Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 944Enthusiast

Just a quick question, that I though not deserved its own thread. Does anyone know of an Classic Insurance company/ broker that will cater to the under 25 age bracket (in this case a 21 year old)? I have contacted a few of the bigger companies but to no success.

With thanks,

944 Enthusiast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

8~) wrote:
    Recently I asked about the IVS policy when speaking with Hibernian about my everyday car policy. The IVS policy apparantly only covers travel to and from 'events'...

LOL

Hibernian are telling porkies :D I am insured with the BGT for 5,000 miles worth on an IVS policy. It's comprehensive and otherwise like a "normal" classic policy. I recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Just a quick question, that I though not deserved its own thread. Does anyone know of an Classic Insurance company/ broker that will cater to the under 25 age bracket (in this case a 21 year old)? I have contacted a few of the bigger companies but to no success.

With thanks,

944 Enthusiast.

Not from what I've read. Most insurance companies won't insure you on classic car insurance until you're 25. I read of one company that insured a 23 year old but they had to have another car on regular insurance.

I'm in the same position as yourself, I'm 21 too. I guess I'm just gonna wait.
    I can't wait to get myself an old beetle :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Guitar1979

Just a note on AXA's number.. the number that is specified on thier web site is incorrect. 1890 200016 is some other company who gets about 20 calls a day from people looking for quotes, LOL..

Real AXA Phone Number : 1890282820

Hope it helps...
    Silvera wrote:
    Companies :

Carole Nash, Dublin. Ph 1800 930 801
    www.carolenash.com/eire.asp

AXA Ireland. Ph 1890 200016
    www.axa.ie/car/classic_car.html

Brokers :

First Ireland (01) 8820800
    Majestic Financial Services (01) 8392026
    Norton Insurance, Bray. (01) 2862592
    O' Riordian Insurance, Cork. (021) 4275311
    Richard Brophy Ins, Portlaoise (0502) 82130

(Please note : Most classic policies stipulate that your classic must be a 'second vehicle', i.e. you must already have a normal car insurance policy. A mileage restriction also usually applies to classic policies.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

8~) wrote:
    Recently I asked about the IVS policy when speaking with Hibernian about my everyday car policy. The IVS policy apparantly only covers travel to and from 'events'... Dunno what to make of that. Hardly a conclusive answer. Currently insured with Carole Nash and don't like the sound of their small print.

I want to insure 4 cars in the 20+ age bracket at next renewal. Combined mileage under 5k per annum, access to everyday driver (spouse's car). Is there a simple and cheap solution???

eircooled club have recently sorted a great deal with an insurance company - for cars from 20 years and older - from only 190 euro per annum if it is your second car and after that it is only €57 more for every extra classic you add on - forget the exact details but it has made a lot of people very happy - have to be a club member to avail of it though:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

Is their an age restriction for joining these clubs in order to avail of their insurance deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

hi all,

I work for AXA in the classic car section. Just want to maybe help out and give you our terms and conditions for classic car. Mods - if this is not the right place for this or is not allowed, please let me know. Also I am not here fishing for business, just trying to let people know of our term and conditions to clear up any incorrect info - I will not be offering any prices here or even a guideline as I believe that would not be in the spirt, or rules, of this forum.

1. we will insure all cars (non-commercial) over 25 yrs old - however any car that is between 20-25 yrs old, we will look at and give you an answer on the phone. NOT all car in this latter age bracket will be acceptable, but give a call to find out.

2. All drivers have be over 25 and have a full irish or european drivers licence (or a licence accepted by the irish goverment as a full irish licence). The same rules apply for all named drivers.

3. In order to get classic insurance, you must have either private car or commercial insurance on another vehicle. Company car drivers will also be looked at as long as proof of insurance ca be provided. Proof of insurance in the form of a live proof of no claims bonus would have to be forthcoming after the policy is incepted.

4. We have 3 groups for the cars - a) 0cc to 1600cc. b) 1601cc to 2500cc and c) 2500cc and over.

5. We offer fully comp, third party fire and theft, and third party only over. We also do a laid-up cover for cars not currently on the road. No restrictions on any cover ie: car can only be damaged while parked, between certain hours, must be garaged, etc....

6. full european cover is given too on all classes and is for 30 days.

7. milage limits do apply and go from 1000 miles, up to 3500 miles, up to 5200 miles, and up to 10000 miles. (as a side note, if the milage is over 5200, it may be cheaper to insure the car under a normal private car policy.

8. Motor rescue is offered on all cover, and is included in the price.

9. Up to 4 cars can be covered on the one policy, with every other car ,after the highest rated one, being discounted.

10. The phone number to contact us on is : 1890 28 28 20. You will be given options to get a new quote and when you get through to a customer service agent, ask for someone in classic car.

I hope this helps. Of course i would ask that people please call the number to get questions answered as opposed to asking on here, as i will be far more contactable on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

IronWolf wrote:
    Is their an age restriction for joining these clubs in order to avail of their insurance deals?

Generally classic insurance isn't available for under 25's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 The Terror

folkswagen wrote:
    eircooled club have recently sorted a great deal with an insurance company - for cars from 20 years and older - from only 190 euro per annum if it is your second car and after that it is only €57 more for every extra classic you add on - forget the exact details but it has made a lot of people very happy - have to be a club member to avail of it though:)

I got the same deal through my insurance broker. I'm not in any club. I will check which company it is and revert. Any broker should be able to find the same deal though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Drivers:
    Polices are available on an Insured only or insured and named driver basis providing:
    �� All drivers must be aged 23 – 70 years and be a valid FULL E.U. Licence Holder.
    �� All drivers must be Claims free for 3 years
    �� All drivers must be Conviction Free for 5 years
    �� All drivers must not have been disqualified within the last 10 years.
    �� Proposer must have regular use of an everyday car, which is insured on a separate
    policy.

The above is according to the terms and conditions which I found following Mikes link to www.odon.com so there looks to be some inkling of hope for those under 25 ... and over 23 :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My cover is up on the RS2000 in a few days. First Ireland quoted €273 for comp. which i thought was ok, as it included an extra benefits package.

www.odon.com quoted €255, and Eirecooled indicated €190.

First Ireland checked them all out, and came back to me matching the €190. I was very happy to renew :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hellocrazy

Fiat 900t Campervan + Fiat 500

I moved back to Ireland recently after 7 years in Scotland,with my 1970 fiat 500 and 1981 Fiat Amigo campervan which was an ordeal in itself but since I got back to Dublin I have found that keeping them both on the road is going to be very costly. My insurance in Uk for the 500 was only £70, which is around 120euro comparred to the 440 euro quote i got in Ireland of which the car must be garaged at night. Appart from loving my 500 one main factor in the Uk was that it was so cheap to maintain and free road tax.

As for my campervan, her insurance was only £82 in the UK of which the insurance here is 510euro which i got quoted also from carolenash in Dublin which is a huge hike.

Ill not have to pay the vrt as ive owned them both for well over a year but the terms of carolenash is that the campervan is garaged also.

This is where my problems start, as I only have one garage, and the 500 just about fits in alone, leaving the campervan outside.

I have advertised them both on gumtree.ie for sale, as which ever one is sold first, I will keep the other, as asside from paying about the guts of 1000euro for both there insurance compared to the 300 euro in UK, I have no where to keep one.

Im writing this to get advise on what I could do or if anyone knows a really cheap little garage i could rent in dublin 15 or could anyone tell me why is ireland still so expensive for classic car insurance. Both these vehicles barely see 2000 miles a year each and neithre of them do over 60mph so i really dont understand why its so expensive considering my work car a 02 hyundai accent can be insured with axa for only 530euro fully comp and its 1.3 and will easily do 100mph.

Thanks.

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/40/15759240.html

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/78/15306278.html

P.S I did try advertising on adverts.ie but I was unable to access step 2 of 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

The good news is campervans / motorhomes get special rates for tax vrt and insurance. Road tax is about €60 a year and insurance is €300 - €350 through dolmen or stuarts brokers. Have a look on the campervan section on here and I'm sure you'll find more specific details.

Hellocrazy

Do Irish insurance companys recognise your scotish no claims bonus?
    If they do check out www.eircooled.com
    insurance.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭beanderb4

HelloCrazy,

Give Axa a shout. I had three cars insured with them for a total of £460. They charge you mainly for the first car and then only charge you about €50 - €80 for each subsequent car. Two of my cars are Fiats - I've a '68 500 and a '69 2.0L Dino Spider plus a '69 2.8L Merc so you should be able to do better than me!!!!

Best of luck, great to see another lover of Fiats on the site.:D

HI,

I just called the IVS and spoke to a very pleasant gentleman.

He informed me that to obtain the insurance You need to join there club at a cost of 30euro, and further to that, that to insure my fiat 500 3rd party, fire and theft was 195euro. The price above Posted earlier was slightly less.

My 500 does not drive on LPG but my modern car does and I find it a complete waste of time buying it. its nearly the same price as petrol and
    even though I live in dublin, my nearest station is fifteen miles away.
    I believe after some research that LPG will be removed from garages in ireland stated by calor gas. I cant be sure of this informations origin, I just wonder why are people talking about when it cant be purchased in the republic for the cheaper prices its sold for in the north.

REGARDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do IVS only insure your classic as a "second" car?

Mike.

I have found the best and the cheapest classic insurance from www.odon.com

Before calling O’Driscoll, O’Neil at the above link, I contacted several other classic insurers all who gave me the run around.

AXA refused insurance because my classic was modified, but advised me to get an engineers report and then they might insure it third party fire and theft for no lower than 425Euro.

Carolenash refused me under the fact that the car had a different engine. Apparently this is classed as a modification, so note your engine and chassis numbers match up.

Should you ever be in an accident and the insurance assessor locates different information, this can give them the right to reject your policy due to incorrect information.

Ann from O'Driscoll O'Neil www.odon.com advised me that they do require an engineer's report but that this is with regard to the cars overall condition.

The premium was based on that the car would be garaged at my home address over night, but it was stressed to me that if the car had been tampered with outside a different address, I was still fully insured.

The cover included a full breakdown package should I ever breakdown. Highly unlikely being a fiat..!!

Like modern car insurance O'Driscoll O'Neil term your quotation based on your personal information and on the size of the engine. Owning a Fiat 500 I know of very few smaller classic cars and assumed I was in for a bargain.

Imagine my disbelief when they quoted me 185euro, fully comp for my 1970 fiat 500and 50euro for every other car on the policy. The insurance commenced straight away and it could not have been any easier.

I’m very happy and for once Ireland is not ripping me off as the combined insurance is lower than what I would have paid in the UK.

Thanks to those of you who advised me about www.odon.com. and other classic insurers.

Happy Motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Deesse

Hi all. I just joined as i'm thinking of buying a Citroen DS from England. After reading this thread I rang IVS after I rang Carol Nash, with whom I have a motorcycle policy (euro700/year!), and was politely told to get lost as they'd only insure me if i also had an everyday car! I asked why it had to be a "car", when my "everyday" is a motorbike, but it was like talking to an automaton - no logical argument allowed!

Anyway, feeling a bit sick - a common feeling when talking to insurance companies - i rang the IVS mentioned here, and I spoke to a very nice and easy going sort of man. He said that they could insure a 2.3L Citroen for 195 a year. He said that the application form insists i have another vehicle, but said that he didn't see any problem with it being a motorcycle. He insisted that they (the IVS) were a "friendly society" and that they were about helping people enjoy their cars rather that putting obstacles in the way.

My reservation (insurance just makes ya so cynical!) is that when i asked him to send me the form for a look, he said that i'd have to pay 30 quid to join first. He seemed genuine, but is he being honest? Does anyone here have any advise or experience with them?

Any advice on how to proceed would be really appreciated:)

IVS only ask that you be a member of the society, how else do you think they fund all the niceness? :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Deesse

mike65 wrote: »
    IVS only ask that you be a member of the society, how else do you think they fund all the niceness? :)

Mike.
    Thanks Mike. I'd find that funny, only I read Dade's post #24 saying that when he got the application form from IVS, it asked for a "copy of his private car insurance policy" although i think he'd just been told on the phone prior to becomming a member that he was supposed to have another everyday vehicle. So what IS the case with them? Will they insure me with my motorbike insuarance or not?
    I suppose I'm asking if it's whoever underwrites the policy that IVS is selling that needs to be satisfied, or does the nice kindly gentleman on the phone line really have the discretion to say who they insure or not?
    Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Hi, quick one. Trying to surprise the old man by insuring his classic project for xmas. ODN have given me a great quote, however they need an engineers report (car is 30yrs old exactley). Now problem is that I can't exactley sneak a mechanic into the garage to give it the once over ! So how do I make it a surprise, are there any other insurers that might not require the report ? (apart from Irish Vintage Society, the whole sending off membership in the post with Postal orders etc... does not appeal to me at this time of the year, time is short etc...).

Who can do an engineers report ? My own brother is an apprentice mechanic, what qualifications are required ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Another quick question, lads, does classic insurance only apply if a car is 30 years old? Is it possible to get a classic-type policy with a car aged 15 or over?

20 years is the usual but some companies say they can make exceptions for certain special (ie rare/valuable) vehicles.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

A couple of questions you veterans might know!!

Does anyone know of a Renault club in Ireland?

Is there anyone doing classic mechanical repairs?

How much is motor tax on a 2litre classic?

I tried ICON for insurance but there classic site is down ATM

Thanks for any help and suggestions.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭romperstomper

hi guys, first off great thread.

i have just insured my first classic, '88 300s W126 through odon

nearly 100 yo yos cheaper than axa (next nearest) and a very reasonable 280! (comp)

v. happy with that

Did you insure it as your only car or is it the weekend cruiser?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭romperstomper

weekend cruiser. the only ppl who can afford this thing as an everyday car have sheik as their first name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 stevers

Hi there. First off id like to say fair play to all of ye helping each other out with each others problems. I think its great especially with cars.
    Im currently doing up a 1983 mini city E. Im driving next april and would love to drve my mini..i have read other posts saying that you have to be a lest twenty five to be insured to drive a classic car...needless to say three years ago when i first got the car i didnt even think of this!!
    and so to my question..

is there anyone out there at all that will quote a 17 year old with a provisional licence to drive a 998cc mini? Thanks.

• Advertisement

stevers wrote: »
    Hi there. First off id like to say fair play to all of ye helping each other out with each others problems. I think its great especially with cars.
    Im currently doing up a 1983 mini city E. Im driving next april and would love to drve my mini..i have read other posts saying that you have to be a lest twenty five to be insured to drive a classic car...needless to say three years ago when i first got the car i didnt even think of this!!
    and so to my question..

is there anyone out there at all that will quote a 17 year old with a provisional licence to drive a 998cc mini? Thanks.

You would have to insure it as a main car.
    Best try and get your test would be a huge help

Advertisement