Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

27-07-2015, 09:16   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar Chasm View Post
Strange you mention the e36, i have one, and i can see from how its rusting that they will be rare in 10 years
The owner of a BMW dealership I used to work in has a brand new E36, not even registered, tucked away in storage. I've seen it a few times, it still has the plastic covering on the seats from the factory, & is showroom condition. He bought it as one of the final production E36's that came into Ireland, before the model was discontinued. There can't be many in the world in this condition! Then again, he has a lot of rare BMW's, including an M1.

Last edited by Myrddin; 27-07-2015 at 09:34.
Advertisement
27-07-2015, 21:31   #17
w124man

Frank Keane ...
27-07-2015, 21:58   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by w124man View Post
Frank Keane ...
Yup Quite a collection he has. Love the 850Ci....V12 quality.
28-07-2015, 01:03   #19
kev250

Mazda Rx7
Bmw e36 m3
Honda Civic ek9
Honda Integra dc2
Mitsubishi Evo

All the skylines and possibly the Nissan 350z, even if its just for that classic tax.
28-07-2015, 21:41   #20
goochy

he can well afford those bmws , the fat f'er was responsible for bmws being basic and overpriced in ireland for years !
Advertisement
29-07-2015, 10:55   #21
Nekarsulm

Quote:
Originally Posted by goochy View Post
he can well afford those bmws , the fat f'er was responsible for bmws being basic and overpriced in ireland for years !
Nope, every government we elected was the cause of that, with duty and VRT and customs duty. Leading to the phenomenon of the "Paddy spec" .
Thanks from:
29-07-2015, 11:02   #22
goochy

believe that if you want but since the manufacturers took over brands here they have transformed them audi vw renault etc
Thanks from:
29-07-2015, 19:41   #23
swarlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekarsulm View Post
Nope, every government we elected was the cause of that, with duty and VRT and customs duty. Leading to the phenomenon of the "Paddy spec" .
The phenomenon known as 'Paddy Spec' was created by Paddy himself, and his massive overblown inferiority complex. Cars all over the world were supplied to different regions in different specs, not just Ireland. We, as usual, base EVERYTHING (usually) on what happens in the UK....
(3) thanks from:
29-07-2015, 21:03   #24
unkel
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekarsulm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goochy View Post
believe that if you want but since the manufacturers took over brands here they have transformed them audi vw renault etc
Truth in both. On the old VRT regime, most BMWs attracted 36% VRT and 21% or thereabouts VAT. The VAT is charged over the price including VRT!

That means that any €500 option cost about €1000 incl. tax. And the base spec car was already expensive here again because of this taxation, so people were reluctant to tick any option boxes (hence the poverty spec / Paddy spec cars in Ireland)

When BMW took over importing cars into Ireland, Irish BMWs had the same standard spec as in the UK, which was much higher than we had here before. I'd say BMW took a margin hit on the Irish cars when they did that.

Also, optional extras have gone down in price over the years (probably for the same reason why a basic CD player for your living room cost €1000 in '86 and about €20 in '06)

And since the tax regime changes of 2008, the typical VRT on a BMW is half of what it used to be, making options even cheaper again

Us classic car lovers will curse all those highly specced cars in years to come, mark my words

There will be an awful lot of stuff that will go wrong, parts will quickly become obsolete, hard to get and expensive!
Advertisement
29-07-2015, 22:26   #25
w124man

Just to add to the discussion, the 'paddy spec' came about because the importers in a lot of cases wouldn't listen to their customers and spec the cars to what we wanted and not what the importer thought we wanted.

I had a very long and fruitless discussion with the sales manager of VW back in the early nineties as to why they wouldn't import Vento turbo diesels. He said there was no market for them.

He was wrong!
(2) thanks from:
01-08-2015, 00:37   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
One I think we're possibly seeing bottom prices for at the moment that I hope doesn't appreciate before I can get a garage / some space to work on one is a Saab 900. I think I'm hoping in vain though!
Awesome car, surprisingly easy to work on, and an absolute hoot to drive, trust me i know

Stick a 9000 engine management system in it and your laughing all the way to the bank, a guy i know sold one for 15k about 3 months ago, granted it was a super rare model, but you see the point
Thanks from:
01-08-2015, 20:55   #27
The Big Red Fella

Carlos sainz limited edition (5000 worldwide) st185 gt4 Toyota Celica & never mind the german merkle dirt folks!
(4) thanks from:
01-08-2015, 21:39   #28
WDB123

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarlb View Post
The phenomenon known as 'Paddy Spec' was created by Paddy himself, and his massive overblown inferiority complex. Cars all over the world were supplied to different regions in different specs, not just Ireland. We, as usual, base EVERYTHING (usually) on what happens in the UK....
Uk cars were always higher spec and no comparison in customer service
Sooner the better they get rid of the shower that has offered poor service to Irish customers,monopoly for to long!.
(2) thanks from:
01-08-2015, 23:49   #29
swarlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB123 View Post
Uk cars were always higher spec and no comparison in customer service
Sooner the better they get rid of the shower that has offered poor service to Irish customers,monopoly for to long!.
There have been plenty of cars down through the years that basically had the same spec regardless of market. Plus there are plenty of countries in Europe that had a lower spec than we had for certain models.
It was not a given that cars offered to UK customers automatically had a higher spec than those offered here.
What 'shower' do you mean... exactly ?
02-08-2015, 07:32   #30
Grueller

7th generation honda accord will be a classic in abour 20 years imo.
Thread Closed