Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Future Classics

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Think what will kill a lot of future classics is the amount of electronic/computerised gimcracks manufacturers put in cars nowadays. Going to be hard to source or repair these.

Because of the generic nature of connectors across most manufacturers range I can see there being a reasonable business opportunity arising building new modernised ecu's for a lot of these cars

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Because of the generic nature of connectors across most manufacturers range I can see there being a reasonable business opportunity arising building new modernised ecu's for a lot of these cars

Very true, and complete aftermarket ECU and fuel injection solutions are already widely available at ever decreasing prices, so don't think that'll be a major issue in the future. More troublesome might be smaller more model specific bits like dashboard instruments and suchlike, although for most things there are always lots of afternarket options if originality isn't a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

gholian wrote: »
    The new FIAT 500 I think. Streets ahead of the mini in my book.

I agree, it's a great looking reincarnation of the original one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Renault Avantime.

Like it or hate it, it ticks all the boxes. Rare, as it sold poorly, big, luxurious, very different. So far it hasn't proven to be ahead of its time, it's not a mould breaker like the Espace or Scenic, but it will be collectible. Prices seem to have stabilised as well after horrendous initial depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Can probably add the vel satis and citroen c6 in a few years also. Big french flagships are sadly on the wane.
    Saw president hollande was having to clamber out the back of a ds5 hatch on tv the other week. Mon dieu, the indignity of it all when he should be floating up in a big lwb gallic barge like the good old days of the 604/Cx/Xm/R30/R25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I'll be picking up a C6 in the middle of next year hopefully. Black with cream interior. There's often one parked on Nassau St belonging to the French embassy. The Alliance Francaise is somewhere there as well. It stands out a mile in the middle of all the silver A6's, E-Class and 5 Series that populate that area.

The Vel Satis was the Lord Mayors car for a while, 04-D-1, 05-D-1 and 06-D-1.
    07-D-1 was an Espace. The 06 one was for sale a couple of years back by some fella in Killester, I brought a SAAB 9-3 off him. Going cheap, but no NCT IIRC.

There isn't currently anybody doing a stretch version of the DS5, Tissier certainly don't see to be doing one, so I guess Hollande will have to stick it out.

They still have this baby for the big state jobs along with a couple of others, so they're not too badly off.

1972_Citroen_SM_Presidentielle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Jaysus, that just looks so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Jaysus, that just looks so wrong.

Oh no! I think it looks so right .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ Gianna Obnoxious Missionary

In a current world of 1.9tdi saloons that looks sooooo right!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Honda EP3 Civic type R. I saw a an article on Pistonheads which said as much. There has been at least one review of the new FK2 Type R comparing it to recent versions where the reviewer has preferred the EP3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭selectamatic

cnocbui wrote: »
    The Honda EP3 Civic type R. I saw a an article on Pistonheads which said as much. There has been at least one review of the new FK2 Type R comparing it to recent versions where the reviewer has preferred the EP3.

Will be a classic for sure as will the dc5 integra type R however in the case of the ep3 the jdm variant will be the one to have as it's just that little bit better than the uk one in every single way.
    IMO the ek9 type R and the integra dc2 type R will always be the preferred models in a classic sense though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

I have a skyline, a Mitsi GTO, an FTO, 2 MR2s and 2 Celicas - (one w. beams engine), a few EK civics and a couple of other jap yokes (mainly lexus IS/altezza types) I always admired, stuck into various sheds about the place. Mainly as I love jap metal but also because I reckon they're for nothing at the moment and will eventually go up. And if they don't - feck it, we'll have cars to play with over the coming years - 2 car mad sons also help make this sort of activity popular.. I sold my nice clean Carina 11 to a fella a while back...and regretted it the minute it rolled away...he slammed it and resprayed it and i see it a lot now.......looking well. They'll also make good money in years to come..grr..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Strange you mention the e36, i have one, and i can see from how its rusting that they will be rare in 10 years

BMW e32-all versions especially the v12

I'd have to call out the VW CC.

It never really got the love and wasn't a massive seller, so will be reasonably scarce, but to a lot of people it's an absolutely gorgeous car. Sleek stylish lines, the standard alloys might be the nicest standards I've seen, and the interior is cool and comfortable too. Usually on a 2.0tdi engine, which gives it plenty of poke, and you pick them up now sometimes for less than a golf of the same year (the price of a second hand golf always shocks me)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Mod note: Please refrain from resurrecting old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement