we talking Limerick city? Hurling or football?

Limerick City. Hurling really

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

Moon Dice wrote: »
    Limerick City. Hurling really

Monaleen, Na Piarsaigh, Crecora, Patrickswell, Mungret and Ahane have junior hurling teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CSHC

Interested in playing hurling in Dublin in 2020?

Civil Service Hurling Club have 2 teams and are always on the lookout for new players of all abilities who are interested in playing hurling. The club offers plenty of opportunities to play regular games with over 40 games played across league and championship last year.

In line with our club motto “A Country Club in the heart of the Capital”, players have joined us from all corners of the country from Cork to Donegal. If you have just moved to Dublin or haven’t played in years, there is a place for you.

Located in the War Memorial Gardens, Islandbridge, Dublin 8, our club grounds are ideally located just a stone’s throw away from Heuston Station.

Please send us a message or contact any of our social media accounts below to get involved with training recommencing in January.

Facebook - Civil Service Hurling Club
    Twitter - @CServicehurling
    Instagram - @civilservicehurlingclub

Pre-season training starting back tomorrow@7-30

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Lads,

26, will be 27 this year.

Played football for the club in Tyrone from 5 the whole way up to minor. Bowed out as captain of championship & league double winning team.

Struggled with the move into senior ranks. Reserve/junior games on sundays were cancelled more often than not after sitting in all weekend and training hard. We had an old contingent of players we hung on to too long and denied bringing young lads through.

Like many lads I went to Oz for a year, then america. Now living in Dublin for 2 years.

My 3 closest clubs are: St. Brigid's Castleknock/Blanch,
    St Oliver Plunkett's off Navan road, Ashtown & Cabra.
    Castleknock,
    St. Brendan's Grangegorman (a lad in work tried to get me to head out with them)
    Although I live in ashtown/royal canal park so I'm sure there are plenty of other clubs in glasnevin and finglas.
    I'm working in Ashbourne Mon-Fri as well, not sure about their club.

If there was ever a man that made excuses, and talked about going out to training - it's me! The younger brother is now playing for the club up at home and it hurts me that I may never get to play with him for the club senior team unless I move back in a couple of years, he's 19.

Anyway - I've got as far as texting the Oliver Plunketts and Caastleknock coaches of the 2nd/3rd team. But I haven't went.

Training has been 9pm on Tues & Thurs nights.

I don't know what it is, keep telling myself I'm not fit enough, I've put on about 2 stone in the last few years and have a bit of a belly!. Was always a big strong lad in at the edge of the square or in midfield, I had good feet and 6ft 1, very stocky, but wouldn't be agile enough for midfield or any half back positions nowadays. Running was never my strong point no matter how fit I got myself. i thought I'd be a good adapter to the rugby but I never got as far as going to it. And I find it hard to get passionate watching rugby.

I know the years are passing by, it's the fear of the unknown I suppose, but I don't have much of a network since moving down to dublin. I need to branch out and mix with other lads and stop clinging onto the 3/4 northerners I know, plus it'll get me away from the girlfriend in the apartment a bit! It's more so for the social thing and enjoyment, as I work a stressful QS job in construction.

To be brutally honest, it's the coming home from work after a long day, pissing rain, knowing that you've to get up again and head over to a pitch after 7:30/8pm at night.

That's why I've loved the whole gym thing in the last couple of years, going in the morning before work or straight after work on your own terms. But when you're watching your native county or any football on the TV you're sitting on the edge of your seat wishing you were back at it. It's a complete lack of self confidence and esteem I suppose! And the fear of being at the back of the drills because you're f*cked after the warmup!! :eek: :o

I've said it to the girlfriend more times I'll go out, and I never do. I always make an excuse every tuesday/thursday night. The managers have text me 2/3 times trying to lure me out and I've not replied, I'm my own worst enemy.
    I've tried rugby and soccer but nothing gets your passion as much as your native sport you grew up playing.

The days of just turning up for a game for the juniors at the weekend seem well gone too!! I do like the fact that in Dublin the clubs seem to play a lot of games midweek or on saturdays, so you're whole weekend doesn't depend on the game.

Apologies for the rant!! I just need a good kick up the hole. It's been on my mind for a long time. I went as far as driving to training one night a couple of weeks ago, and turned round when I got there out of pure fear and oddness.

St James Gaels/An Caislean 2020 are south side not to far from you. Train Tuesday and Tuesday 7 30 in Iveagh Grounds. Most game are sunday afternoon. They have a Division 11 team.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

St James Gaels/An Caislean 2020 are south side not to far from you. Train Tuesday and Tuesday 7 30 in Iveagh Grounds. Most game are sunday afternoon. They have a Division 11 team.

Gael85 is online now Report Post

Cheers! Maybe a wee bit far from me in Ashtown, google mapped it and I've to go through city centre or M50. Whatever way I looked at it could be 30 mins especially getting there for 7:30.

Advertisement