Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2020, 18:02   #46
unkel
Category Moderator

@kadman - that was very unlucky and very unlikely to have happened

If you're set on a W124, there will be others. If you are also interested in a W201, mine is up for sale (see DD or adverts), also very reasonable money for the condition it is in.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2020, 18:10   #47
w124man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadman View Post
I would appreciate your elaboration on the best years quoted.

Always happy to hear from the experts such as yourself, .
The W124 went through some facelifts. Series 1 cars up to mid 89, Series 1.5 cars to mid '92 and Series 2 cars to '95 - '97 (depending on the model)

Series 1 cars are the 'last of the bulletproof Mercs' as the worn out saying goes. These were built to the old Mercedes standards with proper steel and proper paint and are recognisable by not having the plastic panels on the sills and door bottoms. These cars have the M102 and M103 petrol engines and OM 601/2/3 diesels. Some of the best engines ever made by anyone fitted to one of the best built bodyshells and interiors ever built by anyone! Period!

Series 1.5 cars sees the 'cars built when the accountants took over' as the other worn out old saying goes! This is when they changed to water based paints on the 124 and they simply didn't get it right. Cars from around 1990 onwards were affected but not all oddly! What was worse were the plastic panels on the doors and sills and they helped the breeding rust problems as they held all the damp muck thrown up from the road!

Series 2 cars got the new M111 and M104 engines with the biodegradable engine wiring harnesses, poor quality steel for the shell, water based paints that they still hadn't cracked and lesser quality interiors. These are identifiable by the facelifted front end. These cars rust and rust badly in places where the Series 1 cars simply didn't. However, if you get a good one, they are a great car. My 1995 E200 is just that although I had to get a full respray as the paint started to 'spider' on every panel. A good Series 2 car will be hard to find but can be bought in Japan. Good ones are expensive but not as expensive as buying an average one!

Cars like the E500/500E will rust just like the rest of them even though everyone thinks they were built by Porsche - which they weren't! They were partially assembled by Porsche as MB didn't have the capacity. The 4matic versions didn't rust as badly as other Series 1.5 cars and this is because they were manufactured in Austria by Magna Steyr. They look the same as a 2WD but they couldn't be more different. Coupé and Cabriolet rust is a lot more serious as they need the strength but again the later cars had all the same quality issues.

The difference between my 88 and 95 cars is like chalk and cheese. They are all small differences but a fruitcake like me will notice every little thing. The quality of a grommet, a self tapper instead of a nut and bolt, plastic instead of rubber or something missing completely all adds up.

Last edited by w124man; 11-01-2020 at 18:16.
11-01-2020, 19:43   #48
Bawnmore

Here's mine - my 1st classic!

11-01-2020, 19:57   #49
Seweryn

Well said.

All series of the W124 have their good and bad points. For example the M111 engine was introduced in the last year of the middle face lift and (apart from the wiring issues) it is a very good engine, probably the best four cylinder petrol engine in the W124.

The last models also came with the 20 and 24 valve OM605 and OM606 Diesels, which are very nice engines, although nothing wrong with the earlier OM602 or OM603 (and OM601 and OM603 on some markets).

The other thing is that almost every piece of equipment in these cars was optional. I remember my friend used to have a 1987 300D that he bough in the 1990s with over half a million km on the clock and drove it for years while clocking further 600k km until the body started to rust. That car had some interesting options like a 100 litre fuel tank, self levelling rear axle (not standard in 4 door models), self dimming rear view mirror, all electric windows, air con, heated windscreen wash fluid container, etc.

The seats in the middle and last series are also more comfortable.
Thanks from:
11-01-2020, 20:33   #50
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkel View Post
@kadman - that was very unlucky and very unlikely to have happened

If you're set on a W124, there will be others. If you are also interested in a W201, mine is up for sale (see DD or adverts), also very reasonable money for the condition it is in.
I am not ruling anything in or out at this stage, so give me a link please
Advertisement
11-01-2020, 20:38   #51
w124man

The M111 engine is not as relaxed as the older M102 which is a more suitable engine for the 124. However definitely the M111 is the better engine.

As regards the seats, the earlier seats are definitely better than the newer ones in every way and having travelled all over 'old' Europe in both variants, even the Missus will attest to that. However, it will depend on your build as to how you fit into them.

The OM604/5/6 diesels were a great engine and are capable of huge performance. The OM606 engine block is basically an M103 engine block which shows how MB got it right back then! 3.4 and 3.6 AMG 6 cylinder versions of the M104 were diesel crankshafts in petrol blocks (with a few mods). Its such a shame that Mercedes Benz are no different from any of the other manufacturer these days

Having said all that, the W201 is everything a W124 is only a bit earlier .....

Last edited by w124man; 11-01-2020 at 20:42.
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2020, 21:05   #52
Seweryn

I find the earlier seats a bit too wide for me, but I am not a big lad, so that is why, they may suit others better for sure (they are more similar to the W123 seats). Or it may be a matter of extra wear in the car I had.

No, unfortunately M-B is not much different to anything else made these days with their idiotic ideas of putting bicycle chain at the back of the engine designed to fail and with transmissions sealed for (short) life until they fail right after the warranty period. The reason is simple - they are now built to a price tag to compete directly with equivalent competitors. Years ago a W201 for example (same as other M-B from that period) was a good bit more expensive than the nearest competitor. I do not have price lists from the 1980s, but I believe they were about 40% or so more expensive than other cars and there was an obvious reason for this. Still, there was a long waiting time for them...
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2020, 21:43   #53
unkel
Category Moderator

Quote:
I am not ruling anything in or out at this stage, so give me a link please
Here it is

Linky
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2020, 21:53   #54
kadman

I just want to say to all you knowledgeable MB posters, many many thanks for your concise
info on the marque, its really really helpful.

Thanks,
Tim
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2020, 22:21   #55
Seweryn

In your own time Tim you may watch some videos like this one why you should buy one :

(2) thanks from:
11-01-2020, 22:58   #56
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

I suppose I have found myself in the classic driver category. By mistake. Well "Youngtimer" status anyway. A pic of mine and my friend's car of a kinda similar status*.

Play spot the car with Italian. Mine looks like a badly drawn manga character by comparison. Though when the roads get twisty and the drivers get nervous I'd murder him. Then again, the fecker is currently restoring a 4WD Brera(the Alfa press car no less). So I need to up my game. AKA, learn to drive better.

I will say Alfaholic mates are the best mates to have, if you're a petrolhead of any stripe. They will always help, day or night and they invariably "know a man".

*and IMHO it most certainly will be. If I had a big shed and around 20 grand(not that much really, considering) A Brera would defo be in the mix, along with Fiat Coupes, anything Rallye, with the word Peugeot attached, Mitzi Evos, Scoobies, Celica GT4 etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boyracerz.jpg (479.9 KB, 528 views)
11-01-2020, 23:53   #57
kaizersoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawnmore View Post
Here's mine - my 1st classic!

That's lovely.
(2) thanks from:
12-01-2020, 10:29   #58
w124man

Quote:
I just want to say to all you knowledgeable MB posters, many many thanks for your concise
info on the marque, its really really helpful.

Thanks,
Tim
If there is anyone who is genuinely interested in buying a 124 of any year please PM me and we can try and meet up with one of mine and I will go through all the points to watch and where to find them. Its all well and good reading about it but when you have an actual car in front of you, you will remember better when you have actually seen where to look
12-01-2020, 11:53   #59
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by w124man View Post
If there is anyone who is genuinely interested in buying a 124 of any year please PM me and we can try and meet up with one of mine and I will go through all the points to watch and where to find them. Its all well and good reading about it but when you have an actual car in front of you, you will remember better when you have actually seen where to look
Thats very good of you, and i will contact you in the next couple of days and arrange something.
Thanks,
Tim
Thanks from:
13-01-2020, 09:44   #60
Bawnmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizersoze View Post
That's lovely.
Thanks - it's driving lovely. 93k miles. Was owned by an old couple in the UK and always stored in a garage overnight, so lovely and clean underneath. Had a spin from Galway to Leitrim and back just before Christmas and averaged 44mpg, so a nice handy daily driver too.

Last edited by Bawnmore; 13-01-2020 at 15:03.
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion