Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paying builder best method

Options
  • 28-09-2020 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

Hi

Getting my first stage payment done and I was just going to do a simple bank transfer but then found out I can only do at most 10k on-the-line. What method did you guys use.

Get a bankers draft, write a cheque (I don't have a cheque book) or is there an easier method of doing a large bank transfer.

I can use either PTSB and BOI

Thanks

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can usually do a larger transfer in-branch, or if you kick up a big enough stink on the phone they'll put the bigger one through for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭wildwillow

You can do it over a few days.. Most builders will accept that. Saves the bother of going to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Hi

Getting my first stage payment done and I was just going to do a simple bank transfer but then found out I can only do at most 10k on-the-line. What method did you guys use.

Get a bankers draft, write a cheque (I don't have a cheque book) or is there an easier method of doing a large bank transfer.

I can use either PTSB and BOI

Thanks

Albeit that I'm not doing a full build from scratch (we are doing an extension), what is the standard in terms of payment to builders - is there a chunk (10\20%) paid up front to allow him get started and buy materials and then additional payments done every week or couple of weeks to keep things ticking on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Albeit that I'm not doing a full build from scratch (we are doing an extension), what is the standard in terms of payment to builders - is there a chunk (10\20%) paid up front to allow him get started and buy materials and then additional payments done every week or couple of weeks to keep things ticking on?

I'm doing a full house build with a BOQ, so no paying him in advance and I would be very dubious on this anyway.

With my builder he submits a valuation on work done e.g 50% of foundation based on the BOQ price. The engineer certifies it, send it on to the bank wait about 8 weeks after they make you jump through a few more hoops and then you pay him. I am after only one payment but he said hes going to do a valuation every 2 months so 6 payments in total (12 month build)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Advertisement