Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-10-2016, 17:25   #61
kev1.3s

Me too but mine was a phase 1 van, many many find memory's.
Advertisement
27-06-2017, 09:56   #62
Dades
Would you like to know more?

Took me a while to dig out this thread for "foreign" bargains...

This looks like a steal...
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C817884

Or else there's a zero missing.
(6) thanks from:
27-06-2017, 11:20   #63
Tzar Chasm

Theres more than 1 Zero missing off that price.

Wow, if that was real its the deal of the century
27-06-2017, 12:00   #64
kev1.3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dades View Post

http://www.rardleymotors.com/ Sorry to burst everyone's bubble.
(2) thanks from:
27-06-2017, 18:04   #65
Dades

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1.3s View Post
http://www.rardleymotors.com/ Sorry to burst everyone's bubble.
Pity carandclassic.co.uk isn't like Argos where they honour misprices and let you pay the price they posted.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-06-2017, 19:14   #66
kev1.3s

Quote:
Pity carandclassic.co.uk isn't like Argos where they honour misprices and let you pay the price they posted.
But the add said 20 grand and I've come all this way!
28-06-2017, 08:12   #67
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

Quote:

Y'know in the event of a lotto win(if I ever played it), or a dotty ancient relative left me squillions in their will, one of those type Ferrari's would be about the most appealing(or a 308 which is the Ferrari in my head). When new the four seaters were usually more expensive than the two and what Enzo himself drove. Apparently pretty reliable too, if driven regularly.

What always puzzled me with the engines are the two oil filters. Sure looks great and all(cos Italian), but how are you supposed to pre fill them with oil when you do an oil change and surely they're going to have an issue with an air lock at the top so wouldn't fill fully anyway(cos Italian? To have such problems to worry about.

Oh and I'm old enough to recall when they could be had for that money...
(2) thanks from:
28-06-2017, 09:47   #68
Dades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
Y'know in the event of a lotto win(if I ever played it), or a dotty ancient relative left me squillions in their will, one of those type Ferrari's would be about the most appealing(or a 308 which is the Ferrari in my head).
I had a dream of travelling the continent with my family in a four seater Ferrari like that, or a 412.

That dream was crushed when the missis insisted on a third child. Nothing at all to do with me not being able to afford even a barn find Mondial.
(2) thanks from:
29-06-2017, 15:44   #69
unkel
Category Moderator

I've always been a fan of 2+2 Ferraris. The least popular, the least desirable, so the cheapest. I remember the Mondial and 412 going second hand for peanuts in the early 00s

Here's the '82 412 originally bought by prince Bernhard of the Netherlands (married to the Dutch queen)

He had a string of 2+2 Ferraris, the one previous to this one was a 365GT 2+2 and the one after a 456GT

And the one before the 365 was a '64 500 Superfast Speciale. That man enjoyed life. Had a bottle of Heineken with his breakfast everyday. Had 6 daughters with 3 women (one wife and two mistresses). Lived to be 93. Respect

Advertisement
02-07-2017, 12:56   #70
PaulK_CCI

Prince Bernhard was a bit of a character allright. He was also called the "playboy prince" and he had a habit of using any opportunity that came up to his advantage. Yes, he was a charmer, and lived life to the full, but his reputation was seriously tarnished when in the mid seventies he was found out to having accepted large sums of money from the US airplane company Lockheed suggesting to the company that as influencial person within the Dutch army/airforce he could arrange large orders for Lockheed. No proof was ever found that he actually had influenced the airforce, but he had received money from Lockheed and he was punished by a "uniform ban". He was never allowed to wear the official Dutch army/airforce uniform anymore in public (which was very painful for him, because he would almost always wear his uniform on public occasions).
He may have rumoured to have drank a bottle of Heineken at breakfast every morning, but in fact Freddy Heineken, the Dutch owner of the Beer company, didn't actually quite like the prince, because he claimed to have told several people that he was always annoyed with him that he nevery paid for anything. He came to lunch in Heineken's hotel in Amsterdam with large crowds numerous times and always left without paying, assuming that him being royalty he never needed to... 

He had a string of Ferrari's and he in fact was a personal friend of Enzo Ferrari. That is why he was allowed to make special modifications on any of the cars he owned. 
His friendship with Enzo started when he bought a 2nd hand RHD Ferrari 212 Inter Coupe Ghia chassis number 0139E

When Enzo heard about this purchase, he contacted the prince and offered to "upgrade" the car for him. The prince drove to Italy with a friend and he got a 212 Inter Coupe Pinin Farina instead. To avoid hefty duties and taxes on new cars, the two found out a way to avoid this and Enzo ordered to have the chassis number switched around! so that the new car could be imported as a 2nd hand car without paying import duties taxes. That car got the legendary reg number AA 13 with AA reserved for the Royal Family, and 13 his lucky number. This registration followed him on several cars.

Then two years later he had yet another upgrade, this time to a 250 Europa GT Coupe Pinin Farina, whereby Enzo and Bernhard performed the same chassis number swap, so that the car now currently has the chassis number 0139E, meaning that the 0139E chassis number was used on 3 different cars...

In 1957 he really went to town and got himself a 250 GT Speciale Coupe Pinin Farina 

followed by another 61 250 GT Speciale Coupe Pinin Farina. With this car, his "dark green" fetish started out as he ordered it in a very unusual Dark Green colour, which was specifically granted by Enzo as it wasn;t an original Ferrari colour.

In 1964 he went for the 500 Superfast, which was only offered for sale to the rich and famous and those who could genuinely afford it. The prince had his car ordered again in a very rare Pine Verde, and also he wasn't too keen on the big 5,0 litre engine and asked if Enzo could slot in the more refined 4,0 litre lump instead, which was obviously not a problem as it is now the only 500 superfast with a 4.0 litre engine. This car is currently on display in the Louwman museum in the Netherlands.

From then on he went through a 365 GTC/4, a 365 GT4 2+2 

a 400i, a 412 and finally a 456GT and a 456 M GT, all in Dark Green.

He passed away in 2004

Last edited by PaulK_CCI; 02-07-2017 at 13:01. Reason: Fix link
03-07-2017, 15:49   #71
Silvera

Fascinating stuff! Thanks for posting. He was a 'character' alright!
04-07-2017, 09:51   #72
Kevin_Herron

It's a fantastic story Paul.

I photographed the 212 Inter in Essen last year, it is totally original condition.
It doesn't look as though it has ever been resprayed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA13.jpg (152.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg AA13 a.jpg (158.3 KB, 59 views)
(6) thanks from:
04-07-2017, 12:19   #73
PaulK_CCI

Yes Kevin, that car was his 2nd car, the 212 Inter Coupe Pinin Farina and is the car that went through 3 identity changes 
Left the factory as SN 0269EU and was then re-issued with 0139E. (The original 212 Inter Coupe Vignale got the number 0269EU). When the prince traded up to the 250 Europa GT Pinin Farina, that car left the factory as 0387GT, but got the number 0139E, which it currently still has. 
The car in your pictures got the number 0387GT from the 250 Europa in 1955.

This car had been dormant in the states from 1961 onwards and when it was brought back to Holland in 2006 the owner decided he did not want a Pebbles Beach restoration and made the car driveable, without going overboard. That is probably why the car feels unrestored and nicely patinated. Note the bumpers have been replaced because they were too badly worn and they weren't original in the first place (possibly from an Aurelia...).
It was sold at an auction in 2008 for 350.000 euro's (which was considerably less than the estimate) and remained unsold at an auction in 2015 where it didn't fetch the reserve price of 1,7 million
(3) thanks from:
11-02-2019, 20:33   #74
BorneTobyWilde

Moved from the "This weeks Classic foreign bargains that i'm not buying" thread because it's not Irish.

I note this thread hasn't been used for a year-and-a-half. It got divided into Irish/Foreign because some lads get sea-sick.

Now less of the boldness and post them in the appropriate thread! Any stray posts just report them to be moved. Thanks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHRYSLER-...MAAOSwF59cYcLO

Something for the summer. Cheap classic and a bit different

Last edited by macplaxton; 12-02-2019 at 02:40.
(6) thanks from:
18-02-2019, 19:33   #75
supervento

Mmm E28....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123652639241
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion