Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No respect for dogs boundaries

Options
2»

Comments

Terrier breeds vary in their propensity for sudden mood changes when things aren't going according to their plan. Having volunteered a short while in a rescue centre and from other experience I found that quite a few Jack Russells could turn on you in a thwarted cat-like fashion if you did the wrong thing by them, but not all. They could appear to be enthusiastic and friendly, even submissive one minute, but if you tried, eg, to put them back into the kennel, they became positively hazardous with the teeth. Different breeds come more frequently to rescues for different reasons. I remember some lovely Siberian Huskies kept being returned to the rescue centre because they demanded a lot of attention and energetic walking, but unlike the the small terriers I had not problem physically pushing them away from trying to force their way out of the kennel after walkies. Toy dogs tended to be surrendered because owner had become incapacitated or had died. Salukis, lurchers etc get handed over because if they are hard to control and love bounding away. The more notoriously potentially aggressive breeds sometimes had been in very poor ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've never heard anyone describe anything as "boisterous" ...apart from dogs who are batsh1t crazy lol :rolleyes: Sounds like they had no interest in training him OP so he has landed on his feet with you! I'd suggest a harness with lead left trailing rather than letting him run around with a Flexi - I've had my leg cut by somebody's flexi lead when the dog ran in to play with mine :( The lead doesn't need to be a mile long - just long enough that you could catch up and step on it if the dog was running off. Another tip would be to carry something squeaky (or just the squeaker!) to get his attention if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Can you not get one of those little signs dog in training do not touch, until you know he's okay with strangers? Think they use it for guide dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Personally, I'm that lunatic who yells "he's contagious" if someone is approaching that I do not want approaching lol... I have to say, it works for me and my dogs are kept safe.

Sometimes, it's just me who doesn't want the social interaction, not the dogs!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Personally, I'm that lunatic who yells "he's contagious" if someone is approaching that I do not want approaching lol... I have to say, it works for me and my dogs are kept safe.

Sometimes, it's just me who doesn't want the social interaction, not the dogs!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

tk123 wrote: »
    :pac:

"I had a German Shepherd years ago, had to give it away/get rid of it/blah blah blah/amazing breed"!

I can only handle so much of the same talk from some folks!!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Sorry i re-read it and it does actually read that way! No not at all what happened. I said I only have him a week and he could bite. Maybe she just heard he bites in which case I would have to say her muzzle comment was fair!

I always muzzle train any dog that comes to me by way of foster or if my own...merely so they won’t be freaked out if it it gets done by a vet, nurse or groomer. I never knew what it must feel like for them until we started having to wear masks... I absolutely hate, detest and can have a panic attack while wearing one, yet I still do and can tolerate it if needs be, because I got trained...

Our Pom x is wary of people & dogs coming at her/us so if in a park and kids start running toward us while we are playing or training I’ll be very stark and say no, give the hand signal to stop and if ask to be petted I say no flat out. She is well trained to focus on me so I can swiftly move if needs be & I don’t feel bad and generally don’t give a reason. Sometimes I will explain that she’s not fond of being petted by strangers and I don’t want to push her.

We live in a rough enough area & will often be asked does she bite & I say yes. I know it’s not the best thing but I prefer to keep it consistent for her so we can go about our walks and go the places we like.

Just take your time with it, you’ve not had your dog that long and it can sometimes take about 6 months to really understand their limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

@VonVix ha ha ha, you’d never know it, but I can be pretty unsociable too...

VonVix wrote: »
    "I had a German Shepherd years ago, had to give it away/get rid of it/blah blah blah/amazing breed"!

I can only handle so much of the same talk from some folks!!

I’ve had people come up Bailey a good few times over the years and ask if they can pet him - then full on put their head to his head and have a little cry as they tell me about their retriever who died! :(:o Bailey is more than happy to be their therapy dog and just wags his tail!
    I think he’s fed up of the sight of me at this stage working from home since March - he’s stepping towards random people all the time on walks to get pets off them! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Our guy is a rescue too and is fairly reactive. He is a million times better than he was, but like your dog, motor bikes drive him nuts as do hi viz jackets. He is mainly okay with other dogs now, depending on their size. Initially it was every dog we met he had a problem with, but thanks to a lot of hard work, patience and guidance from some other owners we met, he's so much better. So there is hope!

Could I ask what you did? We have a very reactive terrier x rescue who goes bananas when out for a walk if he sees another 4 legged creature. I've taken to walking in secluded areas in order to avoid this, but that is not ideal either....
    Curious to know what worked for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Could I ask what you did? We have a very reactive terrier x rescue who goes bananas when out for a walk if he sees another 4 legged creature. I've taken to walking in secluded areas in order to avoid this, but that is not ideal either....
    Curious to know what worked for you.

No problem. I watched a lot of Zach George videos on you tube. He said to keep the attention and focus on you. So we started off with treats in our pocket and went the same route every day.

Just as we were walking along when there were no dogs around, I held the treat and used the same word 'look' when he looked at me he got the treat. When we came across the dog, I held the lead tight and had the treat out and said the word and when he looked at me he got a treat. All the time continuing to walk briskly until we were in the clear. If it took 2 or 3 treats so be it. It wasn't always reliable, if he didn't look at me he didn't get a treat, but sometimes he wouldn't care :pac:

Initially, I avoided busy times in the park and over time extended it so he had to keep looking to get the treat. He's a small dog, with a harness so in fairness he was fairly easy to keep moving.

We started to meet the same dog owners and got to know them. They kindly allowed their dogs be Guinea pigs and we started with small little sniffs (well the dogs did... Not us :D). Our guy's tail was wagging, which I took to mean he wasn't so angry anymore. When he was good and had a nice happy interaction, he got a treat. He doesn't get treats any more because he's so good, but he still looks to me for a bit of praise when he's had a nice pleasant stop and sniff :D

Slowly but surely his issue was down to alsations, huskies and blonde dogs, anything else was grand :pac: We got so many. 'it's always small dogs that are the loudest' comments :rolleyes: But we kept at it. Now blonde dogs are on the OK list and some huskies, but alsations still require a treat and work to get by. So he's still a work in progress but a lot better than he was.

It wasn't easy especially in the beginning. It was mortifying to bring him out and have him bark at everything/one. But thankfully he likes his treats and he did really well in fairness to him.

Not sure whether any of that helps and it probably flies in the face of best recommended practice, but it worked for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I've the same issue with other dog owners...

Does my head in. I had a dog try to mount her recently. She went nuts... the other dog owner went off in a mood. :mad:

The other dog owner thought it was your fault? Wow.

That's happened us occasionally - my (sterilised) bitch is the sweetest thing ever, but a couple of times a dog has tried to mount her, and by heavens she put them in their place PDQ!

Never occurred to me that the other owner should do anything other than apologise for their own dog's poor behaviour though. And TBF that's what's always happened. I always say (nicely) not to worry, that it'll help him learn a lesson not to be too pushy!

Mind you this isn't in Ireland, maybe dog owners are not so touchy over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Just got a doggo that loves his walks.

He is a rescue and I just don't trust him with strangers yet especially kids. However he is still a pup and really cute so have a big problem with strangers coming up and petting him without asking. Not to mention people whistling and clucking at him when I am trying my best to lead train him!

Some woman on my lunch walk said he should be muzzled if he might bite.. I was like no you will only get bit if you approach suddenly from behind (like she did) , as a human might react if surprised.

Same with kids running up. Trying to be nice and explain calmly but their fingers are down I can say anything! Also I know its important to stay calm because he will sense it. He had been surrendered because he wasn't great with kids. So I don't know exactly what that means or what his limits are but he seems fine so far (thank god).

The covid thing is another reason I don't want people approaching...

Title probably should read "No respect for my boundaries" :p

This is a rant more than looking for advice, I know I should just say, please don't touch him as nicely as possible.

Well done on rescuing, I have rescued myself & you will be well rewarded by their loyalty.
    Have a look on https://www.facebook.com/neondog2016/

they do highvis jackets for you & the dogs & lead covers , all with various messages. I bought them recently after my on-lead dog was attacked by an off lead dog & suffered 2 broken bones in her leg & is now terrified of off lead dogs, these items have been a massive help as we work on her rehabilitation .
    Never be afraid to ask people to give you space & not approach your dog , you are his advocate & he has been through a lot of stress & upheaval in his little life already.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

I so get this! I live in a very built up area and as soon as I leave the house to bring my two for a walk we are bombarded with kids.....they literally run up and throw themselves down on the ground, rubbing them etc.
    While my two are ok with this, I am not. I can't be sure kids won't pull at ears and tail etc
    So as I see them coming my way....I say "hello, doggies a bit cross today" or "doggies have a sick tummy today"
    Kids straight away back away. I don't want the kids to be frightened of the dogs, but it's the only way I can keep them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Just by way of update, he has come on leaps and bounds the past 4 days. He absolutely loves other dogs.

I always had dogs in the country with miles of open fields and quiet roads. Having a dog in the city is a different experience and he doesn't seem to have an ounce of road sense yet. I have relaxed a lot with him the past few days-we are in a great routine and he is a joyful distraction from the doom and gloom!

Advertisement