Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-11-2019, 23:39   #1
alfa beta

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

So, my Dad (God rest his motoring and hoarding soul) bought a new Peugeot 504 in 1976, drove it home, decided he wasn't that keen on it, wrapped it in a few blankets and some plastic sheets, then kept it hidden away in the garage for the rest of his (and its) life.

It's now 2019 so the car is 43 years old, yet to all intents and purposes, it's actually brand new - unregistered as far as I can see and with just a couple of hundred miles on the clock. I'd love to get it up and running but need a few pointers as to where I should start with regard to the tax/registration side of things as I've no knowledge about classics at all.

The car has no plates and there is no sign of a log book or any form of documentation, not even a sales invoice/receipt or anything like that (you see, while he was an avid hoarder of things, he wasn't so keen a keeper of paperwork :-). So, my question is, what would be the first step to take as regard getting this car officially on the road?

(Btw, my dad's entire estate was left to my mum when he passed away last year, so I guess she would be the official owner now and we would be looking to register it in her name.)

As I said above, any initial pointers from anyone who has any direct knowledge of this sort of thing would be great. I have done some googling but I haven't found a scenario exactly like this, so I thought it would be worth asking the question here and seeing what you guys think and what advice you could offer - Many thanks in advance for your help.
Advertisement
27-11-2019, 01:02   #2
irshmerc

Motor tax office, facts are always gonna be better than opinions.

Good luck
27-11-2019, 03:36   #3
macplaxton

NCTS will register it on behalf of Revenue. VRT category C is flat rate €200.

First step would be to approach an organisation or club in order to get some details verified. Membership or a fee may be charged.

From the NCTS:

"For Vintage Vehicles: if the original documentation is not available, a declaration in respect of the vehicle particulars from an enthusiasts’ organisation or club which provides the data necessary for registration will be accepted at the centre. The letter must include year of manufacture, first date of registration year, engine size, make and model."

Perhaps the IVVCC (Irish Veteran & Vintage Car Club - www.ivvcc.ie ) could help you either themselves or refer you to the appropriate organisation.

[I know in the UK the registration authorities there have a list of clubs (V765) they'll accept supporting evidence from where manufacturers no longer have records or aren't interested. From what I hear it's quite hard to get on the list and quite easy to get struck off it. If they don't actually see the vehicle themselves, they can't sign it off and in certain circumstances have to send another club on the list to assist (even if not for the same marque) as they might be considerably closer.]

Good luck with getting the information you need in a format that the NCTS require.
27-11-2019, 14:53   #4
alfa beta

Thanks for that info Macplaxton - and for the links - looks like a good starting point - appreciate your help
Advertisement
27-11-2019, 15:05   #6
Chinese whospers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo128 View Post
This thread is no use without pics.

Would love to see some, but was waiting for someone else to ask
(3) thanks from:
27-11-2019, 15:06   #7
OU812

It's probably going to need some work on the engine. If he just parked it after buying it & deciding he didn't like it (how rich are you exactly), then chances are the fluids in the engine are all gone & there may be some other damage.

Maybe you should document it

Love to see some pics
(3) thanks from:
27-11-2019, 17:28   #8
alfa beta

I'll post pics as soon as I can - At the moment the car is still well and truly covered and parked at the back of a (thankfully dry) shed surrounded by other dead (but, unlike the peugeot, very used and invariably rusty) vehicles. The old man could not get rid of anything lol.

Last time I looked at it (a good few years back now) the body and interior etc were absolutely perfect - it even had that 'new car smell'!! Mechanically I don't yet know what will need doing - obviously after years and years of just sitting there, lots of things would presumably be seized up. I'll just have to get googling and hopefully find someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to bringing something like this back to life.

Definitely an interesting project though and one that I'll update on this thread on as I navigate my way through it.

(Oh and as for the question as to whether my dad was rich. The answer is not really, just a bit eccentric!!)
27-11-2019, 18:14   #9
Isambard

we'll be happy to look at the rusty ones too.....
Advertisement
27-11-2019, 19:33   #10
The Red Ace

Rare to hear of a discovery like this in this country and it will draw some attention when you start to bring it to shows, as regards registering, it may be worth an email or phone call to Gowan distributors with the chassis number as they may still have records as to which main agent got delivery of the car when new. If you can find the dealer there is a chance records still exist which would tell you if it was registered and reclaim its original number. Good luck and looking forward to seeing some pics, btw I had a 404 around the same time and still have a 205 gti under wraps.
27-11-2019, 19:52   #11
Titzon Toast

This is gonna be great!
(2) thanks from:
27-11-2019, 20:40   #12
aujopimur

€200 VRT will not apply here, It will be liable to 36%VRT.
27-11-2019, 20:41   #13
Chinese whospers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Ace View Post
it may be worth an email or phone call to Gowan distributors with the chassis number as they may still have records as to which main agent got delivery of the car when new. If you can find the dealer there is a chance records still exist which would tell you if it was registered and reclaim its original number.

Yeah, it'd be more special with an original and not a ZV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titzon Toast View Post
This is gonna be great!

Like a motor version of the safe thread... only with something worthwhile
27-11-2019, 21:17   #14
w124man

Surely if this car has not been registered before all the normal VRT rules will not apply.
(3) thanks from:
27-11-2019, 21:30   #15
contrary_devil

Nice one OP.
I would also suggest that Gowan Distributors be your first port of call, I had to contact them a few years ago and I found them very helpful. If you're lucky someone there might be interested in your story and be more than willing to help.

Best of luck with your endeavour.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion