Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volvo fuel cap seal

Options
  • 19-06-2019 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I might source a rubber seal for the petrol cap of a Volvo S60. Ring itself has inner dimension 44mm, outer diameter 54mm and 5mm thick such as in the pic below:
    fullsize_7808.jpg

Have tried a few motor factors in the Dublin 7 and 15 regions to no avail. They didn't even sell universal caps any more that I could try swapping over the seal from. Nothing on ebay/amazon on this side of the Atlantic either that I could find. Do you literally have to resort to buying a new petrol cap from a Volvo dealer in such circumstances?
    The existing seal is a little weathered with a few small cracks which they failed me in the NCT for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Have you priced a dealer? It's probably a very cheap part. Could you get a second hand one from a breaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

If you are going the breakers route try Summerhill Spares in Coolock.
    Link http://www.summerhillspares.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Was in contact with a Volvo supplier in the UK and he confirmed the rubber seal wasn’t available separately outside of the US, requires a new petrol cap which has the seal included. Bit ridiculous as thought I’d pick up the rubber ring for a couple of euro either online or in store/order
    Rang the Volvo dealer on the Naas Rd in Dublin 12 and their car parts sales confirmed the same. They didn’t have a petrol cap in stock but would have it tomorrow from the UK, price of €14.91+VAT so €18.34 total. Surprised as they’re £20 and upwards online before exorbitant postage if not going through ParcelMotel so have it on order and didn’t bother with the breakers yard not knowing how likely it would be to get one and then the age of it or how weathered the rubber seal was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Was in contact with a Volvo supplier in the UK and he confirmed the rubber seal wasn’t available separately outside of the US, requires a new petrol cap which has the seal included. Bit ridiculous as thought I’d pick up the rubber ring for a couple of euro either online or in store/order
    Rang the Volvo dealer on the Naas Rd in Dublin 12 and their car parts sales confirmed the same. They didn’t have a petrol cap in stock but would have it tomorrow from the UK, price of €14.91+VAT so €18.34 total. Surprised as they’re £20 and upwards online before exorbitant postage if not going through ParcelMotel so have it on order and didn’t bother with the breakers yard not knowing how likely it would be to get one and then the age of it or how weathered the rubber seal was.

Good result.... just curious as to why you'd contact a Volvo Supplier in another country... when there are plenty here... in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

swarlb wrote: »
    Good result.... just curious as to why you'd contact a Volvo Supplier in another country... when there are plenty here... in this country.

Bigger market so if the rubber seal was available separately a better chance there. Also to get a sense of how much I was going to be charged extra for being an Irish customer, in this case a discount which I was pleasantly surprised with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement