Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-09-2020, 12:53   #61
jmreire

And thats the right attitude to have,,I've been under many vehicles, either jacked up, as in this post, or in a pit, under 4 post or 2 post lift's...and I well remember many years ago working under a 2 post lift that was operated by compressed air,, and it had an alarming habit of unexpectedly dropping several inches. It was like this until a visiting German Engineer ( perhaps not too happy about working under it) decided to investigate why it was dropping, it turned out that when it had been installed, a pipe was incorrectly placed. But I know of one case where a car came off a 2 post lift, and badly injured a mechanic. So take care, check twice ( or more) that the car is secure before getting under it.

Last edited by jmreire; 10-09-2020 at 12:58.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-09-2020, 09:36   #62
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmreire View Post
And thats the right attitude to have,,I've been under many vehicles, either jacked up, as in this post, or in a pit, under 4 post or 2 post lift's...and I well remember many years ago working under a 2 post lift that was operated by compressed air,, and it had an alarming habit of unexpectedly dropping several inches. It was like this until a visiting German Engineer ( perhaps not too happy about working under it) decided to investigate why it was dropping, it turned out that when it had been installed, a pipe was incorrectly placed. But I know of one case where a car came off a 2 post lift, and badly injured a mechanic. So take care, check twice ( or more) that the car is secure before getting under it.
Yeah, and garage pit is another thing I wouldn't go near with a barge pole either, for fire reasons alone. When I worked in the UK many years ago, 2 young lads died in one in a garage not far from me and it put me off them for life.
(2) thanks from:
11-09-2020, 09:47   #63
kadman

Garage is a dangerous place and there are many accidents waiting to happen, if you
are not careful.
So is a building site, so is a manufacturing plant, so is driving.

If you are not going to participate in these activities because of impending danger, then maybe just stay at home.
Avoiding them because you may have an accident is illogical.

Appreciate the dangers, and take every precaution.

Tens of thousands die or are injured every year from driving cars. But that doesn't stop us driving them.

Safety first, everything else second.
(5) thanks from:
13-09-2020, 11:32   #64
MrCostington

Finally did an oil change yesterday, https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...postcount=9173 .

While of course I'd love to have a lift, it was grand working away with the wood stands, I don't think I'll need to go any higher. Obviously a small job but I had a look under the gearbox and and diff to check what tools I'll need for those jobs and it should be fine for that too.

Thanks everyone for all your help!
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion