Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2020, 00:35   #31
kadman

What sort of budget should I aim for , if I am thinking of something like,
a half decent W124 Mercedes Benz 230E 86 vintage,

Thanks
Advertisement
11-01-2020, 08:35   #32
MrCostington

I saw this 260 at Swords last April, it was in really fantastic condition, and the seller seemed like a really nice honest guy

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1035136

It's on C&C for £4k, but but on carsieland, I think, for €4k, so not sure what the price is. He was looking for €5k in Swords IIRC. I was very tempted many times over the last year to pick up the phone, but I wanted a 123
(5) thanks from:
11-01-2020, 08:47   #33
Duke O Smiley

Love the seats in that
11-01-2020, 10:59   #34
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCostington View Post
I saw this 260 at Swords last April, it was in really fantastic condition, and the seller seemed like a really nice honest guy

It's on C&C for £4k, but but on carsieland, I think, for €4k, so not sure what the price is. He was looking for €5k in Swords IIRC. I was very tempted many times over the last year to pick up the phone, but I wanted a 123
So a fairly modest budget puts me in the ballpark.

I would have expected I would need more. As a comparison, in the classic

VW arena, which I am more used to. 5k gets you an untested OK beetle

and a potential rust bucket untested T25 camper.

Food for thought.
Thanks from:
11-01-2020, 13:16   #35
unkel
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadman View Post
So a fairly modest budget puts me in the ballpark.

I would have expected I would need more. As a comparison, in the classic

VW arena, which I am more used to. 5k gets you an untested OK beetle
VW and Ford are popular with the masses and have a lot of nostalgia here. Both were assembled here in big numbers and many peoples fathers and family members worked for them and / or have a history of owning them as family cars

Not many people in this country have memories of their dad owning a Mercedes in the 70s or 80s for obvious reasons

Which directly means VW and Ford classics are expensive and Mercedes classics are cheap
(6) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2020, 14:09   #36
kadman

Quote:

How reliable and cost effective to fix, is the bosch fuel injection system on the merc here.
11-01-2020, 14:38   #37
MrCostington

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadman View Post
How reliable and cost effective to fix, is the bosch fuel injection system on the merc here.
No idea, and hopefully I won't find out! W124man will say?
11-01-2020, 14:44   #38
kadman

Made contact with the guy over the last 2 hours to get details.
Checked out the mot history then.
Made up my mind this was the car.
Contacted him 20 minutes ago and asked another question before I jumped.

Someone else jumped 10 minutes ago and car is gone
(3) thanks from:
11-01-2020, 15:10   #39
MrCostington

Are you taking about the 124 I posted?

If so, so sorry, I should have PMed you kadman. I can't believe that, it's been for sale nearly a year. You never know, buyers do pull out etc, keep in contact with him. My apologies again.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2020, 15:31   #40
kadman

Quote:
Are you taking about the 124 I posted?

If so, so sorry, I should have PMed you kadman. I can't believe that, it's been for sale nearly a year. You never know, buyers do pull out etc, keep in contact with him. My apologies again.
Thats the one.

You have no need to apologise. On the contrary you have shown me that fine examples are available for my budget.

I'll keep in contact with him and see what happens.
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2020, 15:42   #41
MrCostington

Your man owes me a pint or two for selling his car!
11-01-2020, 15:45   #42
kadman

Quote:
Your man owes me a pint or two for selling his car!

I would have bought you a bottle of kilbeggans finest, never mind the pints
Thanks from:
11-01-2020, 16:32   #43
w124man

Some years ago I said that one day someone is going to say 'where have all the W124 saloons gone?' This day has arrived and people have realised that the Mercedes w124 is one of the most modern classics you can buy. They were bought on reputation by people who didn't maintain them and they died because of that and they are now so thin on the ground. That 260E would have been a good car to start 124 ownership. Parts are still available as they have a huge following on the Continent where good ones are worth three or four times what we pay here. Reliability will depend on its past service history and even the best ones will cost money to get right - 'right' will depend on your idea of right! Most are happy to accept a car that isn't concours standard which is good because you rarely find one that is. A good 124 was built between '85 and '89 if you are looking for one and they are great to drive and safe to travel in.

My 300SE stands me close on €20,000 now and my 250TD is heading that way closely followed by my 320SL but at least all three are mechanically perfect.
(4) thanks from:
11-01-2020, 17:13   #44
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by w124man View Post
Some years ago I said that one day someone is going to say 'where have all the W124 saloons gone?' This day has arrived and people have realised that the Mercedes w124 is one of the most modern classics you can buy. They were bought on reputation by people who didn't maintain them and they died because of that and they are now so thin on the ground. That 260E would have been a good car to start 124 ownership. Parts are still available as they have a huge following on the Continent where good ones are worth three or four times what we pay here. Reliability will depend on its past service history and even the best ones will cost money to get right - 'right' will depend on your idea of right! Most are happy to accept a car that isn't concours standard which is good because you rarely find one that is. A good 124 was built between '85 and '89 if you are looking for one and they are great to drive and safe to travel in.

My 300SE stands me close on €20,000 now and my 250TD is heading that way closely followed by my 320SL but at least all three are mechanically perfect.
I would appreciate your elaboration on the best years quoted.

Always happy to hear from the experts such as yourself, .
11-01-2020, 17:51   #45
MrCostington

kadman - I just checked there is a W124 version of the book I mentioned before, exact same name just change 3 to 4!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion